OK gear heads

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Something on my Chevy Truck has me a bit baffled,,, 16 Silverado, 1500, 5.3 4wd. Temp gauge shows it is running where it is suppose to ( 190/210f), and the resivor is where it should be cold and hot. Now the heater blows air that is pretty much outside air temp untill you get up around the 80 degree mark on the read out. Any ideas Im thinking thermostat but I have been wrong before

Reactions: 1 user

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I had a plugged heater core once.
Engine ran at correct temperature, just not much heat.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Yep, probably thermostat. Shouldn't open that soon. On all of my vehicles, I don't get any heat until I'm almost up to operating temp. If the t-stat isn't open, water isn't circulating, and if water isn't circulating the heater core doesn't get any heat.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Had a Dodge PU with a 318 that had a sticking coolant valve (the valve that controls how much hot water goes to the heater core) that had the same symptoms.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Another possibility to throw out there is a malfunctioning blend door actuator or a foreign object that is preventing the blend door from moving.

Reactions: 3 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Now the heater blows air that is pretty much outside air temp untill you get up around the 80 degree mark on the read out.
is this 80 degrees on the engine temp gauge or 80 degrees on the hvac controls?

newer vehicles will set a check engine light and P0126 or P0128 code if thermostat is stuck open/opens too soon/rubber seal on it deteriorated.

Last edited:

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Something on my Chevy Truck has me a bit baffled,,, 16 Silverado, 1500, 5.3 4wd. Temp gauge shows it is running where it is suppose to ( 190/210f), and the resivor is where it should be cold and hot. Now the heater blows air that is pretty much outside air temp untill you get up around the 80 degree mark on the read out. Any ideas Im thinking thermostat but I have been wrong before
It sounds like you have automatic HVAC. I am assuming that your engine is warmed up and you get no heat until you dial up past 80°F.
There are 3 sensors that control the heat or cold output.

In-car sensor: Located low in the dash. If this sensor is colder than your setpoint, it will boost the heat output. It could be cold outside, but the car interior is warm due to sun load. In this case, the sensor would cause the heat output to back off or actually provide cool air.

Sun Sensor: Usually located in the center of the dash. If high sun load is detected, this will cause the heat to back off. If dark outside, heat output will increase.

Ambient sensor: Located in front of the A/C condenser. If ambient is low, heat output will increase.

The combination of all 3 sensors is used to calculate the desired output air temperature. If you are running in AUTO, the blower speed and mode will automatically adjust to get the trucks interior temperature close to your setting.

I have been in high elevation areas where the sun is powerful, but ambient temperature is around freezing. At my setting (~70°F), the system will run in bi-level or even vent mode.

Some people with automatic HVAC confuse the temperature setpoint with the air outlet air temperature. The setting attempts to control the interior temperature. Outlet temperature, blower speed, and mode are automatically adjusted to achieve your setting.

It is possible that an ambient or in-car sensor open circuit could cause low heat output.

Disclaimer: I worked in automotive HVAC engineering for about 28 years.

Hope this helps.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Cars were better before cheap 'computers' came out ! heater had a CABLE attached to a LEVER, dial sad 'cold---hot'. EASY, Easy to fix....

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK so the T stat or a sensor. You have no idea how much I hate to take it to a stealer to get it looked at.
I guess Scotty is right!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well heres the deal, since I bought the truck I always run the cabin temp around 70 or so. According to the digital read out on the dial. And when the temps droped it would warm. Defrost floor and cabin nice air. Now as of the last week or 2, the air blowing in to the cabin is maybe a bit warmer that out side air but if so, not by much. Now adjusting the temp up one degree at a time , the system will not blow warm air untill it gets around 79 or 80 , again according to the digital read out on the control knob.
AC works like a champ. knock on wood, so I dont think it is in the mixing door, though maybe mice or a chipmunk got in somehow and did their thing. The engine comes up to temp fine, it has gotten to temp quickly since it was new. Now I just thought if the control is turned to max, it will blow hot air. So there is no inbetween so to speak. Either hot or cold, kind of like some girls I use to know

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This this Chebby ORANGE…??

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I would suspect the blend door motor…

Is it a dual zone system? (Can driver and passenger set their own temp?)

Could also be just a software issue, or less likely but still a possibility it could be the control module…

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Well heres the deal, since I bought the truck I always run the cabin temp around 70 or so. According to the digital read out on the dial. And when the temps droped it would warm. Defrost floor and cabin nice air. Now as of the last week or 2, the air blowing in to the cabin is maybe a bit warmer that out side air but if so, not by much. Now adjusting the temp up one degree at a time , the system will not blow warm air untill it gets around 79 or 80 , again according to the digital read out on the control knob.
AC works like a champ. knock on wood, so I dont think it is in the mixing door, though maybe mice or a chipmunk got in somehow and did their thing. The engine comes up to temp fine, it has gotten to temp quickly since it was new. Now I just thought if the control is turned to max, it will blow hot air. So there is no inbetween so to speak. Either hot or cold, kind of like some girls I use to know
What is the ambient temperature when you are noticing this?

What is the sun condition- sunny, dark, cloudy?

What is the temperature of the cabin? Is it (subjectively) colder or warmer than your desired setting?

Is your ambient temperature display on meter or screen correct or reasonable? Same sensor feeds ambient display and auto HVAC software.
The ambient and in-car sensors are thermistors. You can read the sensor resistance and convert it to a temperature, they are all the same.
The sun sensor is a photodiode. The signal changes with sun intensity. The sun sensor also feeds the auto headlights. Are they working OK?
I think most OEMs program a specific sensor value in case of a sensor failure. I know for ambient, a value of 50°F is used in that case. A bad sensor will most likely not show up by the check engine light, but a scan tool, like CONSULT, can find it.
First thing to do is check sensor connections. Sensors rarely fail, but open connections are common in the warranty data.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would suspect the blend door motor…

Is it a dual zone system? (Can driver and passenger set their own temp?)

Could also be just a software issue, or less likely but still a possibility it could be the control module…
Ford - guessing it is dual control.

Guessing same as my ‘17. My 2013 was too, although that was last year of the series. ‘14-‘17 were the same series.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks you guys, Dave I will have to check those parameters I was not aware of, and see if I can find a CONSULT scanner. Because it throws no code

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Thanks you guys, Dave I will have to check those parameters I was not aware of, and see if I can find a CONSULT scanner. Because it throws no code
Skeets,
First check the ambient and in car sensor electrical connections.
This scan tool should meet your needs. It can monitor the HVAC system.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
GM has has issues on the blend doors and their actuators. GF's acadia, constant battle with them. Constantly. Neighbors silveraydo, same issues