P0336 code

Ryansweatt2004

Equipment
2017 kubota L3901HST
Jul 2, 2015
West gardiner maine, USA
So I earlier this afternoon I was tilling a food plot in a clearing and an old rotted piece of firewood that was buried jammed the tiller and stalled my new 2017 L3901. Now it's flashing the P0336 code. Still runs fine but I can't find any info in my owners manual and there's very limited info online about it. I've stalled my old 2015 L3901 a few times and nothing has ever happened. Gonna give my dealer a call tomorrow but until then is there anyway to manually clear the code?

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
That's a crankshaft position sensor error. The error code clear is done by the dealer, as they have the computers to do it. I have been up to my elbows learning codes just to be prepared! Anyway Kubota has stated there are some codes coming back Bc of software issues and other codes Bc of a dirty sensor. But since you are under warranty and want it to last, have your dealer check it and get it all documented. Documentation is the name of the game here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Stalling the engine will sometimes do that.

When they first came out, it was more common.

The ECU program has a threshold. If engine RPM were to drop below, I think at that time, 500 RPM for 1 second (and stay running) it would set PO336. The second "year models" (Kubota doesn't have year models, but they do extensively use serial numbers to distinguish the manufacture dates, etc) had different ECU programming which decreased the RPM threshold to somewhere around 400 RPM and for a longer period of time. The 16 and 17 models don't have this problem, unless your 17 is a leftover 15 model-which is entirely possible.

What happens is when the RPM drops below that point with the engine continuing to run for X amount of time or longer, the ECU "thinks" that the crankshaft position sensor has experienced an abnormality-and then it sets a code in the ECU AND the panel (where the hourmeter is). It can be removed from the panel manually but since it's stored in the ECU, it may (or may not) come back. I think there is a youtube video that shows how to clear it from the panel.

Another possibility would be manufacturing debris (steel particles) stuck to the sensor's magnet-which would also contribute to a PO336 code. The metal filings can confuse the sensor's signal giving the ECU a "false" reading, which would then trigger a code.

The sensor reads the flywheel. On the outside diameter of the flywheel are I think 90 holes that are machined into it. IIRC a few of the holes are spaced differently, so that the ECU would know where the engine's crankshaft position is at. It is a very sensitive sensor, so anything on the either the flywheel or the sensor could throw a false reading and a code. I saw a flywheel that had it's holes machined in an odd manner, which causes the metal around the holes to "stick up" about .10mm. VERY little, but was enough to cause an issue. It was barely noticeable to the naked eye and honestly I had split the tractor, inspected the flywheel, and somehow overlooked it until another tech mentioned it's sensitivity. That's how sensitive it really is.

Also, with the PO336 stored, the engine runs a little weird as the system defaults to camshaft position only for injection timing; and is a little down on power. It can also affect the regen function, so it's worth getting it looked at.

Last edited:

Ryansweatt2004

Equipment
2017 kubota L3901HST
Jul 2, 2015
West gardiner maine, USA
So that tractor still ran fine after throwing that code. Took it to the dealer this morning, I had to go in and pick up parts anyway. The service guy who normally does all the computer work was out so the service manager gave me a print out of the manual procedure for clearing the code. He said that if it pops up again to have them look at it. The procedure worked for deleting the flashing code, tractor still runs fine so we will see if it stays this way. Thanks everyone for the help.

primeaux

Mar 9, 2015
Kaplan, La
My L3301 did the same thing at the camp while I was bushhogging. Brought it to the dealer the Monday after I came back and all the did was clear code from ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
In a situation like this could you just disconnect the battery to clear the code if you know/think it is an anomaly? Then if it throws the code again you would know it is for real? I am new to tractors throwing codes but have had cars do it because of temp changes, sitting too long, etc.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
In a situation like this could you just disconnect the battery to clear the code if you know/think it is an anomaly? Then if it throws the code again you would know it is for real? I am new to tractors throwing codes but have had cars do it because of temp changes, sitting too long, etc.
Not necessarily. Some codes are stored in the ECU memory, it's really just a small computer. On the other hand some codes can be cleared with an OBD reader, some require the manufacturers software AKA via dealer.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
So that tractor still ran fine after throwing that code. Took it to the dealer this morning, I had to go in and pick up parts anyway. The service guy who normally does all the computer work was out so the service manager gave me a print out of the manual procedure for clearing the code. He said that if it pops up again to have them look at it. The procedure worked for deleting the flashing code, tractor still runs fine so we will see if it stays this way. Thanks everyone for the help.
Could you share the procedure ?

Reactions: 1 user

KMFMGK

Equipment
Kubota L-3901
Jun 14, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I have an L-3901 that is flashing a PO336 code. There is also a red light on the instrument panel (far left side) that came on. I awitched tractor off and recranked and red light disappeared but the code is still flashing. Tractor runs fine. I was told that 2 ReGen Cycles would delete the code. I was also told that if you don't work the tractor hard, in a few years you will have to have your DPF (Departiculate Filter) replaced. Anyone have to go through replacing their DPF? If so, what was the cost? Thanks

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The filter by itself for a L3560 is currently $1,600. That doesn't include all the other parts or pieces.

No code has to be inserted here.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Check out this post:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have an L-3901 that is flashing a PO336 code. There is also a red light on the instrument panel (far left side) that came on. I awitched tractor off and recranked and red light disappeared but the code is still flashing. Tractor runs fine. I was told that 2 ReGen Cycles would delete the code. I was also told that if you don't work the tractor hard, in a few years you will have to have your DPF (Departiculate Filter) replaced. Anyone have to go through replacing their DPF? If so, what was the cost? Thanks
Have not heard that 2 regen cycles would remove a code. Who told you that? Before you panic, the dpf filter can be removed and cleaned by Kubota or specialized services. You don’t have to get a new one unless something drastic happens to yours or you can’t do without your tractor for a couple weeks. No don’t get the idea of taking it off and power washing it yourself. They normally last for 3000 hours.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
many of the codes are set both in the panel AND in the ECU, as said previously.

To clear them from panel:

get into the seat engine OFF get comfortable.
hold down both of the buttons on the left side of the dash (some tractors will have them on the right side)--one is the regen inhibit button the other is the park regen button. Hold them down and keep holding them for a few seconds.

while holding both buttons down turn the key on.

In the display where the hourmeter normally shows hours (or your code), you should see a letter "A". If you do, let go of the buttons.

If you don't see letter "A", start over from the beginning by turning the key off.

Now that you see the "A" in the panel, reach down and mash the Parked regen button ONCE (one on the right, on the L3301/L3901/L4701)-others may be different locations. You'll hear a beep and the letter in the panel should change to a "B". If you don't see a B, or if you went too far to "C", keep mashing the parked regen button one at a time til you get to "B" and STOP. You need to be on B, not A, C, or D.

Once you are on B, HOLD DOWN the parked regen button until you get a beep then release. In the panel is should say "PUSH".

Once you see "PUSH", hold down the parked regen button again until you get a beep again. I forget what it says after that, but at that point you just cleared the code from the panel and you simply turn the key off, wait about 30 seconds, and turn it back on to verify that the code disappeared.

IF your code didn't disappear or it did and reappeared, you have a hard code or you didn't do the procedure correctly. As said some codes are hard codes meaning you won't be able to clear them. The two most common codes I saw were P0606 (low battery voltage) and P0336 (crank sensor abnormality). Please note that while automotive industry uses the same codes, the terminology is completely different, Kubota's is easier (for me) to understand. Hard code means that you can't clear it, there's some other problem and the only place that can clear it is a dealer who has access to the hardware that can properly diagnose it.

Ok so if you successfully got through using B mode to clear the panel lets go into diagnosis of the safety switches. You guys that do tech work will absolutely love this, if you haven't' seen it already. I had two techs working under me, neither could ever figure this out and it is so simple. Note that "A mode" doesn't clear any codes, it's just various monitors to my knowledge but it has a hidden function that I am not sure had an intended usage, at least for what I used it for.

Same procedure....key off, mash both buttons for a few seconds, THEN turn the key on. You will be in A mode. Mash the parked regen button and hold it down. It should beep and come up with a 1, a colon then a number or alphanumeric code. Once you are into that, let off of the parked regen button. I think it's 1 through 9. #5,6,7 are EGT's that the ECU sees at the various locations. Note that with a load on the engine at just the right RPM, your EGT can get really hot so dont stand in front of the exhaust trying to sniff how how it really is. RPM shows up one another one. Throttle position on another. IIRC #9 is a software or memory code. Anyway, at this point to check your switches all you need to do is be in one of the many sections, 1-9, I usually just use 1 because it's the first one. Each time you activate a safety switch you will hear a beep. Get up off the seat, beep. Back on the seat, beep. PTO turned on beep. HST forward, beep, reverse beep. Park brake on, beep. neutral lever in & out of gear, beep. For instance if your tractor won't start, just activate the switches by moving the levers and pedals until you find the one that doesn't beep, you found your problem. Doing it this way saves a TON of time. That doesn't mean the switch is bad, it could be a wire ripped off or possibly a wiring problem at the ecu, who knows. OFtentimes I'd go out to a field repair to a tractor that was exhibing a no-start condition after being used without problems. I'd immediately go in to A mode, diag the switches. Often I'd find that the pto was bumped without the operator knowing, A mode beep test would show it immediately. Also works with the HST pedal switch adjustment, and diagnosis of the sensitivity of the pedal switch. Real common with the earlier MX5200/MX5800 HST's

There is also a C and D mode on some models, WSM outlines them, has to do with tire sizes and a few other things on certain models. I recommend not messing with C and D as you can mess some stuff up if u ain't careful. A and B are the only two you need to know. If you get to C or D, just shut the key off and start over.

Note this only applies to tractors that have common rail injection, from 2014 and newer, and may have changed for the 2021 models. I only speak for the L3301, L3901, L4701, MX5200, MX5800, MX6000 at this point and have not verified it's workings on the bigger M series as well as the grand L-60 series. Probably a youtube video for it, and for the ones I haven't tried with.

yall might want to sticky this or at least bookmark it. I ain't on here all that often anymore so it'd be wise to keep it handy. And if there are any corrections needed, feel free to either correct them for me or ask me to and I'll edit. My apologies for any spelling errors. I type about 85 wpm and I make errors. Thank goodness for the backspace but I don't catch them all.

Reactions: 2 users