OK ... Here's a question for ya!

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I went out to use my B7500 this week after it had been sitting outside for about a month without being used. It started right up but died a couple minutes later. I ended up having to drain about a pint of water out of the fuel tank to get it running again.
Soooo ... the question is how could that much water get into the fuel from just sitting????
This summer in the Northeast has been cold and wet, so I can see some condensation getting in there but with a 5 gallon tank that was more than 3/4 full it doesn't seem like it could be that much. The factory cap was on and tight so I don't see that being a possibility either. The tractor had been run several times the last re-fuel so it doesn't seem like there could have been water in the fuel.
Anybody got any good ideas???

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I went out to use my B7500 this week after it had been sitting outside for about a month without being used. It started right up but died a couple minutes later. I ended up having to drain about a pint of water out of the fuel tank to get it running again.
Soooo ... the question is how could that much water get into the fuel from just sitting????
This summer in the Northeast has been cold and wet, so I can see some condensation getting in there but with a 5 gallon tank that was more than 3/4 full it doesn't seem like it could be that much. The factory cap was on and tight so I don't see that being a possibility either. The tractor had been run several times the last re-fuel so it doesn't seem like there could have been water in the fuel.
Anybody got any good ideas???
diesel fuel "oil"; like many light oils, is Hydroscipic as in it will attract moisture. Even out of the air. Also a half filled fuel tank in the right conditions will sweat like the insides of a tent cause of the temp differences inside and outside. This will also pull water into the fuel. Next time store wiht a FULL TANK.

Now with H20 in there you have chance as well for microbial growth. This will cause other issues.. sooooooo IMHO not only should you drain your tank completely but you need to add an extra inline fuel filter and keep extras with you. Then treat your fuel tank with Anti-microbial that is made for diesel fuel systems.

The inline filter will catch the dead microbe material cause it is a large item. That saves the OEM fuel filter; with its slightly smaller micron rating; compared to the inline one, to catch the smaller stuff it normaly helps catch. Easy, cheap and fast to change the inline one too compared to the OEM fuel filter.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Your fuel cap is likely vented and water will wick in through the cap, also condensation is a big deal especially with the biodiesel garbage that is mandated now.Biodiesel will absorb moisture out of the air let alone what condenses in the tank.
Throw a tarp over it as a minimum.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
....especially with the biodiesel garbage that is mandated now.Biodiesel will absorb moisture out of the air let alone what condenses in the tank.....
Honest Im not sure if plant based fuel oils are more hydroscopic than petroleum based. What you describe happens with petroleum diesel use fuel systems too though so dont think you can blame Bio-d. This is why water drains at the bottom of fuel filters existed DECADES before folk were using biodiesel/WVO/VO etc.

BTW Bio-D has a higher Cetane raiting than Petrol based Diesel.

Last edited:

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
The fuel filter was changed not long ago and there was no sign of microbial goo in it. I did add some Diesel 911 to get rid of any stray moisture and kill off any stray bugs that might be lurking.
I probably will top off the fuel tank, but I doubt it will take more than a couple of quarts.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
The fuel filter was changed not long ago and there was no sign of microbial goo in it. I did add some Diesel 911 to get rid of any stray moisture and kill off any stray bugs that might be lurking.
I probably will top off the fuel tank, but I doubt it will take more than a couple of quarts.
Diesel 911 as you say "gets ride of water" by breaking it up into small enough chunks for the engine to digest it. That and it has Anti-Microbial formulation. Since you knew how much water was in the tank I assume you did drain the tank already. If not... you still should.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Could there be a crack in the tank? That sounds like an incredible amount of water from condensing.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Could there be a crack in the tank? That sounds like an incredible amount of water from condensing.
That's what I thought also, but the B7500 has a filler neck that sticks up above the tank. It doesn't leak any fuel when filled all the way into the neck so I don't see how water could get in.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Any chance that there was already water mixed with fuel before you put it in your tractor ?
Maybe check your fuel container, and put some in a clear bottle or jug and see if it separates ?
Have you used the same can of fuel in any machine, and if so, does it have a problem with water in the fuel ?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Honest Im not sure if plant based fuel oils are more hydroscopic than petroleum based. What you describe happens with petroleum diesel use fuel systems too though so dont think you can blame Bio-d. This is why water drains at the bottom of fuel filters existed DECADES before folk were using biodiesel/WVO/VO etc.

BTW Bio-D has a higher Cetane raiting than Petrol based Diesel.
I hate to disagree with you but bio-diesel is more hygroscopic than diesel. Not to say diesel does not absorb water but biofuel is worse.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I'd replace the fuel cap and check for proper fit to the tank. Dents or debris on the rim can cause gaps that wick the moisture into the tank.