Passing Along The Price Hike?

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Auto insurance companies will ALL always low ball on the 1st try.
I have found it very useful, to do a little homework, and not just jump into a settlement.
I argued 3 weeks, had dude start though. Tore up 1st check . Told them to stop payment.
They held firm.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I argued 3 weeks, had dude start though. Tore up 1st check . Told them to stop payment.
They held firm.
I have never really needed a prompt settlement to buy a replacement car.
One of my boys wrecked a car on July 8th, and I finally settled with insurance on October 15th.
I think at some point stale claims may be pushed at the upper mgmt. level to reach a settlement.

Last edited:

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I have never really needed a prompt settlement to buy a replacement car.
One of my boys wrecked a car on July 8th, and I finally settled with insurance on October 15th.
I think at some point stale claims may be pushed to reach a settlement.
I see. Yeah i wanted my truck back. Way it goes. But have all steel, genuine parts back on and cant tell it happened.

Reactions: 1 user

Gmoney

Equipment
2022 Kubota B2601HSD-1
Apr 22, 2022
Iowa
This type of outfit knows they're not going to get anyrepeat customers so they take advantage of the one time they get to screw you.
Very well could be, but sounds like a terrible business plan. Being a small dealership, in a pretty rural area, there aren't many customers out here to drive away.

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
All I'm saying is that it's a complicated situation and at the end of the day, if an individual is happy with their purchase then that's all that matters. I LOVE being outside and working with tractors and that's what it's all about for me. Getting projects done, enjoying life, and looking forward to years of tractor use.
And this here is the bottom line, folks. Everyone should spend or save based on their risk profile. I chose to pay cash for my RV (to a very unhappy dealer) and finance my tractor (to an indifferent dealer). I have no incentive to pay off my house and it's because of the fact mentioned earlier - I have leverage to walk away if catastrophe happens and let someone else eat the loss, to force a more favorable outcome for myself. Hope I never have to pull that lever.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Very well could be, but sounds like a terrible business plan. Being a small dealership, in a pretty rural area, there aren't many customers out here to drive away.
Definitely not a good business plan. I often see it when the kid(s) take over a family business and try to coast for a few years on the former reputation. Eventually it all falls apart (but it's never their fault...)

I'd be pretty annoyed in the OP's position, probably to the point of giving them the MMM back and refusing to pay, but my stubborness has gotten me into trouble before and this would probably end up the same way. (if dealer takes the MMM off, he has my tractor to hold hostage, if I take if off he sues me for the slightest scratch and then turns around and sells it for even more and I still don't have a mower)

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I don't know how Kubota does it, but talking to my powersports dealer, he was saying boat companies are really sticking it to customers and he is the one that looks like the bad guy, because he is having to call customers now, that already had their boat orders paid in full that they now have to pay THOUSANDS more.
He's taking some of the hit, but he said some fishing boats have gone up $20,000!!!!

Prices are ridiculous and I have cancelled many purchase decisions. For instance, a new BARE Grand L 6060 in Canada here lists for $70,000 now before you even add a loader!!

I'll go buy a lightly used Caterpillar backhoe through Cat's used program with warranty for that kind of money.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I don't know how Kubota does it, but talking to my powersports dealer, he was saying boat companies are really sticking it to customers and he is the one that looks like the bad guy, because he is having to call customers now, that already had their boat orders paid in full that they now have to pay THOUSANDS more.
He's taking some of the hit, but he said some fishing boats have gone up $20,000!!!!

Prices are ridiculous and I have cancelled many purchase decisions. For instance, a new BARE Grand L 6060 in Canada here lists for $70,000 now before you even add a loader!!

I'll go buy a lightly used Caterpillar backhoe through Cat's used program with warranty for that kind of money.
Wow on 6060 price.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
After hauling the M6060 about 600 miles this past Monday with the '02 F250 I was curious enough to look at used F350 an F450 6.7L trucks. A dealer in CA I've used in the past has a '16 F30 6.7L Lariat crew cab on the lot with 42k miles on it. It's a beautiful truck and would most likely serve me well, but they want $63k for it!!! :oops: I'd rather pay another $20k and get the exact truck I want but that's not going to happen.

I think I'm going to do some upgrades to my truck that cost me $8k from a good friend. I can put in single shot injectors, an upgraded HPOP, bigger turbo, bigger inter cooler, upgraded fuel pump and a bullet proof transmission for $20k and have a truck that's more than capable of 70mph up a 6% grade for three miles pulling a 12k lb tractor/trailer.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
After hauling the M6060 about 600 miles this past Monday with the '02 F250 I was curious enough to look at used F350 an F450 6.7L trucks. A dealer in CA I've used in the past has a '16 F30 6.7L Lariat crew cab on the lot with 42k miles on it. It's a beautiful truck and would most likely serve me well, but they want $63k for it!!! :oops: I'd rather pay another $20k and get the exact truck I want but that's not going to happen.

I think I'm going to do some upgrades to my truck that cost me $8k from a good friend. I can put in single shot injectors, an upgraded HPOP, bigger turbo, bigger inter cooler, upgraded fuel pump and a bullet proof transmission for $20k and have a truck that's more than capable of 70mph up a 6% grade for three miles pulling a 12k lb tractor/trailer.
That is way too much. A friend bought an 18 f350 lariat dually here for 43000.00 it had 30 000 miles think it is diesel as well.
Everything is upside down.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I went to get filter to do an oil change on my new F150 because dealer can't get me in for weeks and they gave me a WIX filter. I said what is that? They said there are over a thousand Motorcraft filters on back order and they get approval from Ford to use WIX since they are made by same company.

This is getting ridiculous.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I went to get filter to do an oil change on my new F150 because dealer can't get me in for weeks and they gave me a WIX filter. I said what is that? They said there are over a thousand Motorcraft filters on back order and they get approval from Ford to use WIX since they are made by same company.

This is getting ridiculous.
Good news is they told you the truth. Wix is as good as Motorctaft. Probably better. But yeah lacl of help all over. Makes a person scratch head as houses sell so fast. Cars too, are there that many work from home jobs really ? Strange times indeed.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I never carried debt. Built my own house in a pay as you go mode, with my own hands. No mortgage ever. No debts really for most of my life.

BUT...

One thing that I have come to realize after being retired, and having ALL my retirement funds in tax deferred investments, is that pulling cash out to make a large purchase may not make good sense.

Reason is that lump sum withdrawals becomes normal income, and are taxed that way. So pulling out a large sum, causes maybe 15 percent to be skimmed off the top by the government. OR maybe more.

So financing has some advantages. ESPECIALLY if the interest rate is very low. When I bought the property next door, I could have paid cash, but realized it was better to take out a home equity loan, and pay it off over a few years...Buying a new car a couple years ago, same story. Paying less in interest on the car loan than I am gaining in my retirement accounts. Especially this year, as they are inflation protected investment offered by the US government and the majority of the retirement funds will earn nearly 12 percent this year. All real money. Essentially NO risk. Unlike the stock market the funds never lose value.

No brainer really if you think about it, in my case anyway.

Now if you have cash sitting somewhere earning essentially no interest, different story.

Just depends on each individuals situation.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I never carried debt. Built my own house in a pay as you go mode, with my own hands. No mortgage ever. No debts really for most of my life.

BUT...

One thing that I have come to realize after being retired, and having ALL my retirement funds in tax deferred investments, is that pulling cash out to make a large purchase may not make good sense.

Reason is that lump sum withdrawals becomes normal income, and are taxed that way. So pulling out a large sum, causes maybe 15 percent to be skimmed off the top by the government. OR maybe more.

So financing has some advantages. ESPECIALLY if the interest rate is very low. When I bought the property next door, I could have paid cash, but realized it was better to take out a home equity loan, and pay it off over a few years...Buying a new car a couple years ago, same story. Paying less in interest on the car loan than I am gaining in my retirement accounts. Especially this year, as they are inflation protected investment offered by the US government and the majority of the retirement funds will earn nearly 12 percent this year. All real money. Essentially NO risk. Unlike the stock market the funds never lose value.

No brainer really if you think about it, in my case anyway.

Now if you have cash sitting somewhere earning essentially no interest, different story.

Just depends on each individuals situation.
30 % min under Biden. May I ask what investment items you are mentioning ? 12% is extremely good. I agree about if your making more interest than the loan would cost leave your money alone.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
30 % min under Biden. May I ask what investment items you are mentioning ? 12% is extremely good. I agree about if your making more interest than the loan would cost leave your money alone.
1 million investment, 120k per year.......that's fantastic return per year.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The majority is in I bonds that we bought back in 2000 and 2001. They carry an average 3.5 percent fixed rate, plus the inflation adjustment.

I had some cash that was sitting in essentially bank accounts recently, that was earning nothing for practical purposes. I recently put it into I bonds, knowing that I could not access it for about 12 month. Even then you lose the last three months of interest if you cash in before five years elapses. Not a big deal when comparing decent interest VS essentially no interest.

I got in under the wire in April, and for six months that money will earn 7.2% (but the fixed rate is now 0%) and for the next six months will earn 9.62%. Not shabby, compared to the alternative I was experiencing, which was essentially 0%. But certainly not as good as the old bonds we bought back then, when the fixed rate was very favorable.

Our old I bonds end up paying around 11.9 percent for 2022. Just works out that we bought them at a time that interest pays during the same 12 month period as the calendar counts the month. Otherwise, the period is based upon when you buy them...

I bonds are now limited to a $10K per SSN purchase per year. Back when we bought our original ones the max was $30K per year. Glad now that we had the cash available at the time to build a retirement egg!

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
1 million investment, 120k per year.......that's fantastic return per year.
There are limits on what I bonds you can purchase, which is now $10K per SSN per year, and today with fixed rate of 0% the actual return for the maximum $10K per SSN is around 8.4% roughly, minus a 3 month penalty if you cash in before 5 years.

BUT that would only be if you purchased the I bonds by the end of April. This six month period, starting on May 1, pays 9.62% but what the next six month period pays is dependent on what inflation comes in at...unknown for a while.

So anyway, I bonds do not work for large purchases...fortunately we bought ours when the max per SSN was $30K per year.

If anyone is interested, you can find out more at the Treasury Direct web site:

Last edited: