Old B6100E clutch problem, help please.

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
I searched the archives and I didn't find a clear answer so I'll try asking for advice.
I'll get to the point. When the tractor is in gear it works like a champ. A slight growl in the tranny at times and a bit of a clunk when going from forward to reverse.
However it has developed a God awful howl when the clutch is depressed and the clutch does not release.
Now the throwout bearing is new. When the howl started I assumed that the bearing failed and took it out and had it changed out, but it made no difference in the tractor.
What could cause the clutch to not release? I tried adjusting the linkage and watched the movement of the forks from underneath and I get good movement of the forks and the bearing carrier.
Any help would be appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are you 100% sure you put the bearing in the right way?
A backwards bearing install will do exactly what your stating.
Did you replace the pilot bearing?

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
It's possible and I have seen this before that if you have enough travel to release the clutch. The disc could have rusted to the flywheel and still spinning the input shaft.

When replacing the throw out bearing did you get into the pressure plate and clutch?

Pat

ironpony

Equipment
B7100
Mar 4, 2016
Lancaster Ohio
mine has the same issue B7100, pilot bearing or the clutch is not "floating" on the trans shaft and is binding. Being you have done the throw out bearing, which means you split the tractor, I would lean towards the pilot bearing/bushing depending on year.

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
I had the throwout bearing pressed off and on at the local dealer's shop so it should be right.
Since the suggestions are a frozen clutch disk and a bad bearing I guess I need to split the beast again and tear that all out and go over it.
Will post what I find.
Thanks.

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
Well I split the tractor and took a look at the end of the transmission shaft. It was shiny and looked like it as rubbing something.
I look into the clutch to see if there was debris or something that could be causing the problem and saw nothing. Since I saw nothing and there should have been a bearing of some kind in there I pulled the clutch and flywheel for a better look.
Again I found nothing. I cleaned the end of the crank looking for the remains of a bearing and found no sign of any kind of bearing.
It usually takes a week to get parts here so I ordered the bearing for the engine and waited.
What came in that next week was a tiny sleeve of a copper colored metal with a hole in one side and a yellow plastic looking coating inside the sleeve.
I looked again at the crank to see if the remains of a brass or copper ring might be there and again found nothing.
The new bearing (or bushing?) slid into place with a few gentle taps of the ball peen hammer and I started putting it all back together again.
Once it was back together I started it up and tested the shifting and it worked great. I worked it a bit to be sure and it worked as good as ever.
Amazing what that tiny sleeve can do to the shifting.
I am still unsure though as to just what happened to the old bearing. There was no sign of it anywhere and I know the tractor worked fine for a year before this last month when it suddenly started to stick in gear.
Well I thank everyone for their help and hope all your problems are easier to figure out than mine.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Be thankful the new bushing pressed in and didn't FALL in! If that shaft flops around enough times you create a problem that is a challenge because where that bushing goes is the end of the crankshaft!

You did the right thing by separating the tractor again to find it.