"OMG" My Poor Little B7100

KJINTF

Equipment
B7100 & ZD326
May 7, 2011
Western Montana
Today is NOT a good day :mad:

This morning my computer hard drive died - last full data back up was 6 months ago - Even though I can repair it myself it's yet another thing for my list of To Do Items

NOW the REALLY bad news
Looking for help / suggestions from others that have been here with their tractors

My wonderful little 1993 B7100HST tractor is BROKEN!
6 Months ago I replaced the housing around the front drive shaft expecting that would be the end of it for another 20 years - NOT :mad:

Got the tractor up on the hoist and found the root of the problem
The rear mount (which is welded to the frame) for the front axle has cracked off the frame a nice large crack all the way across the under side
Guess that explains why the front end wobbled so much in the last few months. Good thing I just upgraded my Gas and Arc welding supplies

Do I have to pull the engine to get the front axle assembly off the poor little thing?

Looks like 3/8" steel plate that held the axle on - has anyone welded it with success. Thinking I might have to cut it off the frame rebuild the mount and weld it back

I have loads of pictures but as stated today is not a good day
My primary computer died this morning - Yet another thing to repair

Will try with another computer to post a few pictures this evening or tomorrow

Sure would appreciate some helpful suggestions
Lets not go here - NO I do not want to buy a new tractor
I like the little thing

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
I would like to see a picture of the broken part. It must have been wobbling a lot to break the tin housing and boot on the drive shaft cover. I am glad you got to the bottom of it.

Do you have a parts break down of your tractor? That should help you decide what needs to come off. If you need one, I can copy the page out of mine.

John

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
If that is 3/8" or the metric equivalent steel plate, I would grind the paint off and grind a vee in both sides (if possible) before welding with a rod that has good penetration.

Check your welds and redo any that look suspect, you don't want to do this again next year.

Just out of curiosity, have you priced a new part from Kubota? You might be suprised, it could be worth buying new parts instead of trying to fix the old one.

Robert

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
If it were me, I would want to weld that broken mount from both sides to assure a good repair. But I don't like to weld overhead that much, even with a mig. If you weld only from underneath and you leave even a little of the crack on the top side that the weld does not penetrate the remaining crack will propagate back through the part/repair. Make sure the mount is clamped/braced in the proper position and tack several locations so it does not move from heat/expansion as it is welded.
I'd repair the tube by cutting a section out so I could weld in a splice with clean square ends (tapered a little to get good weld through to the inside). But that's just me.

KJINTF

Equipment
B7100 & ZD326
May 7, 2011
Western Montana
Thanks for the help
Yes indeed clean and properly weld both sides for a long term repair
Will not be my first welding job and I am sure not the last
New part, maybe? - As you can see the old one is welded to the front frame member not sure if they supply th eparts or not - will check

Question
Do I have to remove the engine to get the front axle off?
Looks like the back end of the axle suspension bolt butts right against the oil pan and no way to get the oil pan out without removing the engiine
Is it difficult task to remove the engine?

Last edited:

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Couple more pictures to better see the crack and mounting assembly
I may have missed the plot here but I just took a look at my B7100 and it looks as if the front of the tractor was slung at the bell housing, the rad was removed or maybe just the hoses,then remove the 8 bolts on either side plate which screw into the engine the front of the tractor complete with engine should hoist clear of the axle plus frame and leave it sitting on the floor.The usual blocking for safety of course!!
Dave

KJINTF

Equipment
B7100 & ZD326
May 7, 2011
Western Montana
Thanks for the help
Looks like the entire "Support Front Wheel" assembly #66704-51210
Will do the job for me - no need to get the welder out
Looks as if the assembly bolts onto the main tractor frame

Has anyone replaced this assembly?

Any pointers for me?

Regards
Ken

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Thanks for the help
Looks like the entire "Support Front Wheel" assembly #66704-51210
Will do the job for me - no need to get the welder out
Looks as if the assembly bolts onto the main tractor frame

Has anyone replaced this assembly?

Any pointers for me?

Regards
Ken
For what that part is going to cost i would be warming up my welder:D
dave

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If it has to be removed anyways, then I'd do the same thing- repair the part, and it will probably be stronger than the new one.
Unless the bores are worn- perhaps having the new one will tighten things up, making it worth it.

beemer530

Equipment
85 B8200 HST 4WD w/ BF300 loader, box scraper w/rippers, Rhino brush hog
Jul 12, 2011
Maricopa, AZ
The way my B8200hst splits the motor is left attached to the bell housing (supported of course ), while the 16 bolts are removed from the sides of the block to slide the whole front drive forward after disconecting the steering link. I also had to remove the FEL and its mounting frame first.
Look under separation in your manuel and feel free to ask if you want clarification or more info.

Beemer

Attachments

Last edited:

KJINTF

Equipment
B7100 & ZD326
May 7, 2011
Western Montana
Thanks Dave
I checked it out $350.00 delivered
Not hardly worth the effort to try and weld the thing
Now all I have to do is remove the engine and all of the front parts
Bolt on the new parts and cross my fingers for another 20 years of service
Not sure why the thing cracked where it did
and have not heard anyone else with a similar problem
O' well life goes on
Time to go fishing right now

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Can't help with the repair but I'm all for the fishing part. I have fished the Madison, Beaverhead, Rock Creek and other spots in your gorgeous state. What a place. I yearn to get back there someday. Sounds like we have more than Kubotas in common.

KJINTF

Equipment
B7100 & ZD326
May 7, 2011
Western Montana
The fishing was great

Thompson River, Clark Fork river this time since they are 2 miles from the property. Looks like your rivers are the SW area really nice down there we are up in the NW area nice here as well. Ever been to Koocanusa it's wonderful however the fishing is liimited to 50 per day tasty land locked salmon

Now back to the poor little broken machine
Hope to get the front end removed today or tomorrow

Ken

Attachments

KJINTF

Equipment
B7100 & ZD326
May 7, 2011
Western Montana
Hi again

One more question, a few comments and more pictures of my disaster
I never did get an answer regarding my question if I needed to remove the engine to get to the broken part
Figuired out you do NOT have to remove the engine
It was actually very easy getting the frame member off the tractor
Check out the pictures
Question??????????
How much play should that shaft have in the mount?
It wobbles a bit more than I would expect
Looks to me like a new part rather than a weld job - Darn I was looking forward to getting back into welding stuff

Enjoy your day
I sure have been it great to wrench on stuff once in a while

Ken

Attachments

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Is the bore for the bolt worn or is the bolt itself worn or both, If it were mine I would weld the part then if the bore was too worn I would either ream it out and tac weld a bushing in place and if the bolt showed any sign of wear I would probably replace the bolt. Weld it up and add some fish plates to strengthen it and save the $350 for some other items on your tractor wish/need list.

KJINTF

Equipment
B7100 & ZD326
May 7, 2011
Western Montana
Thanks
Both are worn plus the bushings inside the axle itself are shot
The little thing only has 860hrs on it 100% my back side in the saddle
I guess I was remiss in the TLC the little thing needed
Cleaned up the broken part and looks as if it's not worth repairing
Both bolt end and hole in the broken part are worn and show signs of heat / stress related issues
Right now my thoughts are to pay the price buy a new part and be done with it.

Anyone want a slightly used B7100 front axle mount????
Otherwise it is recycle material at the Co dump

beemer530

Equipment
85 B8200 HST 4WD w/ BF300 loader, box scraper w/rippers, Rhino brush hog
Jul 12, 2011
Maricopa, AZ
Never would have thought that part would crack, but would expect it wear in the pivot pin holes. Glad at least the problem was found. You must have missed my post on not removing the engine.

beemer

KJINTF

Equipment
B7100 & ZD326
May 7, 2011
Western Montana
Thanks - beemer530
Yes I missed it because it was referencing a different model
Mine was similiar and the 8 bolts on either side with a transmission jack support under the oil pan worked just fine. That front axle assembly sure does weight a lot, I tried to lift it out of the way and gave up letting it just sit in place.

Attachments