Outdoor guys

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Truckers lingo a sled or skate board is refereed to as a flat bed trailer. Ahh the many many lingo's of common words! I bet the English language is fun to learn with all the slang terms.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
If not enough snow for a sled/snowmobile then ATV orrrrrrr a Rokon. Lot of places I'ld take a Rokon or a Rokon and a trailer over an ATV any day.

Ok..... edit

just looked at map for your area. Having lived up north of you and south of you...... Im not sure you get enough snow for a sled. Granted a short part of the year you do but question is do you really go out that part of the year. Maybe you do since your asking? How about a used rokon and a used sled? Together they equal one new sled or ATV/UTV and together take up about same space as UTV

Last edited:

rob82

Equipment
2012 BX25
Jan 18, 2013
Monroe,NJ
I have a 2003 Kawasaki Prarie 650 4x4 that I bought new and still love it. Goes anywhere. Not enough snow here in NJ for a sled. I would like to get a UTV I would stay with a Kawasaki since mine has had no issues. My son has the same atv that I have and he beat the crap out of it and its still going.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Atv's are narrower than side by sides. You need to check out some of your trail systems and see if there is a 50" maximum width limit. There are miles of trails around N Idaho, but a lot are only for narrower vehicles, that no side by side will fit on, just something to think about

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well for a quad if I go that route I wanted something that I could pull a 14 foot boat trailer with motor and all my camping stuff. I can off load the quad from the truck and hook it to the boat,,, at least that's the thought,, but the side by side does offer a lot more stability ,, I think,, but if I run in to the winter time in the GWN it may be more that either of those can do,, I don't know, I have never had a quad so I don't know what they can or can not do

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Sled=generally has no hitch and rarely goes below 60 mph.
Power toboggan= a machine most preferred by trappers and surveyors-has trailer hitch and a place to put an axe. good luck getting over 60 mph.

Quads,atvs,side by sides and utvs all have limitations.

Track kits are heavy, expensive and lower top end speed considerably. Also need to be over 500 cc's-to turn tracks. Break an axle with tracks and you are parked. No options.

I do like the polaris ranger diesel, pulls anything you want.

Do your research, many of these new machines have problems.
Would rather buy a good used one, that has a better track record.

Good luck with your decision.

I spent the last six years working around a variety of these machines.

Oh ya-dont even think about an argo.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I would never break trails in an ATV, the snow hides so much and they tend to roll on top of you if you aren't careful. I drive my brother's Grizzly and it's strong as an ox but heavy as heck.

I'd break trails with a nice UTV due to the roll over protection. I would also use a snowmobile as it's easier to bail off of.

My wife wants a Kubota RTV 900 but not for snow, only dustings where our ranch is, she wants it as a Ranch vehicle... the price I pay for getting the L3200 I guess... :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets -

I live well north and east of you in upstate NY. (Thank goodness a ways from Buffalo and Tug Hill)

I have many buds with both a UTV and a sled.

Most guys I know have an ATV or UTV for "work:" plowing, skidding/hauling wood, deer, maple sap, tools, etc. A 67 year old buddy just told me today he put 80 hours on his new RTV900 in a year, because it makes his work easier year 'round.

Most guys with sleds have them for fun, errr...I mean easier work. We have a lot of maintained trails here, and they can go 100 miles a day easy.

I don't have either - but I'm not lookin' to hang a chainsaw scabbard or tow hook off my Harley - if you get my drift!;)

We average 80" of snow a year here, and there are a lot of years that guys have to go north the Tug Hill (lake effect area) to ride. Even years like last year, the sled season was even shorter than the Harley season! My vote is one of them 'TV things, and I don't know much about them.

Last edited: