Parts are parts, right? Wrong…

IdahoNative

Equipment
Kubota B7100D 4x4, non-HST, FEL 1630
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
I just took the B7100D out for a test drive.

Months ago, the clutch went out (of course soon after I bought it). Never had a tractor and never worked on one. Got out the manual and split the tractor, ordered aftermarket and replaced the disk, pplate, TO bearing and some seals. I adjusted the pplate fingers per instructions. If I recall, the entire job took me about 18 hours, most of it on the pplate fingers and connecting the two halves. After patting myself on the back, I fired it up. Clutch would not disengage! @#$$&! Split it again and discovered the TO was the wrong one! I did manage to shave 2 hours off, down to 16 hours this time. But wait, there’s more…

The clutch still wouldn’t disengage! Must be the fingers, they didn’t cooperate very well. So I split it for the third time. Sure enough, the finicky pplate fingers were bent and all out of spec. Upon comparing them to the OEM pplate, the aftermarket fingers were flimsy and held in place with cheap hardware. But the plate itself looked like OEM, so I made my own finger studs and used grade 8 stuff and thread locker. Buttoned it up (about 12 hours this time) and….it lasted about an hour!

Fourth time must be the charm, I told myself as I ordered an OEM pplate. Total work time 6 hours. Put it to a 4 hour test grading our private road…clutch worked as it should. And now I can do a clutch on a B7100D with a FEL in my sleep!

Aftermarket parts have treated me well on cars and pickups. But when it comes to OEM vs aftermarket Kubota parts…STICK WITH OEM!

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I just took the B7100D out for a test drive.

Months ago, the clutch went out (of course soon after I bought it). Never had a tractor and never worked on one. Got out the manual and split the tractor, ordered aftermarket and replaced the disk, pplate, TO bearing and some seals. I adjusted the pplate fingers per instructions. If I recall, the entire job took me about 18 hours, most of it on the pplate fingers and connecting the two halves. After patting myself on the back, I fired it up. Clutch would not disengage! @#$$&! Split it again and discovered the TO was the wrong one! I did manage to shave 2 hours off, down to 16 hours this time. But wait, there’s more…

The clutch still wouldn’t disengage! Must be the fingers, they didn’t cooperate very well. So I split it for the third time. Sure enough, the finicky pplate fingers were bent and all out of spec. Upon comparing them to the OEM pplate, the aftermarket fingers were flimsy and held in place with cheap hardware. But the plate itself looked like OEM, so I made my own finger studs and used grade 8 stuff and thread locker. Buttoned it up (about 12 hours this time) and….it lasted about an hour!

Fourth time must be the charm, I told myself as I ordered an OEM pplate. Total work time 6 hours. Put it to a 4 hour test grading our private road…clutch worked as it should. And now I can do a clutch on a B7100D with a FEL in my sleep!

Aftermarket parts have treated me well on cars and pickups. But when it comes to OEM vs aftermarket Kubota parts…STICK WITH OEM!
Glad your persistence paid off. Now that you are great at doing a clutch on a B7100, you'll probably never have to do it again! Life is like that.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I ordered a clutch and pilot bearing and then... never took mine apart. I've felt it slip when doing highly repetitive loader work but it holds if i dont get it hot.

It's possible that since i bought parts i'll just never need them now, like JerryMT was saying. Kinda like if you spend enough money on a generator your power will never go out, etc etc. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Where did you get the aftermarket setup from?

And saying it's your fault that it failed, so please take these as inquirers and not a inquisition.
Is it possible that it failed from mal adjustment?
Normally you don't have to do any adjustments to them out of the box.
And is it possible that the throw-out bearing being wrong possibly damaged the pressure plate, like bent it or overheated it?
And was it a wrong bearing or just installed backwards (I've done that one)?

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Where did you get the aftermarket setup from?

And saying it's your fault that it failed, so please take these as inquirers and not a inquisition.
Is it possible that it failed from mal adjustment?
Normally you don't have to do any adjustments to them out of the box.
And is it possible that the throw-out bearing being wrong possibly damaged the pressure plate, like bent it or overheated it?
And was it a wrong bearing or just installed backwards (I've done that one)?
I can’t find the guys card, but I ordered it on ebay…I will check tonight.

Great questions…
It’s possible I failed in the adjustment, but I was very careful, my son 3d printed a jig to set them. The aftermarket fingers were all different heights too. Plus there was an obvious difference in quality.

I thought and hoped the TO was backwards, but it wasn’t, had to buy the correct one. I don’t think it ran enough to cause damages. Again, the quality of the OEM is outstanding.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks, just curious as it's good to have info on what to avoid.
I've done both OEM and aftermarket and have had great success with both.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I ordered a clutch and pilot bearing and then... never took mine apart. I've felt it slip when doing highly repetitive loader work but it holds if i dont get it hot.

It's possible that since i bought parts i'll just never need them now, like JerryMT was saying. Kinda like if you spend enough money on a generator your power will never go out, etc etc. :ROFLMAO:
I would not bet on it!
I think you are "living on borrowed time".

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I recon I'm just fortunate. I've installed a few clutchs and the only one I ever adjusted was a dual clutch on a Deutz and I adjusted it when it was in place and I was laying on the ground looking up at it.

And it was a problem not engaging because the tractor was a trade in and the dealer installed a new clutch. It took so long the lost (or didn't know) a spacer was required and they left it out. I had to separate, install spacer, then adjust.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Your persistence is commendable. I don't know if tractor techs work by 'flat rate' or not but you'd be making decent money on those now...hahahah

I also learned the hard way. I have done a few automotive clutch's and always gone with OEM or better. (unless your talking about Mopar Dual Mass flywheels...absolute junk...always swap them out to a single mass...trust me)

tsp159

Equipment
B7100D
Feb 8, 2023
Fort Bend Texas
I can’t find the guys card, but I ordered it on ebay…I will check tonight.

Great questions…
It’s possible I failed in the adjustment, but I was very careful, my son 3d printed a jig to set them. The aftermarket fingers were all different heights too. Plus there was an obvious difference in quality.

I thought and hoped the TO was backwards, but it wasn’t, had to buy the correct one. I don’t think it ran enough to cause damages. Again, the quality of the OEM is outstanding.
Oh no, I hope it's not the ebay guy that everyone recommends. I ordered a clutch kit from him!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Some aftermarket parts are made from old, worn, out of spec OEM tooling sold to aftermarket part producers. Other aftermarket parts are made from either reverse engineered or re-tooled parts. Some parts are re-manufactured.

Sometimes it's just a crap shoot. I've been lucky getting new K parts for old equipment without much waiting around. It's a big reason why I buy K equipment.

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Oh no, I hope it's not the ebay guy that everyone recommends. I ordered a clutch kit from him!
I didn’t get his name from this forum. I picked him because of his price. Valuable lesson learned. If you use a seller recommended by others here, you’ll be fine

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Your persistence is commendable. I don't know if tractor techs work by 'flat rate' or not but you'd be making decent money on those now...hahahah

I also learned the hard way. I have done a few automotive clutch's and always gone with OEM or better. (unless your talking about Mopar Dual Mass flywheels...absolute junk...always swap them out to a single mass...trust me)
You mean my stubbornness 😄