Over heating

Double Stack

Equipment
Kubota MX5000 LB702
Aug 20, 2014
Jewett, TX
Have a LB702 which we inherited when we bought a ranch. Have used it maybe a dozen times and lately it's begun to get hot - Temp gauge almost to the red. Run in L2 or H3 for less than an hour. Oil level looks good, Radiator had fluid and outside radiator appeared clean. I've ordered an owners manual, but ideas would be appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think you need to go out and read the label on the tractor not the loader!
Sounds like you have a MX5000 with a LB702 loader.;)

When was the last complete fluid and filter change done?

How does the fan belt look?
How does the fan look?

With it cold, pull the radiator cap, start the tractor and looking inside the radiator do you see bubbles?

It could be several things if none of the above, bad thermostat, bad temp sending unit, bad water pump?

Get back to us and send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you the WSM (workshop service manual) for it, the ops manual will be worthless in trying to fix it. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Have a LB702 which we inherited when we bought a ranch. Have used it maybe a dozen times and lately it's begun to get hot - Temp gauge almost to the red. Run in L2 or H3 for less than an hour. Oil level looks good, Radiator had fluid and outside radiator appeared clean. I've ordered an owners manual, but ideas would be appreciated.
The cold radiator bubble trick is a good one, it tests for head gasket problems.
You say the fins "look" clean, spray it down with a water hose if you can get in there. CHeck around the water pump if so equipped. Check for weeping around
the pump.

IF you idle back down, does it cool down?

Double Stack

Equipment
Kubota MX5000 LB702
Aug 20, 2014
Jewett, TX
You're right, it is a MX5000. As the tractor came with the property when we bought it I don't know it's last service. Probably need to do it to have a base date. I assume it's something a newbie can do, with the help of a video or a book.
Next weekend I'll check the filters, coolant, belts, hoses, radiator. Hopefully will avoid any big repair.

I think you need to go out and read the label on the tractor not the loader!
Sounds like you have a MX5000 with a LB702 loader.;)

When was the last complete fluid and filter change done?

How does the fan belt look?
How does the fan look?

With it cold, pull the radiator cap, start the tractor and looking inside the radiator do you see bubbles?

It could be several things if none of the above, bad thermostat, bad temp sending unit, bad water pump?

Get back to us and send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you the WSM (workshop service manual) for it, the ops manual will be worthless in trying to fix it. ;)

Double Stack

Equipment
Kubota MX5000 LB702
Aug 20, 2014
Jewett, TX
I didn't try just idling. I just put it up and turned it off. Like any good city dweller would!

The cold radiator bubble trick is a good one, it tests for head gasket problems.
You say the fins "look" clean, spray it down with a water hose if you can get in there. CHeck around the water pump if so equipped. Check for weeping around
the pump.

IF you idle back down, does it cool down?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Congrats on the ranch and tractor!

With a cold engine, very carefully use a hose with water to flush the dirt and seeds from the radiator. Low flow, don't bend the fins of the radiator!

You might get a can of coil cleaner from the big box store and use that. It foams and loosens some of the gunk.

All of the other things mentioned can cause overheating. But with dry weather and Texas heat, the first thing to do is to make sure that the radiator fins are clean and not blocked either outside or in between.

Double Stack

Equipment
Kubota MX5000 LB702
Aug 20, 2014
Jewett, TX
Thanks for all the help with the overheating. The hubby didn't know what he was looking at. It was filthy. A good cleaning was all that was needed.
Now one of the hydraulic hoses to the loader has a pin hole leak. Off to the parts store. Any advice?

Reactions: 1 user

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Never run your hand along the hydraulic line to check for leaks. The pressure will inject fluid into your skin which means a painful trip to the hospital. Always use a piece of paper or cardboard to hunt for leaks.

Shops can replace hose and install connectors if you want to save money. I would think that Conroe would probably have such a place. Remove the hose assembly that is leaking and take it to be fixed at such a shop. With the gas and oil industry around your neighborhood, I would think that could be a less expensive solution than a new store-bought part.

ArklahomaCowboy

Equipment
2007 MX5000DT
Mar 24, 2024
Arklahoma, AR.
www.facebook.com
Thanks for all the help with the overheating. The hubby didn't know what he was looking at. It was filthy. A good cleaning was all that was needed.
Now one of the hydraulic hoses to the loader has a pin hole leak. Off to the parts store. Any advice?
Free advice is usually worth about what you pay for it. So this won’t cost much…

Having done the math. My neighbor has a hydraulics business. He showed me how having all my hoses made at his hydraulics shop. I get superior higher PSI rated hoses and fittings. Worst case I pay the same money. Usually it’s significantly less. This is not always true. So do your research.

Recently I replaced the four main hoses from the hydraulic control box to my loader. Also, two of the four quick disconnects were leaking. Since I’ve never removed the loader. I had regular connectors put on. I intend to replace two hoses per week until they all have been replaced.

A great piece of mind for me is having the things I can a bit over engineered or overbuilt.

Good Luck 🍀

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Free advice is usually worth about what you pay for it. So this won’t cost much…

Having done the math. My neighbor has a hydraulics business. He showed me how having all my hoses made at his hydraulics shop. I get superior higher PSI rated hoses and fittings. Worst case I pay the same money. Usually it’s significantly less. This is not always true. So do your research.

Recently I replaced the four main hoses from the hydraulic control box to my loader. Also, two of the four quick disconnects were leaking. Since I’ve never removed the loader. I had regular connectors put on. I intend to replace two hoses per week until they all have been replaced.

A great piece of mind for me is having the things I can a bit over engineered or overbuilt.

Good Luck 🍀

Dead thread resurrection award winner! 👍
Posting to a 10 year old Dead thread is... Well... Not right.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Get a radiator genie and use it frequently while mowing.