Photo Posting

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Since we so often ask for pictures, it would be great if someone or several tech savvy someones could post concise directions that could be placed at the top of the existing sticky thread, or make a new thread. Much of the information is there, but it is buried 8 or 10 posts down.

E.g which file format works the best, jpg or?, best pixel dimensions, resolution, etc. How to upload, and from where.

If there are easy ways to go directly from photos taken with tablet or cell phone to a post without having to transfer to PC and have the picture come out a reasonable size, or at all, that would sure be nice and make it easy for folks to get the information up fast. This is going to be different for Android and iPhone systems so that's why we need several someones.

I'd volunteer but I am still fighting my own battles with the system, the latest tries to upload directly resulting in the blue box with the white question mark. There may be some incompatibilities between V Bulletin and Android. :(

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Since we so often ask for pictures, it would be great if someone or several tech savvy someones could post concise directions that could be placed at the top of the existing sticky thread, or make a new thread. Much of the information is there, but it is buried 8 or 10 posts down.

E.g which file format works the best, jpg or?, best pixel dimensions, resolution, etc. How to upload, and from where.

If there are easy ways to go directly from photos taken with tablet or cell phone to a post without having to transfer to PC and have the picture come out a reasonable size, or at all, that would sure be nice and make it easy for folks to get the information up fast. This is going to be different for Android and iPhone systems so that's why we need several someones.

I'd volunteer but I am still fighting my own battles with the system, the latest tries to upload directly resulting in the blue box with the white question mark. There may be some incompatibilities between V Bulletin and Android. :(
Sheepfarmer, I am new on here but have not had any issues posting because the other forum I follow mainly (Open Range Owners) limits the size to 800x800 mp so I reduce all of my pics using Google Picasa. I found the following info on the faq's search that will probably answer most of your questions: http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=pictures&match=all&titlesonly=0

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes, that link and the info in Scott's thread are invaluable. There are a bunch of ways to reduce pixel dimensions that work well on a computer. Do you use Picasa on your phone to modify photos for upload??

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Windows based users can reduce resolution just using the built in paint program.
  1. Open the image in paint
  2. Click "Resize" on the ribbon
  3. In the dialog box, select "Pixels" instead of "Percentage"
  4. Keep the "Maintain Image Aspect" ratio box checked
  5. Select your maximum width you want the image to be in pixels (It will automatically make the height follow at the same ratio)
  6. Click "OK"
  7. Save as the format you want
  8. Upload to BBS
You're all resized, no third party software required.

Now, if you use the advanced attachment functions of the BBS, it will handle some resizing all on its own, at least the last time I ran this software it did, but that was about a decade or so ago when I last ran a website. :rolleyes:

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Yes, that link and the info in Scott's thread are invaluable. There are a bunch of ways to reduce pixel dimensions that work well on a computer. Do you use Picasa on your phone to modify photos for upload??
I don't use the phone to post directly always send to my laptop to do that.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks Shaun and Jim, those are great. I can cut and paste into a word doc, then maybe one of the moderator's can put the text at the top of the stickied thread so all is in one place.

Anyone successfully gone from phone to post directly at a reasonable size?

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
I post all my photos from my phone. Can't get any affordable internet where I live have to use my phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I post all my photos from my phone. Can't get any affordable internet where I live have to use my phone.

Can you please take a picture and post it in this thread with the steps? Is Tapatalk necessary? What does it help with? How do you resize without going to a computer? Tne top picture above 3 sheeps was loaded directly into my album from my tablet but is a bit too big, 800x 600.

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US

My phone is set to auto on picture size. I go through taptalk at all times. The photo attached was taken yesterday with my phone.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Remember in bad reception areas you can use your phone as a modem for your laptop. Do a net search to learn how to do this.