Passing Along The Price Hike?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The “web quote” document is a bit odd in that it says “quote” at the top and then at the bottom excludes a variety of charges that make it clear it’s not really a “quote”
Yep! The "quote" is nothing more than the same thing any of us could generate using the "build my Kubota" utility on Kubotausa.com . The handwritten documents are sales receipts.

Gmoney

Equipment
2022 Kubota B2601HSD-1
Apr 22, 2022
Iowa
Thanks for all the feedback. I didn't want to mention the dealer, just to keep it about seeing if this is standard practice or not. That way I would have a little more information when I call the manager on it. Talking about it to my wife tonight, she reminded me that the manager specifically told me I couldn't prepay for the mower deck. When he was getting me the price for the tractor, I said just to put the mower on there to make it easy on me, but he said he couldn't sell it until they had the serial number. I am going to call him Monday and give him some of my thoughts. I should never have ordered from them, as it was a pain in the butt to even get to that process. I spoke on the phone with the original salesman a few times about ordering one, and he gave me the "I am pretty sure I have something coming in I can put your name on, let me check" thing, then never called back and didn't remember me when I would call back. I called all the dealers around central Iowa, and wasn't impressed with their responses either. I think they are sitting so fat and happy, with people falling over themselves to come buy everything they can, that dealers are getting lazy and don't really care about service. I decided, if all of the dealers were unimpressive, I would order from the one that is 5 minutes from my house, because they would be were I get parts and service from. They also have a rental department that is way cheaper than just about every other place around. I was already not going to do business with them again before the mower showed up, just for all the other mentioned stuff, but then this just got me again. The name of the dealer is Sundown Equipment in Bevington, IA, which is owned by Capital City Kubota in Des Moines, IA.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@Gmoney , it sucks to be mistreated the way you were. On the bright side, you got an awesome tractor and mower and after a few hours cutting grass you'll soon forget about all of the BS. I'd file a complaint with Kuboto if it were me though and go up the food chain with managers and such and see if they'll help you out.

I have a dealer less than 3 miles from my house who I've dealt with for almost seven years, three tractors and numerous implements. I got the M6060 from a dealer 600 miles away and they've been awesome too. The M6060 is going to the local dealer for some upgrades and once again I know that the work will be done to a very high standard. The manager told me that they'll go over the new tractor as if they sold it to make sure that everything is right. That's the kind of relationship I have with them and it's why I stop by there twice a week or more.

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
I won't be surprised if tractor dealers are soon crying foul, as those of us new "hobby farmers" already have our machines, and demand dries up as inflation erodes the dollars' buying power. News articles filled with folks who fled to the country two years ago suddenly going back home to town. Increasing fuel and interest rates. None of this can bode well for equipment dealers.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
@Gmoney , it sucks to be mistreated the way you were. On the bright side, you got an awesome tractor and mower and after a few hours cutting grass you'll soon forget about all of the BS. I'd file a complaint with Kuboto if it were me though and go up the food chain with managers and such and see if they'll help you out.

I have a dealer less than 3 miles from my house who I've dealt with for almost seven years, three tractors and numerous implements. I got the M6060 from a dealer 600 miles away and they've been awesome too. The M6060 is going to the local dealer for some upgrades and once again I know that the work will be done to a very high standard. The manager told me that they'll go over the new tractor as if they sold it to make sure that everything is right. That's the kind of relationship I have with them and it's why I stop by there twice a week or more.
For what it is worth:
I am 81, and have never bought a new tractor (have owned 6),...... and at this point in my life I never will.
I bought my exceptionally low hour L48 TLB from an original owner, 34 months ago.
The nearest Kubota dealer is 70+ miles away.
To date, I have bought 2 pails of SUDT-2 there.

Several months ago I called, asking that nearest MA Kubota dealer if they would order a 16" Q/A Backhoe bucket ( K7873A ), on their next whole goods order.
Nope,......they would not do that, because they "do not stock" that particular bucket.
I offered to prepay the $1,100+tax, but still....nope!

OK.....I got the message!
They will not be hearing from, or seeing me again,....... though they probably do not care.

I will order anything readily shippable from Messick's, (great folks) and anything really heavy ( such as a 16" bucket ), will likely come from a different dealer 140 miles away, whenever I make a trip to that sales tax free state, for some other purpose.
I am not in a rush for the bucket.

Since I have never bought a new tractor from a dealer, the concept of dealer loyalty/proximity is completely foreign to me!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
I will give you my experience as I recently bought a B2601 as well.

The week of Christmas, I went to my two local Kubota dealers looking for prices on a B2601 TLB with a snow blower and rear remotes. The dealer I wound up buying from was $1000 more than the other dealer, but he had one on the lot, minus the snow blower and backhoe. He ordered the snow blower and it came in a week later and was delivered with the tractor as the quoted price the 2nd week of January.

The tractor/loader/remotes was financed and I paid cash on the blower since I hadn’t expected it to arrive when it did. I’m still waiting on the backhoe. I don’t remember the exact details, but I either couldn’t finance the blower and backhoe since they weren’t expected to be in, or I told him not to bother since it was going to be a pain and I didn’t mind paying cash for it. I’m not entirely sure what the cost of the backhoe will be as I’m sure my dealer isn’t getting it for what he quoted me last year after two price increases. We’ll see on that.

The other dealer who I didn’t go with gave me a price, but said it would be a spring delivery and I would pay whatever the price is then.

Im not sure I would expect the dealer to eat the increase since it wasn’t part of the original deal, but I would expect them to tell me the price before I commit given the increase and give me the opportunity to walk away

Gmoney

Equipment
2022 Kubota B2601HSD-1
Apr 22, 2022
Iowa
Interesting add-on... They charged me $3,150 for the mower deck, but current list price on the kubota website is $3,062. So I guess they are just making it up as they go along.

• Wow

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
For what it is worth:
I am 81, and have never bought a new tractor,...... and at this point in my life I never will.
I bought my exceptionally low hour L48 TLB from a private party, 34 months ago.

Several months ago I called, asking if they would order a 16" Q/A Backhoe bucket ( K7873A ), on their whole goods order.
Nope,......they would not do that, because they "do not stock" that particular bucket.
I offered to pay the $1,100+tax in advance, but still....nope!

They will not be hearing from me again,....... though they probably do not care.

I will order anything readily shippable from Messick's, (great folks) and anything really heavy ( such as a 16" bucket ), will come from a different dealer 140 miles away, whenever I plan a trip to that tax free adjacent state.

Since I have never bought a tractor from a dealer, the concept of dealer loyalty is completely foreign to me!
Give Chappell Tractor 454 Rte 13, Milford, NH 03055 a call. Good folks to deal with. My guess is that the dealer that refused to order it for you was Ahearn's in Spencer. They are difficult to deal with.

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
Interesting add-on... They charged me $3,150 for the mower deck, but current list price on the kubota website is $3,062. So I guess they are just making it up as they go along.
Tractors aren’t like cars where their is a sticker price. The dealers add in their delivery fees, setup fees, etc and come up with their own pricing. At least that has been my experience.

For both tractors I bought over the last couple years, the pricing on the website and the dealer pricing are completely different, even though the end result came out to be similar. The last dealer I bought from gave me his entire price sheet. Everything was all over the proscenium when compared to the website. Some was more expensive and some was less.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Offer and acceptance. If they gave you a written offer and you put down consideration (deposit of at least a dollar), then that is your contract price. Now pay your lawyer $500/hr to litigate.

If no consideration, then either party can reneg.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Give Chappell Tractor 454 Rte 13, Milford, NH 03055 a call. Good folks to deal with. My guess is that the dealer that refused to order it for you was Ahearn's in Spencer. They are difficult to deal with.
Actually, it was Norfolk Power Equipment, in Norfolk, MA..
I have talked with Chappell before, and though it is 140 miles from me, one of their 3 locations is where I will go, when I am in the granite state again for some other reason.
I like to buy high dollar items in NH,....... if the travel cost makes sense!

Thanks for the heads up on Ahearn.
I will steer clear of them.

Last edited:

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
For what it is worth:
I am 81, and have never bought a new tractor,...... and at this point in my life I never will.
I bought my exceptionally low hour L48 TLB from a private party, 34 months ago.

Several months ago I called, asking if they would order a 16" Q/A Backhoe bucket ( K7873A ), on their whole goods order.
I offered to prepay the $1,100+tax, but still....nope!

They will not be hearing from me again,....... though they probably do not care.

I will order anything readily shippable from Messick's, (great folks) and anything really heavy ( such as a 16" bucket ), will come from a different dealer 140 miles away, whenever I plan a trip to that tax free adjacent state.

Since I have never bought a tractor from a dealer, the concept of dealer loyalty is completely foreign to me!
I agree, 2 dealers in my area. I picked the less evil of the 2 to buy. wonder if Kubota knows of all the dealer issues ? I think their line sells very well due to reputation of dependability and the Dealers no matter where you are have become laxed on customer service. They have a product that sells itself.
My 2 cents worth.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I agree, 2 dealers in my area. I picked the less evil of the 2 to buy. wonder if Kubota knows of all the dealer issues ? I think their line sells very well due to reputation of dependability and the Dealers no matter where you are have become laxed on customer service. They have a product that sells itself.
My 2 cents worth.
going to also add, paying cash seems to make dealers upset. I paid cash for my 2020 Harley and they frowned. Was told they get paid either way but they get some sort of incentive for getting people to finance. I was trying to make the deal with the old Ill write you a check right now for x amount.
I haggled enough I got a decent price. I found the same thing with Kubota, only difference is the Kubota applied discount. In my case it was 1400.00. Dealer had nothing to do with that and kept asking you sure you don't want to use other people's money ? I laughed. Don't want payments I told him period. I have no idea on what interest they would have even talked about.
Really sad affair the way the world has changed. I always thought ease of Ill pay you today helped with bargaining. Has not in my cases.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
going to also add, paying cash seems to make dealers upset. I paid cash for my 2020 Harley and they frowned. Was told they get paid either way but they get some sort of incentive for getting people to finance. I was trying to make the deal with the old Ill write you a check right now for x amount.
I haggled enough I got a decent price. I found the same thing with Kubota, only difference is the Kubota applied discount. In my case it was 1400.00. Dealer had nothing to do with that and kept asking you sure you don't want to use other people's money ? I laughed. Don't want payments I told him period. I have no idea on what interest they would have even talked about.
Really sad affair the way the world has changed. I always thought ease of Ill pay you today helped with bargaining. Has not in my cases.
In a similar vein: Why do my credit cards pay me back 2% (or more) in cash?
Obviously,...... because most people think they can manage debt, but fail to do so.
Credit card companies hook folks with the cash back concept.
People then overspend to the point where they are paying out 12% - 22% in interest instead.

I love the bank credit card cash bonus systems (from 2% to 5%).
Last year made just over $1100 !

I don't do free air miles.
My air miles are free without credit cards.

LenPA

Equipment
l3901
Jan 2, 2022
Sayre,Pennsylvania,USA
So quick story to give all info(not sure what’s relevant). I ordered my B2601/loader/mower 9/18/21. The tractor was in stock and the loader showed up mid-December. They said the mower would be delayed a long time, I said I will take the tractor when the loader comes in, for snow removal. They delivered that 12/22/21. I used the 20% equine discount, paid the quoted price for tractor/loader, $465 freight, $505 set up, and tax of course. The mower deck just came in last week, they got it put on, and delivered back to me this morning.

So now my problem/question. He brings the invoice to pay for the mower that was quoted $2,701, and its $3,600. $250 freight, $200 setup, plus a nice price increase. In my world, if my company has a price increase, orders already placed in the system are not affected. I also couldn’t apply the 20% equine discount on it because I bought the tractor separately, even though they ordered at the same time. I’m also a bit bothered because I told him when delivering the tractor, if there was going to be a charge to install the mower, I would do it myself. So my question, is it standard for a price increase to be passed on to the customer in Kubota’s world, or is my dealer screwing me?

Gmoney

Equipment
2022 Kubota B2601HSD-1
Apr 22, 2022
Iowa
My 2 cents worth.
Unfortunately, it’s not just Kabota. Before I decided on Kabota, I was also considering John Deere. I went to several of their locations, and they were just as bad. And it’s not even just the tractor industry. We are currently starting a big landscaping project, and dealing with a few of the local landscape supply places has been hell. I kept trying different ones to find one that actually wanted by business, and they were all the same, so I just had to pick the one that had the fastest turnaround time and best price.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Thanks for all the feedback. I didn't want to mention the dealer, just to keep it about seeing if this is standard practice or not. That way I would have a little more information when I call the manager on it. Talking about it to my wife tonight, she reminded me that the manager specifically told me I couldn't prepay for the mower deck. When he was getting me the price for the tractor, I said just to put the mower on there to make it easy on me, but he said he couldn't sell it until they had the serial number. I am going to call him Monday and give him some of my thoughts. I should never have ordered from them, as it was a pain in the butt to even get to that process. I spoke on the phone with the original salesman a few times about ordering one, and he gave me the "I am pretty sure I have something coming in I can put your name on, let me check" thing, then never called back and didn't remember me when I would call back. I called all the dealers around central Iowa, and wasn't impressed with their responses either. I think they are sitting so fat and happy, with people falling over themselves to come buy everything they can, that dealers are getting lazy and don't really care about service. I decided, if all of the dealers were unimpressive, I would order from the one that is 5 minutes from my house, because they would be were I get parts and service from. They also have a rental department that is way cheaper than just about every other place around. I was already not going to do business with them again before the mower showed up, just for all the other mentioned stuff, but then this just got me again. The name of the dealer is Sundown Equipment in Bevington, IA, which is owned by Capital City Kubota in Des Moines, IA.
Id explain bad news travels quicker than good. With Facebook and other social media outlets. Even if you don't use those services they don't like hearing that. ;) Your right to be upset, I read all your posts and you were mislead. If that dealer was smart they would understand futire business from you and your friends would be a lot more than the charges they are sticking you with. Good luck and sadly the Law and ethics are not the same.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
In a similar vein: Why do my credit cards pay me back 2% (or more) in cash?
Obviously,...... because most people think they can manage debt, but fail to do so.
Credit card companies hook folks with the cash back concept.
People then overspend to the point where they are paying out 12% - 22% in interest instead.

I love the bank credit card cash bonus systems (from 2% to 5%).
Last year made just over $1100 !

I don't do free air miles.
My air miles are free without credit cards.
I do the same, instead of Checks or debit card I use my Mastercard. Same money either way but get cash back and other bennys. I set it up for Autopay off the balance each month. Better against fraud as well. 1 of the bennys. Can kill credit account dispute rather than missing cash from debit hack. Been through that.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I do the same, instead of Checks or debit card I use my Mastercard. Same money either way but get cash back and other bennys. I set it up for Autopay off the balance each month. Better against fraud as well. 1 of the bennys. Can kill credit account dispute rather than missing cash from debit hack. Been through that.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I cannot quite understand why people use debit cards, when credit cards are readily available, frequently with at least 2% cash back.
Several actually have quarterly rolling 5% categories.

Debit cards provide absolutely nothing, except convenience.
The same convenience that credit cards provide, but absent the rewards.

I don't do auto pay, so that I am forced to at least casually review each monthly billing.