Passing Along The Price Hike?

Gmoney

Equipment
2022 Kubota B2601HSD-1
Apr 22, 2022
Iowa
So quick story to give all info(not sure what’s relevant). I ordered my B2601/loader/mower 9/18/21. The tractor was in stock and the loader showed up mid-December. They said the mower would be delayed a long time, I said I will take the tractor when the loader comes in, for snow removal. They delivered that 12/22/21. I used the 20% equine discount, paid the quoted price for tractor/loader, $465 freight, $505 set up, and tax of course. The mower deck just came in last week, they got it put on, and delivered back to me this morning.

So now my problem/question. He brings the invoice to pay for the mower that was quoted $2,701, and its $3,600. $250 freight, $200 setup, plus a nice price increase. In my world, if my company has a price increase, orders already placed in the system are not affected. I also couldn’t apply the 20% equine discount on it because I bought the tractor separately, even though they ordered at the same time. I’m also a bit bothered because I told him when delivering the tractor, if there was going to be a charge to install the mower, I would do it myself. So my question, is it standard for a price increase to be passed on to the customer in Kubota’s world, or is my dealer screwing me?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
So quick story to give all info(not sure what’s relevant). I ordered my B2601/loader/mower 9/18/21. The tractor was in stock and the loader showed up mid-December. They said the mower would be delayed a long time, I said I will take the tractor when the loader comes in, for snow removal. They delivered that 12/22/21. I used the 20% equine discount, paid the quoted price for tractor/loader, $465 freight, $505 set up, and tax of course. The mower deck just came in last week, they got it put on, and delivered back to me this morning.

So now my problem/question. He brings the invoice to pay for the mower that was quoted $2,701, and its $3,600. $250 freight, $200 setup, plus a nice price increase. In my world, if my company has a price increase, orders already placed in the system are not affected. I also couldn’t apply the 20% equine discount on it because I bought the tractor separately, even though they ordered at the same time. I’m also a bit bothered because I told him when delivering the tractor, if there was going to be a charge to install the mower, I would do it myself. So my question, is it standard for a price increase to be passed on to the customer in Kubota’s world, or is my dealer screwing me?
If you have a price quote for the full unit and locked it in the financing then you are being screwed. But if you bought them separately, then you made a mistake.

Reactions: 1 users

Gmoney

Equipment
2022 Kubota B2601HSD-1
Apr 22, 2022
Iowa
If you have a price quote for the full unit and locked it in the financing then you are being screwed. But if you bought them separately, then you made a mistake.
I didn’t finance, I paid cash. Otherwise I couldn’t use the 20% equine discount. I ordered the whole thing together, and my price quote from day of order has the tractor, loader, ssqa, bucket, and mower deck all on it, at that price.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I didn’t finance, I paid cash. Otherwise I couldn’t use the 20% equine discount. I ordered the whole thing together, and my price quote from day of order has the tractor, loader, ssqa, bucket, and mower deck all on it, at that price.
Then that’s the price you should be paying.

Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Seems like you should have paid for the mower deck when you ordered it. The price would have been locked in.

A quote is just that, a quote, until payment is received. Most quotes are only valid for X number of days, even before all of the recent madness.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Seems like you should have paid for the mower deck when you ordered it. The price would have been locked in.

A quote is just that, a quote, until payment is received. Most quotes are only valid for X number of days, even before all of the recent madness.
True. But I thought he said he paid cash for everything?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
My understanding is they can't include something with the sale of the tractor to bundle it with promotional rates, unless they have the serial numbers to put into the system at the time of the sale. I could be wrong this could be region / dealer specific.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As others have said ........
you paid for all up front, then THEY eat the increase

you paid for the mower AFTER .... then you eat the increase.

There is no way in hell I would pay for something ............ then HAVE TO WAIT for it and then be forced to pay more for WHATEVER reason ......... a deal is a deal ( assuming there is a signature)

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
What’s does your purchase order / sale agreement say? Terms of the sale should be included. (Were terms of the sale including assumptions on set up / install included?) If cash was paid up front then it should indicate paid or paid in full etc (or that would be my expectation) on the invoice. Regardless if cash was paid up front I suspect balance due would be included if not all paid unless some disclaimer for future market adjustment. If no disclaimer or anything.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Assuming you ordered all at the same time and made a deposit, I'd expect the mower price to be locked in.

It took 6 months for my tractor to come in and I didn't pay for it in full when ordered (just a deposit) and I absolutely expected them to honor the quoted price, and they did.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

My vote goes to: The dealer is screwing you !!!

Reactions: 4 users

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Some details seem to be missing. Did you pay for the mower deck when you paid for the tractor and loader or was the mower deck just on the {QUOTE}. A lot of time quotes are only good for a certain period of time. If you have a invoice paid in full that has the mower deck on it they will probably have to honor the price. Time to go threw the paper work you have and read the fine print. You may have to get some legal advice on this one.

Gmoney

Equipment
2022 Kubota B2601HSD-1
Apr 22, 2022
Iowa
Sorry for the confusion, here are some more details. I left out all of the dealings with the dealership, because they were terrible and I will never do business with them again. I will also include all the paperwork I got. Here is the timeline of everything-

9/18/21- Went to the dealership to order. Had checkbook in hand, expecting to pay a deposit. He said they don't do deposits. Ordered the tractor, loader, bucket, ssqa, and mower deck all together. Was told the loader would be a couple months, but the mower deck would be early spring 2022. Said I would really like to have the tractor for snow removal, so would take the tractor when the loader came in, then get the mower when it came in. Also, he wasn't happy when I mentioned the equine discount because, "that limits how much they can charge for the set-up fees, and they can't get enough to pay the shop guys."
11/30/21- They called, loader came in, needed to get it set up, would take a few days.
12/10/21- I called because I hadn't heard anything. The loader was installed but they never called me. I asked when I could have it and what the total invoice was, he was going to call back. Never did.
12/13/21- I called to get the tractor and total so I could have a check made out. Didn't have the number so would call back. Never did.
12/17/21- I called again to get the numbers and get delivery. Still couldn't give me a number, said he would get me the total later that day. Never did.
12/18/21- I went to the dealership, still couldn't get me a number because he was busy setting up another persons tractor. Offered for me to go have a look at my tractor, but not actually get it or pay for it. Blew me off and went back in to the shop. I was hot!
12/20/21- I called the sales manager, told him what was up, he assigned a new salesman to it, and got me the numbers on the phone.
12/22/21- New sales guy delivered the tractor, charged the amount that was on the original quote, gave him the check for it, and I had the tractor with the loader. He said he would be the one to work with from now on, and he would let me know when the mower deck came in, and wanted to know if I wanted them to setup the mower deck or if I would do it. I told him if there was a charge, I would do it. He said he would check and let me know when the deck came in. That day I paid for the tractor, loader, ssqa, and bucket. No mention of paying for the mower.
4/8/22- Mower deck came in. Said he would pick up the tractor the next week, and would have it back the same week.
4/13/22- Picked up tractor.
4/18/22- Hadn't heard anything, and didn't get the tractor back by the end of the week. Was told it would be delivered later in the week.
4/22/22- Got the tractor back with the mower deck on. Paid the invoice that included the price increase, plus freight and the setup fee I said I didn't want to pay but was not told about. When I asked about the price increase I was told that "any quote we do now says the price is only good for 30 days, because of the rapid price increases they have been going through. Imagine when I have to tell a guy his $150k excavator when up 20% in cost since he ordered it." The quote paper I was given when ordering said nothing about price being good for any period, or expiring.

Overall, I was never given any numbers for freight charges or setup fees before hand. Yes, my fault, should have asked. I was never offered to pay up front, and was specifically told they don't do deposits. I have had the money in my checking account the whole time. I was also not told that if I took the tractor before the mower was in, then buying the mower deck later, that the equine discount wouldn't apply to the mower deck. Oh well, having the tractor earlier was worth it, but still would have been nice to know. Then specifically said I would do the set up if there was any on the mower, but he said he forgot and just assumed I wanted them to do it. So in all, the price of the deck rose $449, then charged $200 setup I said I didn't want to pay, then the equine discount would have been $540.20. So the price of the mower deck went up by $1,189.20. That's a pretty nice jump.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Half of me wants to know:

THE name of the Kubota dealer

the first guy that could never get back to you ........

and a phone number to call !!!!

BUT ........ the other half doesn't want to really know in fear of being a complete AH and calling those people!

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Tough lesson for sure, but you are stuck with the increased price of the mower and also the installation because the work was actually performed. Not good business on the dealer's end at all for lack of communication.
My dealer would never do business like that, that's why they are so well liked and nothing but good word of mouth gossip.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yeah, not a good dealer at all. You could contact Kubota and file a complaint.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sorry for the confusion, here are some more details. I left out all of the dealings with the dealership, because they were terrible and I will never do business with them again. I will also include all the paperwork I got. Here is the timeline of everything-

9/18/21- Went to the dealership to order. Had checkbook in hand, expecting to pay a deposit. He said they don't do deposits. Ordered the tractor, loader, bucket, ssqa, and mower deck all together. Was told the loader would be a couple months, but the mower deck would be early spring 2022. Said I would really like to have the tractor for snow removal, so would take the tractor when the loader came in, then get the mower when it came in. Also, he wasn't happy when I mentioned the equine discount because, "that limits how much they can charge for the set-up fees, and they can't get enough to pay the shop guys."
11/30/21- They called, loader came in, needed to get it set up, would take a few days.
12/10/21- I called because I hadn't heard anything. The loader was installed but they never called me. I asked when I could have it and what the total invoice was, he was going to call back. Never did.
12/13/21- I called to get the tractor and total so I could have a check made out. Didn't have the number so would call back. Never did.
12/17/21- I called again to get the numbers and get delivery. Still couldn't give me a number, said he would get me the total later that day. Never did.
12/18/21- I went to the dealership, still couldn't get me a number because he was busy setting up another persons tractor. Offered for me to go have a look at my tractor, but not actually get it or pay for it. Blew me off and went back in to the shop. I was hot!
12/20/21- I called the sales manager, told him what was up, he assigned a new salesman to it, and got me the numbers on the phone.
12/22/21- New sales guy delivered the tractor, charged the amount that was on the original quote, gave him the check for it, and I had the tractor with the loader. He said he would be the one to work with from now on, and he would let me know when the mower deck came in, and wanted to know if I wanted them to setup the mower deck or if I would do it. I told him if there was a charge, I would do it. He said he would check and let me know when the deck came in. That day I paid for the tractor, loader, ssqa, and bucket. No mention of paying for the mower.
4/8/22- Mower deck came in. Said he would pick up the tractor the next week, and would have it back the same week.
4/13/22- Picked up tractor.
4/18/22- Hadn't heard anything, and didn't get the tractor back by the end of the week. Was told it would be delivered later in the week.
4/22/22- Got the tractor back with the mower deck on. Paid the invoice that included the price increase, plus freight and the setup fee I said I didn't want to pay but was not told about. When I asked about the price increase I was told that "any quote we do now says the price is only good for 30 days, because of the rapid price increases they have been going through. Imagine when I have to tell a guy his $150k excavator when up 20% in cost since he ordered it." The quote paper I was given when ordering said nothing about price being good for any period, or expiring.

Overall, I was never given any numbers for freight charges or setup fees before hand. Yes, my fault, should have asked. I was never offered to pay up front, and was specifically told they don't do deposits. I have had the money in my checking account the whole time. I was also not told that if I took the tractor before the mower was in, then buying the mower deck later, that the equine discount wouldn't apply to the mower deck. Oh well, having the tractor earlier was worth it, but still would have been nice to know. Then specifically said I would do the set up if there was any on the mower, but he said he forgot and just assumed I wanted them to do it. So in all, the price of the deck rose $449, then charged $200 setup I said I didn't want to pay, then the equine discount would have been $540.20. So the price of the mower deck went up by $1,189.20. That's a pretty nice jump.
By not publishing the name of the dealer here, you are only telling us...."buyer beware"
I suppose that is a bit helpful.......but not much !!!
If a surgeon had been found guilty of malpractice on a family member, would you not be willing to share the name and hospital?

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Just to give an example this is how my deal went with My LX2610 I ordered from Kings Equipment Jackson, Mi.
9/10/21 I ordered it with the equine discount after shopping 2 other dealers in my area. They had the best deal and I also picked them because they are a elite dealer and when getting parts for the old B7510 I had they always had the best pricing for parts. They also seemed to have 95% of whatever I needed in stock when it comes to parts.
They also did not ask for a deposit when I ordered it. It was a "sold" order when they submitted it to Kubota (They had a LX2610 in stock when I was looking but it sold the day before I pulled the trigger to buy).
Tractor is a LX2610HSD with 60" bucket on the loader. Kubota 3rd function as well as both rear remotes and the large 15-19.5 R4 tires. The price I was given was pretty close to the published 20% discount. I have no idea what the freight or the prep & delivery were as I was given a flat price. My tractor was delivered on 12/10/21. I did go to the dealer on 12/9 to pay for it and look it over. Again This all happened in the same year but my purchase order had a firm price that was honored when it came in.

I guess the moral of your story is you know who not to go to for parts or future purchases I hope that you are lucky enough to have another dealer that is in a reasonable driving distance. I am super lucky in that I live in the center of 4 different dealers that are all about a 30 minute drive away 1 north 1 east 1 south and 1 to the west....

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
My opinion, if i read this right, is the dealer took advantage. I ordered my tractor in April but my mower deck didn't come in until July. My dealer was able to finance the MMM with the original tractor purchase where I just signed and paid for the mower when it came in. Dealer picked up my tractor and installed the mower no extra charge. Then just this past year I requested a grapple from him which wasn't in stock/ready. He quoted me a price which was before the April increases. His pre increase quoted price was what I paid no increase.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The “web quote” document is a bit odd in that it says “quote” at the top and then at the bottom excludes a variety of charges that make it clear it’s not really a “quote”, at least not what would commonly be considered an enforceable quote in a legal context, going as far as to say “see your dealer for Dealer product pricing”. Maybe I missed it (I am reading this on an iPhone8) but that’s the only document I see with the $2701 deck price.

If you’re irritated enough to push the issue, consultation with a local attorney is likely the next step as consumer laws vary to some degree from state to state. I suspect you’ll find your legal standing is much less sound than your moral standing.

If it were me, I would take my lumps and make sure that particular dealership never saw another penny of mine. I don’t think screwing a customer out of a few hundred dollars is a good outcome long term even if it is technically defensible from a legal perspective. Numerous unreturned calls, lack of timely follow up, misleading at worst, terrible communication at best. They clearly either don’t care about you as a customer or for some reason they prefer you take your business elsewhere. I would oblige their wishes and go elsewhere.

Reactions: 6 users