options

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Can't afford the $$$ for a grabber and it's installation for my L3800. Was considering getting a set of forks from Northern tool at around $370 or so. Anyone use forks to pick up tree branches and stuff around their property?. That is basically what I want them for. One pile is too close to some rich guy's concrete wall and he made bones about scorching due to the fire. Course the pile was there long before he built his concrete wall around his property. Guess he's worried about zombies. Frank

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Plenty of guys on here have made a set of brush forks out of all sorts of left over scrap metal. I've seen angle iron and square stock used with multipal teeth. I dont think just two forks alone would work well if you have small limb clippings. They might fall inbetween the forks.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
However, if you do decide to get the forks from Northern, you could throw a pallet on them and toss all the small stuff on the pallet. That is what I do when picking up small branches, clippings, etc.. :D

Last time I was at Home Depot, one of their guys mentioned they had heavy duty plastic pallets they use. They suggested I talk with the manager about buying one for short money. It is worth a shot.

Guess you could also make your own forks as Eric suggested, and still use a pallet too.

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Frank46;90562 One pile is too close to some rich guy's concrete wall and he made bones about scorching due to the fire. Course the pile was there long before he built his concrete wall around his property.[/QUOTE said:
Did you start the fire or did it start some other way?

I am not sure how the laws are where you live but here is what I would do.
I did not start the fire and the pile is on my land. The pile was there before he built and I do not have any need to move it but I would be willing to move the pile for whatever the cost of a grapple for my tractor would be as I do not have a grapple or the money to buy one. If he does not like this solution, I would tell him that I spoke with someone that can do it but that it will have to be done when they have time. Then sit back and wait for mother nature to handle it for you.

dmignogno

Equipment
BX25D, Woods RB60 Backblade, loader forks, BX42S Chipper
Aug 5, 2013
Lincoln, DE
I have a set of forks on my BX25D. I use them to move tree branches all the time works great.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I move brush with my forks all the time. Eric is right about the short stuff falling thru though. If I have little stuff I'll pick up some long limbs and then pile on the short. Works good for me. I don't know why I waited so long to buy forks, they are worth every penny.

Attachments

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Frank, you should get the forks that make you happy and will do all the other tasks you anticipate doing. You should also set the brush pile on fire and toss in a bunch of tires for amusement, grab a beer, and watch it burn.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I have a set of Rankin clamp on forks that I bought off of CL for about $150 if I remember right. They are incredibly useful, all kinds of jobs, not just pallets.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I move brush with my forks all the time. Eric is right about the short stuff falling thru though. If I have little stuff I'll pick up some long limbs and then pile on the short. Works good for me. I don't know why I waited so long to buy forks, they are worth every penny.
Bulldog,

That is some serious brush moving that you are doing there !!! :D

Attachments

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I suspect the forks discussed for a couple hundred bucks aren't worth buying, especially if you include S&H charges.

The absolute best cash-n-carry price I've ever seen is $500 for a set of new quick-tach skidloader type adjustable forks with a little brush guard and 48-inch FORGED forks. Note I shop hard to save every buck I can.

If you get welded forks you'll find out fast they're not worth having. Most times you can't stab a pallet, the forks are too thick, they bend too easily, and they're weak at the tip (like when you're pushing, dragging, or positioning a pallet).

Forged forks have a heat treatment tracking number stamped on them. Especially required if used commercially under OSHA.

Look around your area for eqpt wholesalers or contractors shucking equipment; used forks can be found.

NEVER cut or grind or weld on FORGED fork tines.

To your original question: forks are just right for managing brush piles if you're careful and don't dig trenches with them. With a little experience you can flip a brush pile ahead of you as you slowly ease along.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
I use a pair of clamp on forks I found on eBay for 149 w free shipping made by Titan. I use them often and used them several times to move brush/limbs. I too use a pallet to place the limbs on and carry them to their final resting place. I think a purpose built fork attachment would be better because you'd get better lift capacity but mine moves all that I have tried thus far.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Bulldog,

That is some serious brush moving that you are doing there !!! :D
That pic really doesn't do it justice either. The pile was about 25' wide and was really to much for me to handle but it was locked together and the tractor had enough traction to keep it moving so I just let the Bota eat. :D

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I hardly think that 48" forged forks are necessary for a tractor of the OP's size and lift capacity. Lots of us have inexpensive welded clamp on forks and would disagree that they are not worth buying.

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
You had me laughing about the fire. Before what's his face bought the property I used to pile everything in the same spot and use a little fuel to enhance the burn. Sat there on my chair, with a cold one and hose if things go a little energetic. Show you how smart he was that prefabricated concrete wall cost him over 50K and cause some of the panels broke he had to put up about 100' of chain link fence. Best part is when the bayou floods his fence traps all the junk and my place is clear. And to top it off he had his place laser leveled and he actually asked my wife if I would do the same. HAH, there is close to 8' height difference where he stuck his building. Sometimes I wonder where he was when the brains was given out. Frank

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
trouble11, looked at them but still would need the chain binders. The ones at Northern Freight have the clamps on them. Thanks for looking for me. Frank