Oil seepage front axle hub

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't torque the bolts to get it to seal, it's an O-ring seal.

Thats a small seeping leak.

You either live with it or tear into it and replace the O-ring. ;)

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
I checked the axle housing for a vent. There isn't one. When I removed the fill plug I could hear a hiss as the positive air pressure escaped. I'm guessing the seepage will stop for now. Need to install a vent tube I suppose.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I checked the axle housing for a vent. There isn't one. When I removed the fill plug I could hear a hiss as the positive air pressure escaped. I'm guessing the seepage will stop for now. Need to install a vent tube I suppose.
NOPE, its a sealed system for a reason, you don't want it getting moist air into the system and condensing water, that will cause you more issues than a simple seeping leak. ;)

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Its funny I happened across this thread the other day, just browsing the forums. Then this weekend, I noticed a similar type of situation as the picture posted above on my right front axle hub. My tractor is brand spanking new though about 9 hours on it now, and its an L2501. When I noticed it, this thread popped into my head and I was like "well I be dang, look at that" So I compared the left and right. The left side was completely clean, right side showing potential seepage as the picture above shows, except my paint is still all new and shiny. I also noticed on closer inspection that the bolt heads on that side had the paint worked off of them, showing clear signs that someone torqued the bolts on it after it was painted. The other side - the good side- the paint is completely untouched in a manner you can tell the bolts have not been turned at all since it was painted. This is a brand new L2501 right off the lot. I don't know what to think about it.

Is it possible in final inspection or something in the factory that they noticed the seepage and torqued the bolts, thus scratch off the paint on the bolt heads? I cant imagine the dealer messed with that but who knows? I surely haven't put a wrench on those bolts. I looked at the parts breakdown and the L2501 is an O ring seal as well. I took a rag and whiped it all off really good so it looks 'brand new' again...Im gonna see if I notice more over time.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Its funny I happened across this thread the other day, just browsing the forums. Then this weekend, I noticed a similar type of situation as the picture posted above on my right front axle hub. My tractor is brand spanking new though about 9 hours on it now, and its an L2501. When I noticed it, this thread popped into my head and I was like "well I be dang, look at that" So I compared the left and right. The left side was completely clean, right side showing potential seepage as the picture above shows, except my paint is still all new and shiny. I also noticed on closer inspection that the bolt heads on that side had the paint worked off of them, showing clear signs that someone torqued the bolts on it after it was painted. The other side - the good side- the paint is completely untouched in a manner you can tell the bolts have not been turned at all since it was painted. This is a brand new L2501 right off the lot. I don't know what to think about it.

Is it possible in final inspection or something in the factory that they noticed the seepage and torqued the bolts, thus scratch off the paint on the bolt heads? I cant imagine the dealer messed with that but who knows? I surely haven't put a wrench on those bolts. I looked at the parts breakdown and the L2501 is an O ring seal as well. I took a rag and whiped it all off really good so it looks 'brand new' again...Im gonna see if I notice more over time.
Some models are shipped with one side not installed and a cap on the tube. Makes the front axle narrower for crating and shipping.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Some models are shipped with one side not installed and a cap on the tube. Makes the front axle narrower for crating and shipping.
Very informative. Perhaps that was the case. All 4 bolts on that hub show the same signs of being torqued after painted. Im hoping that the little lubricant I saw around the edges was just from install or something. Im going to just keep my eye on it. It would be wierd for the O ring to be leaking already unless it wasnt set just right. Its been 3 days and Ive not seen any signs of seepage since wiping it clean, but it may take more than a couple days to show. Thanks for that bit of info though, That would answer my question on that.