One more reason to go fishing

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, I read thru most of that article. Those folks get too much money to study things that will eventually take care of themselves.

They have determined:

"How are earthworms affecting forest ecosystems that evolved without them?

At the top soil layer, earthworms convert fallen leaves to humus. That’s a good thing if you’re growing a garden, but, in a natural forest, it causes a fast-tracking of the release of nutrients instead of allowing the leaf litter to break down more slowly, as it would without the earthworms.

Also, as they burrow through the ground, earthworms disrupt the mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship between fungi and plants. Some deep-burrowing worm species change the pH of upper soil layers by mixing in alkaline soil from deeper in the ground.

Burrows carved out by earthworms also speed up the drainage of rainwater, drying the soil faster."

We'd all be better off without the internet. It just gives these folks a method to express their.....

I had a friend who was kind of crude, but plain. He expressed it like this, "Sh-t fire and save matches!" when a discussion like this was brought up.

Skeets, are you on their mailing list?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Anything is a good reason to go fishing! Especially a beautiful day...:)

That article is not very good science, they have abserved an association not necessarily a cause. I had heard this some time ago, and hadn't realized that most of the earthworms we are happy to have in our gardens are non-native species. For whatever reason a loss of diversity is not usually a good thing for all species, but also not easily fixed. Most of the time we are doing that to suit ourselves: monocultures of lawn and fields of corn come to mind.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I agree sheepfarmer the worst day fishing is better than the best day at work ,, lol
And no Cat I'm not :D
I stumbled across it in one of my forays in to the nether regions of the internet and thought somebody might get a chuckle out of it like I did