Picture of your tractor on your trailer

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
Sweet rig!

Never tried the wheel strap method. Still running 3/8” Grade 43 chains through shackle on drawbar on back and loader tube on front. Do you find the wheel strap method easier and/or better than chains and load binders?

Also, it looks like you’re using auto type straps on the fronts so that’s pretty straightforward.

What you doing for the rear? Looks like a standard strap that you’ve woven/wrapped around the wheel somehow. Have you found that to be reliable to not slip?

I tow a lot of cars and wheel straps are becoming the standard. The front are wheel straps for autos and the rear are just a strap wrapped around the back of the tire and crossed on the front. I do have to use 2 ratchets 1 won't tighten both ends of the strap. You can actually see the tire being squatted when you tighten them. OCD is part of the reason I started doing this. I didn't want to scratch my tractor. LOL

Reactions: 1 user

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
555800A2-9693-45B2-A3ED-DA8BC661AF31.jpeg

1100# tongue weight, total trailer and cargo here is 8100#.

Reactions: 4 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
2021 Silverado with the 3.0L duramax, 2012/2013 18’ 7000lb car hauler. Did the math, with that set up I’m sitting at around 6-6200lbs. Max tow rating is 9300lbs. Side note: I will never again own a truck that doesn’t have tow mirrors. They are great!

8EEC6061-B312-4A54-934C-ACCBF318125B.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
My first run on the trailer.
AA781C43-9E57-4FA3-B3B3-BFE60F6DE920.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Going to mow the roadside a couple kms down the road.
64377771140__07C692BF-679E-42E4-9BE9-4D78C132D3CB.jpeg
64378078755__372AC8CD-F034-4B26-8361-9E5681EA944D.jpeg

I'm sure some will say that's not enough trailer. But by NZ standards it's a big trailer.....

Reactions: 4 users

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Pic of my M4050 getting delivered to my farm.
IMG_4321.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

SGT13

Equipment
Bx23s, CB05 bucket, GS05 scraper, Shop made ballast, hangers, & anchor pts
Sep 2, 2021
Arizona
My right shoulder rotator cuff is in bad shape. It makes removing, installing, and putting away those ramps quite difficult.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I have the same issue. Already looking at ramping mods with spring assist to keep from having to stow ramps.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
2021 Silverado with the 3.0L duramax, 2012/2013 18’ 7000lb car hauler. Did the math, with that set up I’m sitting at around 6-6200lbs. Max tow rating is 9300lbs. Side note: I will never again own a truck that doesn’t have tow mirrors. They are great!

View attachment 64561
I agree on tow mirrors! My F150 has the optional tow mirrors (not standard on tow or max tow packages) that telescope out 2" - these are basically the same mirror on the superduty's.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have the same issue. Already looking at ramping mods with spring assist to keep from having to stow ramps.
Not sure if this helps... in the pic below, I circled the "Elevator Lift Springs" I installed almost 15 years ago. It still works great. I used to have a 6 foot gate that was VERY heavy. After my double bi-lateral hernia surgery I knew I needed to do something with the gate. I had installed two of the elevator lift springs. It worked great. You could lift the gate with a finger.

Since then, I cut the gates back down to 4 feet and only use one spring to handle the entire gate. I've seen the other types that mount on the top rail of the trailer...but they look like they would be in the way when loading over the sides of a landscape trailer.

Their website can be found here: https://www.elegator.com/features4.html

elegator lift spring.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Great pics and discussion! I'm always amazed by the knowledge and creativity of this group.

When I trailer my BX23 TLB I use four chains (two in front and two in back) to secure the 4 corners to the trailer.

I have a friend who says a long chain in the front and rear that goes through the frame or attachment point and attaches on both sides of the trailer is sufficient to meet safety standards .

What are the requirements for a less than 3k pound tractor?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Great pics and discussion! I'm always amazed by the knowledge and creativity of this group.

When I trailer my BX23 TLB I use four chains (two in front and two in back) to secure the 4 corners to the trailer.

I have a friend who says a long chain in the front and rear that goes through the frame or attachment point and attaches on both sides of the trailer is sufficient to meet safety standards .

What are the requirements for a less than 3k pound tractor?
Your friend is correct as long as the chain is rated (WLL) high enough. So a 1/4 inch grade 70 transport chain is enough.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Your friend is correct as long as the chain is rated (WLL) high enough. So a 1/4 inch grade 70 transport chain is enough.
As i understand, many states follow the federal regulations, at least for commercial transportation. And that's the rules i follow. I've not researched non commercial regulations even though I'm not commercial.

As i understand it, if the securement chain/strap crosses the cargo and attaches to trailer twice, you count the full WLL of that chain/strap. If it attaches to the cargo, you count half the WLL. The total containment of all straps should be at least 1/2 the weight of the cargo. In addition, there are a minimum number of chains/straps required based on length and weight. In addition, you need to secure all buckets, extensions, etc for equipment. So a tractor with FEL needs at least 3 anchor (if crossing). 2 for tractor, one for FEL.

For me, when I haul my bx2380 with belly mower, i currently use 2 x 1667 WLL straps (3334 total WLL), well more than half weight of tractor and mower).

Commercial regulations-

ncridgerunner

Equipment
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
As i understand, many states follow the federal regulations, at least for commercial transportation. And that's the rules i follow. I've not researched non commercial regulations even though I'm not commercial.

As i understand it, if the securement chain/strap crosses the cargo and attaches to trailer twice, you count the full WLL of that chain/strap. If it attaches to the cargo, you count half the WLL. The total containment of all straps should be at least 1/2 the weight of the cargo. In addition, there are a minimum number of chains/straps required based on length and weight. In addition, you need to secure all buckets, extensions, etc for equipment. So a tractor with FEL needs at least 3 anchor (if crossing). 2 for tractor, one for FEL.

For me, when I haul my bx2380 with belly mower, i currently use 2 x 1667 WLL straps (3334 total WLL), well more than half weight of tractor and mower).

Commercial regulations-
Interesting info. I previously looked at the DOT regs online and they talk about weight and length determining the number of tethers. It sounds like my machine requires 4 tethers. Not sure if a long chain crossing the load and secured on both sides of the trailer meets the criteria.

Then again reading the governmentese of these regs is almost as difficult as reading a cell phone bill.....

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Interesting info. I previously looked at the DOT regs online and they talk about weight and length determining the number of tethers. It sounds like my machine requires 4 tethers. Not sure if a long chain crossing the load and secured on both sides of the trailer meets the criteria.

Then again reading the governmentese of these regs is almost as difficult as reading a cell phone bill.....
There are a few youtube videos where the youtuber goes over the specs with a state trooper. One is Tractor time with Tim with Indiana State Trooper.

From my understanding you need 2 chains/straps for all equipment for 1st 10' length then 1 additional chain/strap for each other 10 feet (or fraction of 10 feet). Plus if you have a FEL, you need one for the FEL (If you notice excavator haulers always strap down the bucket in addition to the excavator itself. If you cross the cargo, you count the WLL of that chain/strap, if you go from trailer to equipment, you count half the WLL of the chain strap. Total of all WLL must be at least 1/2 weight of cargo.

15' tractor with FEL needs 4 cross straps - 2 for 10' tractor, 1 for extra 10' + one for Loader.

Basically a 5500 lb cross chain is the same as 2x 5500 lb chair securing each side of the equipment.

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Dan

Last edited:

ncridgerunner

Equipment
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
There are a few youtube videos where the youtuber goes over the specs with a state trooper. One is Tractor time with Tim with Indiana State Trooper.

From my understanding you need 2 chains/straps for all equipment for 1st 10' length then 1 additional chain/strap for each other 10 feet (or fraction of 10 feet). Plus if you have a FEL, you need one for the FEL (If you notice excavator haulers always strap down the bucket in addition to the excavator itself. If you cross the cargo, you count the WLL of that chain/strap, if you go from trailer to equipment, you count half the WLL of the chain strap. Total of all WLL must be at least 1/2 weight of cargo.

15' tractor with FEL needs 4 cross straps - 2 for 10' tractor, 1 for extra 10' + one for Loader.

Basically a 5500 lb cross chain is the same as 2x 5500 lb chair securing each side of the equipment.

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Dan
Thanks for your input. The Indiana Trooper was very informative. I recommend this to others who have questions. There is another Youtube interview that talks about equipment over 10k pounds that is interesting too.

I'm doing more than I need for my little tractor but that is better than being out of compliance in the event of an incident.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Thanks for your input. The Indiana Trooper was very informative. I recommend this to others who have questions. There is another Youtube interview that talks about equipment over 10k pounds that is interesting too.

I'm doing more than I need for my little tractor but that is better than being out of compliance in the event of an incident.
I totally agree. Especially considering the less than stellar driving habits of some...:LOL:

Dan