Out of Fuel .... Stupid stupid stupid

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Did oil, grease, filters. Fuel filter housing leaked so it was on and off a few times.
Get everything together start it up and moved it to the 'summer' spot.
Now a few days later. It starts and dies. Hmmmmm, A little longer on the glow plug and re-try. Starts, coughs and dies.
With advancing age and lack of the ability to read Japanese I put the fuel cutoff in the wrong position and ran it dry.
Visions of breaking all the possible bleed points gave me a heart ache as I am not too mechanical.
Yippie, Kubota must have had people like me in mind. Found the one bleeder and 15 minutes later I was off and running.
Had to by-pass the clutch safety by strapping it down to the front tie rod.

Hope you had a better day !

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Did oil, grease, filters. Fuel filter housing leaked so it was on and off a few times.
Now a few days later. It starts and dies. Hmmmmm, A little longer on the glow plug and re-try. Starts, coughs and dies.
With advancing age and lack of the ability to read Japanese I put the fuel cutoff in the wrong position and ran it dry.
Visions of breaking all the possible bleed points gave me a heart ache as I am not too mechanical.
Yippie, Kubota must have had people like me in mind. Found the one bleeder and 15 minutes later I was off and running.

It is mostly the age thing!
Bought a giant package of toilet paper this week ...$29.99
Checkout clerk apparently put it on bottom shelf of carriage.
I unloaded carriage basket, and drove home (28 miles).
I had no toilet paper in my trunk, and had even thrown receipt away.
Old age sux!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
I have so many brain farts lately I can’t keep up with them 😕

Reactions: 1 user

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Call the store and ask if anyone handed it back. I did that once and they told me to just grab another one and not to worry. That store always gets my business because of that.

Getting old isn’t for the faint hearted and none of us recover from it!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Call the store and ask if anyone handed it back. I did that once and they told me to just grab another one and not to worry. That store always gets my business because of that.

Getting old isn’t for the faint hearted and none of us recover from it!
It is a membership store chain (similar to COSTCO), and is 28 miles away.
I think my chances of recovery would be close to zero.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You might be surprised. Lot's of good people out there.

Still, would have been better to call immediately...

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You might be surprised. Lot's of good people out there.

Still, would have been better to call immediately...
[/QUOTE

I just abandoned the idea...... "immediately"
I did not want to make the 56 mile round trip, even to get the item back!
Won't be going there again for several weeks.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
That's why I always fill the tractor up after any use of more than an hour, if I remember to.:unsure:

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
That's why I always fill the tractor up after any use of more than an hour, if I remember to.:unsure:
Oh the tank was plenty full. Turned the valve the wrong way and shut down flow to the filter/water separator.

58Ford

Equipment
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Costco is actually the store I am talking about. It was a $60 bottle of Vodka. It was also the same distance drive.

“if ya never have a go, ya never ever know.”

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Costco is actually the store I am talking about. It was a $60 bottle of Vodka. It was also the same distance drive.

“if ya never have a go, ya never ever know.”
I wonder how many would turn in a lost $60 bottle of vodka?
Me thinks.....not many!

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy

Yeah it's going around!

Changed my oil in the truck as usual and never ever have forgot to put the oil cap back on.. yep, I'm glad I happen to open the hood a few days later. A little messy but not terribly bad!🙄

58Ford

Equipment
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
I wonder how many would turn in a lost $60 bottle of vodka?
Me thinks.....not many!
Sadly I would agree with you - however, that is completely irrelevant. My point was what they said when I asked if anyone had returned it. You will never know because you will never ask. Interesting how some people always seek out and find their own misery…….

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sadly I would agree with you - however, that is completely irrelevant. My point was what they said when I asked if anyone had returned it. You will never know because you will never ask. Interesting how some people always seek out and find their own misery…….
" Interesting how some people always seek out and find their own misery"
WHA ?

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I have this wood chipper that I bought several years ago, has a 15HP gas engine. I brought it out, changed the oil, choked it, turned on the gas, and it started on the first pull. I open the choke, it runs a little and quits. Try starting it, nothing. close choke, it starts right up WTF? I think, OK, ethanol, maybe theres gunk in the carb. Pull the bowl and its empty, and no gunk. Put it back, close the choke, starts right up.

Now I am really confused. Then I take a closer look since I have not run this chipper for well over a year and forgot.

The MORONS put the wrong label, OR flipped the controls. The choke is the top, the fuel valve the bottom, but the label is the opposite!! It wasn't the choke I was closing, it was the fuel cutoff! DOH!

58Ford

Equipment
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
@fried1765

The original HUH was better at identifying your confusion.

I and others commented on a suggestion for a different outcome. You only provided reasons on why it won’t work; too far to travel, no receipt, nobody hands a $60 product back etc. When you stop listing all the reasons for a likely negative experience and start considering other possible positive outcomes you might actually discover more pleasant experiences. You know.., kinda like the old glass, half full vs half empty!

It doesn’t come naturally to all but give it a shot!
For instance, I do return things that I find that do not belong to me, Costco will reprint your receipt, (that’s a fact) the opportunity cost for you to return was too high at $29.99, whereas for me it is certainly worth the effort - yes at $30.

We obviously look at this same problem very differently. All I am saying is - remove your negativity (if you can) and give my way a shot. Or not. It’s all on you mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I’ll go out of my way to track down and return things found if at all possible. Others have also reciprocated the same to me.

A number of years ago while working at a remote rural substation in northern Minn. we finished up our work around noon, loaded up our equipment after lunch and were off to the next substation. Down the road a few miles I noticed my checkbook with CC’s was not in my work shirt pocket. We stopped and searched the work vehicle, drove back and searched around the substation but found nothing.

I surmised the checkbook must’ve fallen out and caught up on the work vehicle somewhere and was now along the roadside or in the ditch. Dang! My co-worker said we better stop so I could call the bank and CC companies to report everything. I said we’ll be back home in a couple of days; I’ll do it then. Not to worry. If it’s in the ditch it’ll disintegrate or get chopped up anyway. Chances are if somebody up here finds it (they all depend on each other) I’ll get a call or have a note in the mail when we return home.

Two days later, we’re back home and waiting in my mailbox was a packet with checkbook, credit cards, etc. and a nice note. The person had found it along the side of the road just minutes after we had gone and went straight to the local post office to mail it back to me since they thought I’d sure like to have it back as soon as possible. His wife had spotted it.

I sent them a nice thank you note and a $20 bill for pie and coffee on me! I also told him how I thought it must have been lost and what would happen. If he didn't mind, could he send me a quick note back. He did. He said I was spot on with ALL my thoughts! :ROFLMAO:

Maybe doing the right thing is a rare occurrence around the big cities, but not around here……thankfully!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I’ll go out of my way to track down and return things found if at all possible. Others have also reciprocated the same to me.

A number of years ago while working at a remote rural substation in northern Minn. we finished up our work around noon, loaded up our equipment after lunch and were off to the next substation. Down the road a few miles I noticed my checkbook with CC’s was not in my work shirt pocket. We stopped and searched the work vehicle, drove back and searched around the substation but found nothing.

I surmised the checkbook must’ve fallen out and caught up on the work vehicle somewhere and was now along the roadside or in the ditch. Dang! My co-worker said we better stop so I could call the bank and CC companies to report everything. I said we’ll be back home in a couple of days; I’ll do it then. Not to worry. If it’s in the ditch it’ll disintegrate or get chopped up anyway. Chances are if somebody up here finds it (they all depend on each other) I’ll get a call or have a note in the mail when we return home.

Two days later, we’re back home and waiting in my mailbox was a packet with checkbook, credit cards, etc. and a nice note. The person had found it along the side of the road just minutes after we had gone and went straight to the local post office to mail it back to me since they thought I’d sure like to have it back as soon as possible. His wife had spotted it.

I sent them a nice thank you note and a $20 bill for pie and coffee on me! I also told him how I thought it must have been lost and what would happen. If he didn't mind, could he send me a quick note back. He did. He said I was spot on with ALL my thoughts! :ROFLMAO:

Maybe doing the right thing is a rare occurrence around the big cities, but not around here……thankfully!
Although in a past life I was ripped off by the best of them(until I learned better), I still believe that most people are good people...my experience resulted from the way I lived when traveling the world for a year and a half, as a young (22/23) poor traveler, I used to find myself among the dregs rather than normal people...

MOST people are good people...took me a while to realize that...

So yes, now if I forget something somewhere I WILL call and see if it is turned in...MOST people ARE good people...