OK, So I do not need a new tractor! But a excavator? Maybe...HELP!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
To shorten the story, I basically have grown tired of the 3PH backhoe on my B2910. Always worry about the stress on the transmission case, even with the factory heavy duty top link bracket installed. Would also like a bit more reach and a bit more power.

So I was thinking, why not buy a new L2501 with a subframe mounted backhoe, and sell my 3PH backhoe? Naturally I would keep the B2910 as it has rear remotes and other modifications I like. AND even at 18 years old it is a good worker. BUT the backhoe on the L2501 is about the same size as the one I have now.

I think I may have come to my senses and figured out what I really want/need (really want, no real need) is a more than the backhoe on a L2501 offers. AND I also realized I do not really need a third tractor.

This lead to considering the purchase of a used mini excavator if I can find one that works for me, price wise and condition wise.

Residential use only. NOT a business. Will make the same amount of money with the new to me equipment as I do now: nothing!

Is my thinking on target, or am i deranged?

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I know a mini-ex is often recommended by others here with more experience.

My experience is limited to couple used by contractors at my own house. For their size, their capabilities seem awesome to me.

I’ve never operated any, but have been around larger excavators regularly for many years. The little ones seem as capable as a commercial TLB.

For what it’s worth, I noticed an auction today that has several excavators large and small selling 12/12 in the Binghamton, NY area.

Can watch it on line just for giggles, and maybe get an idea of what the market bears. I often watch their auctions as a guest without bidding privileges, or set yourself up with privilege if deemed prudent:

www.Manasseauctions.com

Last edited:

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
A friend rented (guessing 6 ton excavator) pretty reasonable $800 for the week... it had awesome power and he finish what he needed done with 3 days left so he brought it over to my place and I went to town with it!!!

I know you said "want more than need" but wouldn't renting with insurance make a little more sense (dollars and cents)?

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
A friend rented (guessing 6 ton excavator) pretty reasonable $800 for the week... it had awesome power and he finish what he needed done with 3 days left so he brought it over to my place and I went to town with it!!!

I know you said "want more than need" but wouldn't renting with insurance make a little more sense (dollars and cents)?
The rent vs buy debate does not work for me as I never have big jobs to accomplish, just small ones that come up at different times, at different frequencies. Thinking about what I have accomplished with my tractor‘s backhoe over the years has convinced me that for my use owning rather than renting is a big win in my case.

I do understand your point for sure. Appreciate the thoughts!

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I know a mini-ex is often recommended by others here with more experience.

My experience is limited to couple used by contractors at my own house. For their size, their capabilities seem awesome to me.

I’ve never operated any, but have been around larger excavators regularly for many years. The little ones seem as capable as a commercial TLB.

For what it’s worth, I noticed an auction today that has several excavators large and small selling 12/12 in the Binghamton, NY area.

Can watch it on line just for giggles, and maybe get an idea of what the market bears. I often watch their auctions as a guest without bidding privileges, or set yourself up with privilege if deemed prudent:

www.Manasseauctions.com
Thanks RCW, I will take a look.

I would only buy something local that I could check out and be sure it is a safe purchase. Perhaps old fashioned...

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
To shorten the story, I basically have grown tired of the 3PH backhoe on my B2910. Always worry about the stress on the transmission case, even with the factory heavy duty top link bracket installed. Would also like a bit more reach and a bit more power.

So I was thinking, why not buy a new L2501 with a subframe mounted backhoe, and sell my 3PH backhoe? Naturally I would keep the B2910 as it has rear remotes and other modifications I like. AND even at 18 years old it is a good worker. BUT the backhoe on the L2501 is about the same size as the one I have now.

I think I may have come to my senses and figured out what I really want/need (really want, no real need) is a more than the backhoe on a L2501 offers. AND I also realized I do not really need a third tractor.

This lead to considering the purchase of a used mini excavator if I can find one that works for me, price wise and condition wise.

Residential use only. NOT a business. Will make the same amount of money with the new to me equipment as I do now: nothing!

Hi There, A big auction coming up in Uniontown, Pa. Go to: Auctiontime.com I am in Pittsburgh and have bid on many items. Equipment always seem to sell for too much money. By mistake I bid online and came close to owning a corn planter last auction . Exciting!

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hi There, A big auction coming up in Uniontown, Pa. Go to: Auctiontime.com I am in Pittsburgh and have bid on many items. Equipment always seem to sell for too much money. By mistake I bid online and came close to owning a corn planter last auction . Exciting!

Interesting. I too am a registered bidder on that site and I have bid on equipment in the past but I set a limit as to what I'll pay and when the price exceeds that, I'm done. Seems as though the price always exceeds what I feel an item is worth.

Last spring I bid on a Kuhn Gyro Rake with the Masterdrive gearbox. it was in good, used condition. Set my top limit at 10 grand. Final bid was 13. I can buy a new one for 15 (and did). Why buy used, have to pay for freight and no warranty. I don't do that. Bought new had it delivered no charge and got the Kuhn warranty.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Guy down the road from me just bought a used Takuchi (think thats correct) mini excavator with 2 buckets and a thumb in pretty good condition (bushings are sloppy and I'll be machining him a set this spring) for 9 grand, delivered. Nice machine and will run circles around any 3 point BH made, Kubota or otherwise.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Buy a mini-ex ! You already have enough tractors so adding a mini-ex makes sense. I borrowed a friend's Kub mini 4-5 years ago, moved a LOT of dirt with it a LOT faster than my BX23s does, though that's all a miniex does..move dirt. It's a far better 'tool' to dig weeping tile, trenching, stump removal than a TLB as it''s easier to get into the right spot,faster.
I bought my BX23s as I wanted a 'compromise' or 'jack-of-all-trades' machine to use here. It's done a fantastic job BUT for any seriousexcavating, I'd borrow a miniex.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would rent a mini excavator for a couple of days and try it out and see if you like it before deciding to go that route unless you already have experience using one. Another option would be to buy a B26 or L47. They are dedicated backhoe tractors that are much more rugged setups and better seat/control layout for using the backhoe.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
For the purpose of digging, a mini-ex is far superior to any backhoe. They have power and incredible maneuverability. The smaller ones can still be transported behind a pickup. Kubota is the gold standard for mini-ex machines, in my opinion. A friend just bought a brand new KX-040; I've run a KX-057, and a family member has the big one, a KX-080. All great machines. Full cab with heat / A/C is the way to go; no reason not to use a mini-ex in the rain or snow.

Geoz67

Equipment
L4300DT + mower & carry-all; U17-3 + a couple of buckets
Aug 8, 2020
Australia
I have a Kubota U17 and it's amazing how many jobs that machine can do around our farm. I have no idea how we would keep on top of things without it. I bought it used and it appears a simple enough piece of equipment to keep in working order as long as the maintenance is done property. Sometimes a bit more power would be great (we have massive rocks buried int he ground) but I can load the U17 on a twin axle trailer and drive it around when I have to.

And of course it's the right colour, too. :)

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I put somewhere around 50 hours using my BH92 on my property in the last 4 months. So far it is exactly what I want. I’m limited and much slower than a mini but, I’m ok with that as I’m nearing retirement and only working selective jobs. If I was 20 years younger I would have a mini and CTL for sure - now I just pass on those jobs.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I put somewhere around 50 hours using my BH92 on my property in the last 4 months. So far it is exactly what I want. I’m limited and much slower than a mini but, I’m ok with that as I’m nearing retirement and only working selective jobs. If I was 20 years younger I would have a mini and CTL for sure - now I just pass on those jobs.
I guess if I pursue this thought to completion I will have to keep in mind that I am 20 years younger today than I will be in 20 years! LOL

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
As a former owner of 2 different Kubota tractors with backhoe attachment I'll say go with a mini. I was fine with a backhoe because I didn't know any better.

I changed jobs and operated a bigger excavator for a year. After that I hated my backhoe. As soon as I found a mini in my price range I bought it and sold my backhoe.

My advise would be to rent one and see if the size fits your needs and then start looking for something that will that fits both budget and work requirements. You'll never look back once you have one.

AltonaMan

Equipment
L2000DT, 4' rotary cutter, 72" finish mower, 4' TR3
Dec 4, 2020
Ontario
Funny, I'm coming from the opposite direction.

I had use of a KX161-3 for about a month last year and probably put 50+ hours on it pulling stumps mostly but also moving dirt, light grading etc and it was a beast! Super productive machine with plenty of power for anything I needed.

This year I've been using a B21 backhoe and by comparison it is painful!! I've been struggling to chip away at jobs for days using the little backhoe that the mini would have done in an hour for lack of power, traction and maneuverability.

If you can afford it, definitely go with the excavator. I'm saving my pennies for one myself 😂

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Just curious, but what kind of money are y'all talking about for a used mini ex. Looking locally, it appears the lowest is about $20K and it goes up from there. I saw a few lower, but they were rough and one was obviously a fake ad.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just curious, but what kind of money are y'all talking about for a used mini ex. Looking locally, it appears the lowest is about $20K and it goes up from there. I saw a few lower, but they were rough and one was obviously a fake ad.
My guess is in the $15 to $20K range. I have seen the obviously fake adds too. But have seen some apparently real local adds that are in that range. For something that looks in fair to better condition, and with life left in it.

In my case I would only buy local, after seeing in person and talking with the seller. AND probably paying most of the price AFTER it was on my property. Have to see what works out...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My guess is in the $15 to $20K range. I have seen the obviously fake adds too. But have seen some apparently real local adds that are in that range. For something that looks in fair to better condition, and with life left in it.

In my case I would only buy local, after seeing in person and talking with the seller. AND probably paying most of the price AFTER it was on my property. Have to see what works out...
Henro - I agree completely. My only intent with the earlier auction link was that there are several excavators selling, and there's no obligation to watch on-line.

Wasn't suggesting a buying opportunity; more so an opportunity for some research/ reconnaissance.

I have no association with the sale, other than I do attend their sales in-person occasionally, at the cost of a coffee and one (or 2) hot dogs. :)

With COVID, I only watch on-line, and eat my hot dogs at home.....although more expensive, they taste better at the auction... :cool: