Pet Insurance

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Check out the veterinarian’s parking lot before taking your pet there.

Customers drive the market in a truly “free enterprise” system. I don’t know about “in the big city”…but out here in rural areas…. a vet who specializes in “pets of the rich” ….. doesn’t last that long.

There’s a gated community or two out here by the lakes. There are some vets that cater to those folks. They also have fancy clinics, constructed by architects, and Lexus and Tesla ”automobiles” in the parking lots and no outside corrals or run-pens.

You do not see pickups with mud on the tires there.
WOW! Evidently many of those high class boy dogs🐩 take a break before and after their visits.

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Don't currently have a pet but we used aspca for the last one. The premiums went up quite a bit over the yrs but the coverage was pretty good. When the time came they even paid a percentage for in home euthanasia.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I almost accidently deleted you as a spammer! ;)

FYI: All of the products that web site sells do not require a prescription, they are all over the counter.
A lot of people don't realize that almost all of those companies offer OTC and prescription versions of the same product names, yet the ingredients are not the same.
I'm not saying don't use them, but look on other places like Amazon for deals.
I can get flea and tick preventatives over the counter, but I can't get heartworm prevention without a script except the place I've been ordering from for years. And no, I'm hardly a spammer. I have absolutely no affiliation with the website I posted other than as a happy customer. Where do you get heartworm prevention for dogs without a script? Heartworm prevention is an absolute must down here in the midlands of SC where I live.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I can get flea and tick preventatives over the counter, but I can't get heartworm prevention without a script except the place I've been ordering from for years. And no, I'm hardly a spammer. I have absolutely no affiliation with the website I posted other than as a happy customer. Where do you get heartworm prevention for dogs without a script? Heartworm prevention is an absolute must down here in the midlands of SC where I live.
I suspect someone’s confused the terms “brand” and “generic” with “prescription” and “OTC”. Unless perhaps the suggestion is to purchase from non-US based vendors, wherein it is possible to get some prescription meds without an actual prescription.

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
We never had insurance on the pets. They were part of the family BUT, at the end of the day they were pets.
Heck, I didn’t have medical insurance on myself until I was established in my career. When I was a kid, many poor folks had no medical insurance. The state didn’t give it to you back then.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I haven’t looked into it…but Ivermectin is the main ingredient in many heartworm (dog) preventatives….and I see it’s available over-the-counter at Tractor Supply…for Horses!

It is sold in such high concentrations (for horses) that carelessness can Kill your dog. (and SOME breeds of dogs are particularly sensitive to ivermectin….so beware.)

It may be false-economy if you are like me and consider your dog as a full and equal Family Member…. An annual check-up for all my Family Members is worth it, in my opinion…including a good dog, of course. (Even the stray that adopted us earned her way into our hearts.)

IMG_20190106_144317162_HDR.jpeg

Here’s an article that may prove interesting..but read it ALL before attempting it: https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Heartworm-Preventative-for-Your-Dog-for-Less-Than-10-Dollars-a-Year

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The Spam ban thing was a joke, I get so used to banning new spammers that post links.

You might be right on the heart worm med, we don't need them up here.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t have pet insurance.

We would have come out for my daughter’s dog. In hind sight, I knew it’s confirmation wasn’t anywhere close to good, so I should she should have bought it for it. It’s an overly tall Husky that had issues with both rear legs that required surgery.

On the other hand, I say away from breed/confirmation that have a lot of issues.

If you think you will give a dog chemo treatment, I think that’s a reason to get pet insurance. I wouldn’t put a dog through chemo, but that’s “my” decision.

Many other really popular breeds also routinely require surgery. If you like those breeds, it may make sense.

Reactions: 1 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
True Story:

I was sitting in the vets waiting room once, and there is this old guy next to me with a disgruntled look on his face and a "yapping ankle biter" tugging on a leash and yapping away.....

He looked at me and said...." You know what used to happen to sick dogs when I was a kid?"

I said "Nope"

He said 'They died.......thats what happend....none of this Veterinarian bullsh!t"

Hahahah.....
LOL

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I haven’t looked into it…but Ivermectin is the main ingredient in many heartworm (dog) preventatives….and I see it’s available over-the-counter at Tractor Supply…for Horses!

It is sold in such high concentrations (for horses) that carelessness can Kill your dog. (and SOME breeds of dogs are particularly sensitive to ivermectin….so beware.)

It may be false-economy if you are like me and consider your dog as a full and equal Family Member…. An annual check-up for all my Family Members is worth it, in my opinion…including a good dog, of course. (Even the stray that adopted us earned her way into our hearts.)

Here’s an article that may prove interesting..but read it ALL before attempting it: https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Heartworm-Preventative-for-Your-Dog-for-Less-Than-10-Dollars-a-Year

You can use livestock dewormer, like ivermictin and other meds, on dogs in much smaller doses of course, no script needed at feed stores.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
You can use livestock dewormer, like ivermictin and other meds, on dogs in much smaller doses of course, no script needed at feed stores.

You must be extra carful while using drugs off label. Lady bought a remedy for her constipated cat from the vet clinic. As required the vet typed up a label with dosage and stuck it to bottle. Vet followed up with a call in 3 days to inquire how the "calf" is doing. Lady responded "calf" I don't have a sick calf,I had a sick cat. Vet said "I'm sorry I thought you said calf when you bought medicine, you just said you HAD a cat,what happened to it?" I don't know, last time I saw it it went over the hill with 4 other cats ,2 digging, 1 covering up and 1 scouting for new ground.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
You must be extra carful while using drugs off label. Lady bought a remedy for her constipated cat from the vet clinic. As required the vet typed up a label with dosage and stuck it to bottle. Vet followed up with a call in 3 days to inquire how the "calf" is doing. Lady responded "calf" I don't have a sick calf,I had a sick cat. Vet said "I'm sorry I thought you said calf when you bought medicine, you just said you HAD a cat,what happened to it?" I don't know, last time I saw it it went over the hill with 4 other cats ,2 digging, 1 covering up and 1 scouting for new ground.
Stupid people exist and Darwin awaits with awards.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Do you have pet insurance, and if so, would you recommend the company that is providing coverage for your pet? Today, the cost of a visit to a veterinarian can break the bank quickly. Even my veterinarian (retired) has suggested that I get pet insurance for the new dog. Until he sold his practice and retired, I never had paid a veterinary or boarding bill since were were very close friends. After he retired, the veterinarian that I was using was very reasonable, and now he has retired. The hospital has been sold to one of the national clinic operators who look into your wallet as you walk in the door. Some won't even let you into the building, and have a vet tec come out to get the dog and tell you to wait in the car. Then the veterinarian will call your cell phone and give you an update on the dog's (cat's) illness, etc. It has gotten very impersonal since COVID-19.
The best way to control your vet costs is to NOT allow your wife or daughter to take the family pet to the vet.

• Haha

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Do you have pet insurance, and if so, would you recommend the company that is providing coverage for your pet? Today, the cost of a visit to a veterinarian can break the bank quickly. Even my veterinarian (retired) has suggested that I get pet insurance for the new dog. Until he sold his practice and retired, I never had paid a veterinary or boarding bill since were were very close friends. After he retired, the veterinarian that I was using was very reasonable, and now he has retired. The hospital has been sold to one of the national clinic operators who look into your wallet as you walk in the door. Some won't even let you into the building, and have a vet tec come out to get the dog and tell you to wait in the car. Then the veterinarian will call your cell phone and give you an update on the dog's (cat's) illness, etc. It has gotten very impersonal since COVID-19.
I still work in the Vet space. Have insurance - 2 actually, Nationwide Pet Insurance & Fetch. We have made claims with NPI. No issues and pleasant to work with. I recommend both. Even though I work here I have also experienced some of the same things as you. Covid changed this industry significantly and in some locations didn’t return to pre Covid. I could drone on about why….. reach out if you want the deets.

A good vet will always give you all of the options - its not their job to decide who can afford what. Plenty of bad vets out there (read: inexperienced), find yourself a good one. It’s not easy these days. We travel 50 mins each way for ours. Probably drive past 100 clinics on the way. Avoid the corporates unless your finances require it.

IMPORTANT! Find the vet then ask them what insurance they take and recommend. The 2 I mentioned should be on their list.

Last edited: