Pain in the butt mower deck

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I have a BX25D with the 54" mower deck and man the mower deck is hard to attach . I follow the instructions in the manual step by step but it seems like if the deck isn't EXACTLY straight the arms won't go over the hook up points on the deck. This is how I am hooking it up ..... wheels up and turned sideways on deck , roll it under the tractor , hook up the driveshaft , start the tractor and lower the arms , line up the deck and arms. Lower the arms all the way to engage the pins. That's where the problem is , the arms fit way too tight just drop over the hook points . Am I doing something wrong ? Any ideas ?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Get an extra person there to raise and lower arms as directed, while you pry. I use a tire iron to move deck back and forth, right and left. Ideally three persons, one on each arm and one on lever, but without that a lot of back and forth, up and down for your body. Do this only once a year and it still is a pain. Oh yes how about doing it for two tractors each year? That's why I miss my tow behind finish mower.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't recall having that particular problem. I have the 60" mower. If I remember correctly, I align as best I can, lower the arms to see how far off I am, then raise them to just above the contact points. I then pull out on the spring loaded "L" pins and lock them into the open position. I can then get up off the ground, move the right side to align the deck, then the left side, then check the right side again to make sure it is still OK. Adjust as necessary. I then lower the arms, release the spring loaded pin and then jiggle stuff until the pin slides into position. Repeat for the other side. It certainly is a bit of a pain in the posterior. I have more trouble attaching the PTO because I have a skid plate that works with the mower installed. I can barely reach over the 60" mower, feed the PTO through the skid plate opening, and align the splines to install.
Hope this helps.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sell the MMM and buy a rear finish mower. This gets rid of the headache and one person can hook it up without needing to get down on the ground.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Well if it were me, I would park the tractor over a paved area, mark where the tires go, mark when the deck sits when it is lined up and then all you have to do is position the tractor per the marks, slide the deck in, align it to the marks made for it and everything should line right up.

Just use the pavement as a big template!

David

kubotaman574

Equipment
BX2670 B2650
Aug 8, 2013
Elkhart In
I install my 60" MMM in 5 min. Set the Deck on Drive, put FEL over Deck with bucket pointed down, lift Tractor, roll deck under tractor and set it back down.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Well if it were me, I would park the tractor over a paved area, mark where the tires go, mark when the deck sits when it is lined up and then all you have to do is position the tractor per the marks, slide the deck in, align it to the marks made for it and everything should line right up.

Just use the pavement as a big template!

David
Think I may have it figured out guys. Used two pieces of 4x4 in front of the rear wheels after I rolled the deck in . It alings the deck square with the tractor , much better .

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a BX25D with the 54" mower deck and man the mower deck is hard to attach . I follow the instructions in the manual step by step but it seems like if the deck isn't EXACTLY straight the arms won't go over the hook up points on the deck. This is how I am hooking it up ..... wheels up and turned sideways on deck , roll it under the tractor , hook up the driveshaft , start the tractor and lower the arms , line up the deck and arms. Lower the arms all the way to engage the pins. That's where the problem is , the arms fit way too tight just drop over the hook points . Am I doing something wrong ? Any ideas ?

Koja,

I had the exact same problem on my 60" mmm on my BX,
but I was in gravel, it was my first time and i was mad before i got there!
But.....

I pry bar or big ass screwdriver will allow the two piece to align, I hooked the pto last.....hell that is the easy part.....

I want to do it again one day......but on a nice smooth concrete/pavement flat area.

It will get easier now you know where the problem spots are.:D

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
What's also a bitch is doing it many years over and forgetting to read the manual again. Then, with the three pt set for winter and the bars held up, it can take an hour or so before you figure out why those bars don't come down.:mad:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
And here I thought this thread was more SPAM about skinny jeans... talk about disappointment... LOL! :D

Ky Kubota

Equipment
'13 BX2670, FEL, 60" MMM, Land Pride RB1560 rear bladeLand Pride RTR 0550 tiller
Nov 8, 2013
Berea, Ky
Smooth surface is your friend. I have no issues taking my 60" MMM on and off,,don't even turn my wheels, slides on the concrete garage floor just fine.