Paging Dr. Hackenslash.....Paging Dr. Hackenslash.......

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
OK....I hesitate to post this....but since I'll never actually meet any of you...what the hell.

My cottage is 4 hours north of my house, and they tend to get a lot more snow up there than I do here.

I have a plow for my truck, but the problem is when I get on the freeway at speeds above 65 mph with the plow on, the truck overheats rather quickly.

I have tried it all.....lowering the blade, angling the blade, replacing the fan clutch.....new coolant....

Last year I even made an "air scoop"......EPIC FAIL....

You name it...... I've tried it.....

The only thing I haven't tried is a "wing" or "air deflector"

Mind you....I've had all year to build this, but in my infinite wisdom/laziness, I waited until the day before I was leaving to do it.......

Paging Dr. Hackenslash.......Paging Dr. Hackenslash......

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I had a friend that worked in the GM air tunnel look at it and he suggested a "wing" mounted directly to the top of the plow. They do sell them but they are like $500 bucks so I decide to see what I can make.

Keep in mind this is a rush job and "looks" are NOT important, this is purely a function test.

Looking through the scrap pile I find a sheet of sheet mystery aluminum and some 3/16 mystery aluminum plate.

I take some rough measurements and 'freehand' a template for the plasma cutter.

Then try to smooth them out a bit.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You got them wacked out, but wouldn't a saws-all get it done quicker and cleaner? Your misc. pile of iron is better equipped than mine !!!

I hope you design works 'cause you won't really know until you're down the road a ways. Might have to just slow down if you really need to get there no matter what.

Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
So, if I am understanding, this "wing" on top of your plow blade will direct air down to the radiator of your truck?

If this won't/doesn't work, have you considered an external oil cooler or 2nd heater core mounted in the engine bay (somewhere it can get good air flow).

My classic car (Austin Mini) has had some engine mods on it's huge engine (998cc) and it always runs hot on the highway, no matter what, so I installed a 2nd heater core up near the grille and problem went away. (I didn't even have to have an oil cooler, but many folks do that as well)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
You got them wacked out, but wouldn't a saws-all get it done quicker and cleaner? Your misc. pile of iron is better equipped than mine !!!

I hope you design works 'cause you won't really know until you're down the road a ways. Might have to just slow down if you really need to get there no matter what.
1. I'm still learning the plasma cutter, so I'm still at the trial and error phase.
2. My Sawz-all is up north. LOL
3. I live near a freeway so testing will be quick and if it don't work...your right, It'll be a 5.5 hour drive at 55

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So, if I am understanding, this "wing" on top of your plow blade will direct air down to the radiator of your truck?

If this won't/doesn't work, have you considered an external oil cooler or 2nd heater core mounted in the engine bay (somewhere it can get good air flow).

My classic car (Austin Mini) has had some engine mods on it's huge engine (998cc) and it always runs hot on the highway, no matter what, so I installed a 2nd heater core up near the grille and problem went away. (I didn't even have to have an oil cooler, but many folks do that as well)
Yep, I am trying to deflect the air into the radiator. The last "scoop" I made didn't do a darn thing, but my buddy said that I probably have to catch the air before it gets to the plow...I dunno, we will see.

I have considered external coolers, but I'm trying to avoid it.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Interesting challenge! Hope you get it figured out. I wonder if a ‘pusher’ fan blade would work?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Now that I have the ribs cut, I need to try to bend this big gas piece of mystery metal into some sort of a "wing" design. Not having access to a large brake made it tough.

I found a old square fence post that I could clamp to the welding table, and using a mallet and some brute force was able to get a 90'ish degree angle.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Because aluminum is not magnetic, my 90 degree jig was worthless. So the clamps were about the best I could come up with.

Not the best, but good enough for this project.

But as you can see in the third picture warping was a big problem. I knew going into this that I was going to have to pour a ton of heat into those ribs and that welding the sheet metal to them was going to be problematic at best.

25 years ago I would have done this the right way, by making the ribs from sheet metal with lightening holes for added strength and riveted the entire thing together.

The problem is I sold all my rivet guns and bucking bars when I stopped working on aircraft.

Advice to young guys getting started......Two thing you should never sell...Guns and Tools

Attachments

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The warping was becoming so bad , that I had to just 'stitch weld' them and call it good enough.

Then I cut some slits along the rib and welded some "legs" that I will use to attach to brackets that I will fab up.

Looking back at those welds is making me nauseous...LOL

The last pic is a good look at the warping that occurred.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Well, here she is in all her glory.

Rummaging around the scrap pile I found some angle's from a bed frame that my wife had pitched in the trash, to use for the attachment angles.

Me: "Hey why are you throwing that perfectly good bed frame away?"

Wife: "Damn it Paul, why do you keep every single scrap POS, just throw it away!!!!"

Me: "Oh, I'll use it for something one day"

Wife: mutters something about the house looking like "Sanford and Son" while walking way

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What ever you end up with make sure it's anchored good enough to stay in place. Going 65 MPH and trying to catch wind, you sure don't want it in your wind shield or someone else's!

i had a similar problem (just not going as far) i bought some additive to put in the cooling system that helped greatly. Can't remember what it was, got it at NAPA.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Well boys, after some angle adjustments and some freeway testing I am proud to report that she works pretty darn good.

At 75 mph I maintained a temp of about 195'ish degrees.

I am happy to report that even going with the wind, on a 35 degree day, which was very problematic before, she performed great.

The last 2 pics are from last years attempt at a cooling scoop that did not work.

Attachments

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
i had a similar problem (just not going as far) i bought some additive to put in the cooling system that helped greatly. Can't remember what it was, got it at NAPA.
I've used redline water wetter before with good results. Promotes heat transfer.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
nice! and with the uplift you're getting from the wing, it may just do a bit to offset the weight imbalance created by the plow hanging out there (at speed only, of course).

The ricer kids are surely jealous of your wing.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
After thoughts and 3 problems.

So I've had this on for about 3 weeks and it has performed admirably; However.....

The next morning, on my way to work, I discovered that it sat so high, it blocked the plow headlights, so the drive into work was much darker than normal.

The fix for that was to simply lower it a wee bit. Since I always drive around with it strapped up, lowering it was not problematic at all.

Now for the biggest problems......

I can't stop hitting things with it....Hahahahaha.....

I have hit nearly everything under the sun. It now looks like it's been in a 'demolition derby'. That extra few inchs really makes a difference when pulling into parking spaces.

Last problem is that I can't close my garage door with it on. I only had about 1 inch of clearance before I installed it and now I have to remove it to shut the door. :unsure:

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Well, here she is in all her glory.

Rummaging around the scrap pile I found some angle's from a bed frame that my wife had pitched in the trash, to use for the attachment angles.

Me: "Hey why are you throwing that perfectly good bed frame away?"

Wife: "Damn it Paul, why do you keep every single scrap POS, just throw it away!!!!"

Me: "Oh, I'll use it for something one day"

Wife: mutters something about the house looking like "Sanford and Son" while walking way
Too funny Paul!

I think my wife might be her long lost sister or sumthin' ! ;-)

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I see a couple small, lightweight LED lights mounted to the wing or plow or lightbar (on your roofrack you don't yet have mounted) in your future.

Keep up the great work and pix !