Paralysis by Analysis, and the sinking of the USS Good Idea.........

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Although I still have no idea of what to do next time....I can assure you that there will be a "next time"..
I would advise following the Runs With Scissors tradition next time, with a minor revision: "No need to hold my beer this time...where is my laptop anyway?" OTT is only a couple keystrokes away... :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
IME box section always closes up when you cut it. I guess there are residual stresses from the roll-forming/welding process.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I have a couple hundred BH hours on my tractor, I dont see how you could damage those hoses? I do know a guy who is bored with a few beers a welder, torches and plazma cutter can be a dangerous combination! LOL! Now with that said a nice size step on the outrigger would be nice. You could stand on it and lift yourself up to the seat!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
"So I need to get an idea of the angle the step will have to be at so it is more or less"flat" when the arm is on level ground. I know that will change depending on the height of the outrigger, but I'm ok with that if the step is large enough"

Have the step swivel just like the outrigger pad so you can stand on it and lift yourself up to the seat! Just an idea in throwing out there.

Reactions: 1 user

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
In a tough spot I remember advice from my Marine friend, “When in doubt, attack!” has helped me break thru problems.

Prototyping success is finding out what will not work is as important as what does.

if 10% of new ideas work, your a great inventor. I’m happy with 1-2%.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have a couple hundred BH hours on my tractor, I dont see how you could damage those hoses?
I'm not sure either, but it happened.

It was when I was backing into a pretty wooded area to clear it out, so a branch must have popped up and "whacked" them pretty good.

Fluke???....Maybe, but since I like tinkering, it's all good.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: outrigger covers....

Maybe for version 23point4 , use a section of 6" well casing with some supports at both ends ? You remove the 'foot', slide the casing down, tighten 6 or 8 screws, repin the foot .

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
re: outrigger covers....

Maybe for version 23point4 , use a section of 6" well casing with some supports at both ends ? You remove the 'foot', slide the casing down, tighten 6 or 8 screws, repin the foot .
Yea, I thinking something along those lines. That would give me something to weld the step to as well

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee, the 'slightly modified' step in post #5 only needs minor 'tweaking' to return to 'like new' condition......
FYI, I've used wood ( 1/4" plywood, 1by sticks) to make 'mockups' before using steel. Wood seems to cut easier, assemble with screws,and holes are simple to do.....
course now I'm thinking that carpet 'tubes' might make good test cylinder protectors.......

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
I operate in the rocks and sticks too. Can be rough on equipment. Encourage your creative solutions. Maybe a two piece protection. One attached to outrigger tubing to guard the lines and one slider to provide step and cylinder rod protection. The latter used on most commercial backhoes.
IMG_2758.jpeg

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I ripped my right outrigger hose off in the woods with a grape vine and have given some thought to guard/step combo. My thought but untried is to make the guard protect the hose and fasten it to each cylinder with a couple of right sized exhaust clamps as long as it missed everything when up and the step was mounted to that. I was thinking a piece of 3" emt (something I have on hand) with one side cut out might even make both from one piece. Again not tried yet but figure it takes away all the problem with movement between the outrigger and the cylinder in the up and down.

Bill

Sometime between dec and now I tried my hand at a guard and this is the result.

I used 2 walker 33278 3" band clamps for each one. They are around $20 each around town but from Rockauto the are less than $10. I wanted it add a step and be solid to the cylinder so movement up and down wouldn't risk damage to the hose and fitting. I used an 11 inch piece of 2x2x1/4 angle and fastened it to the clamps with some extra 7/16 thread nuts I picked up at tsc. the angle winds up being even with the end of the cylinder and comes close to the platform when up on the other end.

The tubing was 3" od exhaust I think about 15" long but I would have to check on that. I split in half with the plasma cutter and trimmed to that shape cutting it back to 11" long in the mounting area. I welded a piece of flat stock to that and nuts on the back side to secure it to the angle. The step is a piece from some shipping I had that is about 4.5 square. I mounted it at 45 deg to the angle iron and as the one picture shoes it should be about right when the leg is down more in use. I haven't tried it yet only hooked it to the tractor while on the dolly. there is a support piece under the step, back to the end of the angle. Some rubber from HF i picked up to make it non slip. With it down and on the dolly which is attached height the step was secure and useful getting this 70 yo bag of bones up there. I would say my design is a bit in the way with it in the up position if you were trying to get on but I have always found it a little tight to get on and tend to put the leg down some before.

Bill

Attachments

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
I ripped my right outrigger hose off in the woods with a grape vine and have given some thought to guard/step combo. My thought but untried is to make the guard protect the hose and fasten it to each cylinder with a couple of right sized exhaust clamps as long as it missed everything when up and the step was mounted to that. I was thinking a piece of 3" emt (something I have on hand) with one side cut out might even make both from one piece. Again not tried yet but figure it takes away all the problem with movement between the outrigger and the cylinder in the up and down.

Bill

I used 2 walker 33278 3" band clamps for each one. They are around $20 each around town but from Rockauto the are less than $10. I wanted it add a step and be solid to the cylinder so movement up and down wouldn't risk damage to the hose and fitting. I used an 11 inch piece of 2x2x1/4 angle and fastened it to the clamps with some extra 7/16 thread nuts I picked up at tsc. the angle winds up being even with the end of the cylinder and comes close to the platform when up on the other end.

The tubing was 3" od exhaust I think about 15" long but I would have to check on that. I split in half with the plasma cutter and trimmed to that shape cutting it back to 11" long in the mounting area. I welded a piece of flat stock to that and nuts on the back side to secure it to the angle. The step is a piece from some shipping I had that is about 4.5 square. I mounted it at 45 deg to the angle iron and as the one picture shoes it should be about right when the leg is down more in use. I haven't tried it yet only hooked it to the tractor while on the dolly. there is a support piece under the step, back to the end of the angle. Some rubber from HF i picked up to make it non slip. With it down and on the dolly which is attached height the step was secure and useful getting this 70 yo bag of bones up there. I would say my design is a bit in the way with it in the up position if you were trying to get on but I have always found it a little tight to get on and tend to put the leg down some before.

Bill
Impressive fabrication! I too appreciate steps to help with older people access.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

Bill

Bill
Thats a pretty sweet idea!!!!!!

I really like the big step too.

It's also nice to hear that I am not the only one that has ripped a hose or 2 off...LOL

Thanks for posting.