Outdoor storage under a tarp?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Maybe ask around the neighborhood if anyone has garage space. Like the little old lady with a two car garage and only one car. Just a thought.
It's a viable option....years ago I kept a neighbor's Farmall cub in exchange for using it to plow the drive occasionally :D was sorry when they moved up north and took it with them.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I help out my close friends, my best friend bubba has 2 boats and 3 watercraft. Small yard. So i keep his stuff here.another friend's son is fixing up his truck, so i keep it inside so its not full of snow when we arent fixing it.

I have many sheds. Its like a curse sometimes, when it comes to maintaining all these buildings.

No aquaintances nearby where you could rent a small indoor space?

I remember i had no place to store anything, had to store all my stuff outside.
Fixing cars in the dead of winter and replacing a starter in pouring rain.

Good luck,somehow it will work out for you.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ok, so we know you are not a unicorn. That leaves: elephant, horse, cow, monkey, . . . . or is sheepfarmer still trying to catch you? :confused: :p :D :D
Yes I am real, and the animal I am most often referred to used was jack something or other :D And sheepfarmer aint tryin to catch me,,, she is WAY smarted than that,,lol

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I agree with Eipo on the EMT do it yourself shed. Leave the ends open for air flow. Stake the sides to the ground using rebar to prevent "parachuting" in higher winds. With silver tarps from HF (they last longer in sunlight) you should be able to build up a decent shed. Or buy one of the HF shade buildings on sale -like someone else mentioned. Their framing is a little sturdier than EMT. You will need a place to store it during and after your renovation process.

I also agree with keeping it off grass and on a harder surface. Gravel is better than grass but treat it to prevent weeds and grass from popping up through it.

Buy a half dozen cans of light spray oil from WallyMart ($2 each) and paint every square inch of that machine after you park it inside. Light oil will go a long way towards preserving it from further decay. Touch it up every couple of months.

Put a couple of bait stations under the machine for rats and mice.

Ray

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yes, a PVC or EMT frame with tarp over it and ground ties (EMT is much better!). You'll be into it for about $50-60 but it will last and keep the stuff off the tractor without having it make contact with the tractor. Tarps dislike sharp edges and our tractors are full of them.

My father tried to tarp a tractor one year and within a month it was shredded. His ranch's gale force winds don't help much.

Keep the shelter as low to the ground (top of the tractor) as possible. If you can stack things like Hay bales, barrels or other things around the sides, it will break up the wind and help the shelter last longer.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
That's a great looking shelter, and nice and tight tarps. I can see how you tensioned the top, but how do you prevent it going airborne?

Each rib is connected to a section I drove in 5' on either side. The ribs consist of 2 10' sections bent at 60 degrees and 30 degrees to meet in the middle.

Sent from a field

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
One thing to worry about is water getting into the steering box and rusting or freezing.
There is a weep hole in the steering column to keep cleaned out. I cover my steering wheel with a plastic tub (cement/mortar mixing tub from Home Depot about 2x3feet), then cover with a canvas tarp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I love your spreader display too Tallbald. Nice looking yard.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
It's a viable option....years ago I kept a neighbor's Farmall cub in exchange for using it to plow the drive occasionally :D was sorry when they moved up north and took it with them.
I am babysitting a British Morgan +4 (old sports car) in an extra garage with my tractor in the other bay. Had this extra space when I first moved in to my house a few years ago and a colleague just had this car restored and no where to keep it. Instead of getting to use someone else's tractor on occasion- I get to toodle around on nice days in a little roadster wearing my British cap. It is good to run old cars on occasion, especially when they belong to someone else. :)

Ever thought of finding a tool shed on craigslist locally that someone wants to get rid of? I've seen them go for cheap- you just have to pay someone to move it. Would be great storage if the tractor was small.