PCV missing

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
I have a L235 tractor (D1105 engine) that blows smoke out of a u-shaped pipe on the valve cover. It looks like there is a missing PCV filter/canister, and a down pipe. I cannot seem to find this missing part in the service manual, or engine parts list. The smoke is pretty noticeable.

I minimized it by routing a tube to a standard type oil filter, but it still smokes some.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You are looking AT THE PCV .........ok there is NO valve there -all you really have is positive crankcase relief! - what you are missing is the hose that went downward towards the ground.

A mid 1985 tractor ..... did not have the typical valve you are thinking about - just vented to the outside of the valve cover!

How many hours on the ol girl?

You simply have a good amount of blow-by - and on a 35 year old tractor, rather common too.

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
Only 455 hours, so am surprised it smokes so much. I does take a large number of revs to start, so I suspect there is some blowby from rings or valves until the compression gets high enough to start? Measured Compression was fairly high (>350psi) on on of the cylinders, so suspect it similar on the others?

My 350hr Iseki starts up on the 3rd/4th rev, so the excessive start revs on the Kubota is a surprise.
The PC blowby is significantly more than the exhaust smoke, does that suggest a cause?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes there is no PVC valve.
If it's spitting oil with the blow-by, or just excessive blow-by you'll need to get it rebuilt.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just measuring one cylinder will not give you an accurate picture of what's going on, measure all of them.
Some and blow-by is almost always ring or piston failure.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Only 455 hours, so am surprised it smokes so much. I does take a large number of revs to start, so I suspect there is some blowby from rings or valves until the compression gets high enough to start? Measured Compression was fairly high (>350psi) on on of the cylinders, so suspect it similar on the others?

My 350hr Iseki starts up on the 3rd/4th rev, so the excessive start revs on the Kubota is a surprise.
The PC blowby is significantly more than the exhaust smoke, does that suggest a cause?

350 psi is on the low side, 327 is spec for rebuild!

Engine normal specs : 412 to 469 psi

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It won't be exhaust valve blow-by, the odds of that are too high.
It's going to be broken rings, seized rings, or broken piston lands.
Since you had a hydraulic pump / system issue, have you checked the oil level of the engine?
Plugged up hydraulics can blow the from seal out of the hydraulic pump and over fill the engine with hydraulic fluid.
With as few of hours on it as you say, which I highly doubt considering the look of just the loader, it also possible that the rings have seized to the pistons from the lack of use.
You could pull all the injectors out, fill the cylinders with 50/50 acetone and ATF and see if you can get luck and free the rings.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Be careful filling any liquid in the cylinders and subsequently rotating the engine… you can bend a connecting rod doing that unless it’s done V E R Y S L O W L Y and with the injectors removed.

It may be better to first operate that engine at high-speed for an hour or two to see if the rings will re-seat and/or rotate back to an alternating position before doing anything more drastic.

If it were mine…before I did anything at all…I’d start ‘er up…and open the throttle wide open…and let it run for a couple hours to see if they’d reseat.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There may be some metallic mesh (Brillo pad) inside the box with the tube nozzle. That limits the oil out of the tube.

It may be missing but it didn’t really work well for aged motors.

You would locate it in the same area in parts lists as the valve cover on the engine (I am assuming).