Outside oil or kerosene tank owners

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
My daughter bought a house last year. Electric heat and a kerosene burner in the basement. The kero tank is ouside. Of course, when the heating season arrives, I purge the line of any water which is minimal, but if you dont catch it not only is there a miss fire but the igniter can be fried, and they are expensive! Tring to prevent this problem other than keeping the tank constantly topped off! Is there an additive anyone uses to prevent water from condensation?
I was also thinking about a water separator. What do y'all use? Does the water separator filter replace the regular filter canister or is it in addition to the regular filter? If the separator gets water in the bottom, doesn't it freeze outside if you dont emty it in time? Thinking about it the electric heat may be cheaper to run this year! LOL not really funny! Oh well any help is appreciated!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I use the Goldenrod 496 water-block filter system. Ibought it at TSC but amazon and many others also carry it:

85FC1B20-C397-49C9-ABA6-949607951593.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My daughter bought a house last year. Electric heat and a kerosene burner in the basement. The kero tank is ouside. Of course, when the heating season arrives, I purge the line of any water which is minimal, but if you dont catch it not only is there a miss fire but the igniter can be fried, and they are expensive! Tring to prevent this problem other than keeping the tank constantly topped off! Is there an additive anyone uses to prevent water from condensation?
I was also thinking about a water separator. What do y'all use? Does the water separator filter replace the regular filter canister or is it in addition to the regular filter? If the separator gets water in the bottom, doesn't it freeze outside if you dont emty it in time? Thinking about it the electric heat may be cheaper to run this year! LOL not really funny! Oh well any help is appreciated!
In days of old, we added a gallon of alcohol to our 275 gal. kero tank with each Winter fill.
I see that Home Depot sells an additive called "Power Flow" described for your purpose.

Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I use Pri-D for long term kerosene storage.
Prior to using it, my kerosene heater wick got slimed (smoky fire) and had to replace it.
I use the same for diesel fuel.
Pri-D.jpg

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Water Worm. A 4' long desiccant filled sock on a string that absorbs water. When it's full, hang it up to dry then reuse it.

Unlike filters and traps that capture water coming out of the tank, this prevents the water from pooling, feeding algae and corrosion. Works well for all fuels from diesel to gasoline. Also available in a mini version suitable for the fuel tanks of the equipment itself. I use them in the tractor tank, boat tanks, home heating oil tank, etc.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I use the Goldenrod 496 water-block filter system. Ibought it at TSC but amazon and many others also carry it:

View attachment 89915
Geo I saw this on line. I still wonder about the water freezing in the bottom. Your in Texas so I guess you dont have that problem? The tank is close to the ground. That filter looks a little long! I guess I cold remove some earth beneath the filter! Looks like it will use the old oil filter fittings?

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
In days of old, we added a gallon of alcohol to our 275 gal. kero tank with each Winter fill.
I see that Home Depot sells an additive called "Power Flow" described for your purpose.
Im going to pick some up today! Could only help!

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Water Worm. A 4' long desiccant filled sock on a string that absorbs water. When it's full, hang it up to dry then reuse it.

Unlike filters and traps that capture water coming out of the tank, this prevents the water from pooling, feeding algae and corrosion. Works well for all fuels from diesel to gasoline. Also available in a mini version suitable for the fuel tanks of the equipment itself. I use them in the tractor tank, boat tanks, home heating oil tank, etc.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.
This could be the ticket! And reusable!

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Thanks to everyone and their suggestions!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Geo I saw this on line. I still wonder about the water freezing in the bottom. Your in Texas so I guess you dont have that problem? The tank is close to the ground. That filter looks a little long! I guess I cold remove some earth beneath the filter! Looks like it will use the old oil filter fittings?
Firstly, I’ve had that filter installed for over two years now on an outside storage tank subjected to temperature exgtremes (from 100+ to 17-F and never found water in that filter canister. This is likely because if water is in my stored fuel it is likely still in the bottom of the tank and has yet to be picked up by the system.
However, if water WERE in the bottom it’d be quickly visible and I’d drain the canister.…and even if I was lazy and/or missed it… there is sufficient room to allow it to freeze without blocking or breaking the container. It would likely first freeze the drain plug and prevent it from opening…but in any case the water would be visible and at the bottom of the canister…still below the filter media and below the exit point of the system.… so if that occurred…. I’d simply either wait until it warmed up and drain it….or unscrew the see-thru canister and dump it out.
BTW, the 496 filter media is different from their 495 filter media…in that it prevents passage of water thru the media. If water in such large quantity ever collects so as to reach the media… it would not be allowed to pass. (Their 495 media only prevents passage of particulates.).
Hope this helps.

PS: This thread has some pics and description of how I use this in my fuel storage set up:

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If your concern is the Goldenrod (with the drain on the bottom) freezing, I have used that setup for over 30 years and never had anything freeze in it.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Dave I dont see anything about water dispersal?
I have never had issues with water in kerosene since using the product. I have had my tractor about 2 years, 140 hours on meter. The float in the fuel filter/water separator is still on the bottom of the bowl.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Warm humid days and cold nights are a great way to get condensation in your tank.

My preference is to keep the tank topped up in these conditions as you are still trying to burn water combined with your fuel additive. Adding fuel treatment isn't resolving the problem, only a band aid solution.

Reactions: 1 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I also used alcohol until several years ago when I discovered that acetone was better at absorbing moisture than most available types of alcohol. I generally add one ounce of acetone per 3 gallons of diesel fuel or gasoline.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Well with the lack of room, tank is close to the ground, I wound up getting the goldenrod 596 spin on water block.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I also used alcohol until several years ago when I discovered that acetone was better at absorbing moisture than most available types of alcohol. I generally add one ounce of acetone per 3 gallons of diesel fuel or gasoline.
Keep in mind your moisture grabbing additives will pull moisture from the air as well as any liquid present in your tank. If you put the additives in at the time you fill the tank great! If you put the additives into a half empty tank you are just adding more water into your fuel by pulling moisture from the air in the tank.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Be aware that Ford, and probably others, says that no alcohol should be used in the fuel. The alcohol might wipe out the high pressure fuel pump and cause damage costing over ten grand and the warranty won't pay for it. Some older lower pressure diesels might be OK with it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Be aware that Ford, and probably others, says that no alcohol should be used in the fuel. The alcohol might wipe out the high pressure fuel pump and cause damage costing over ten grand and the warranty won't pay for it. Some older lower pressure diesels might be OK with it.
Not true for home heating fuel use!