Oil Seal Replacement F2100

DandW2100

Equipment
Kubota F2100 Snow Blower
Apr 5, 2020
Novar, Ontario Canada
I have a leaking seal in the brake drum compartment of my F2100. It looks to me as if the seal can be removed and replaced without removing the entire shaft. I have attached a few pictures of what I am looking at. Any tricks or hints for doing this would be great...
Thanks
Dave

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes you can pull the seal out without going in any further, there is also a sleeve that the seal rides on that is replaceable, I would do both the seal and the sleeve at the same time.

If you can get under the outside edge you can pop it out, if you can use a short screw to grab the seal and use that to pull the seal out. ;)

DandW2100

Equipment
Kubota F2100 Snow Blower
Apr 5, 2020
Novar, Ontario Canada
Thanks, it looked that way but sometimes things aren't as they seem:)
I seen the sleeve on the parts diagram from Kubota but didn't think about changing it too. I will now... I will ad it to my parts list if the dealer replies to me. Pretty much everything is closed down up here due to the virus and it takes a long time for any business to respond and understandably so.

Thanks for all your posts you have been very helpful
Stay safe in these crazy times...

DandW2100

Equipment
Kubota F2100 Snow Blower
Apr 5, 2020
Novar, Ontario Canada
Yes you can pull the seal out without going in any further, there is also a sleeve that the seal rides on that is replaceable, I would do both the seal and the sleeve at the same time.

If you can get under the outside edge you can pop it out, if you can use a short screw to grab the seal and use that to pull the seal out. ;)
Do you know if the sleeve is difficult to get out ?
Any hints on putting the new seal and sleeve back in ?

With this virus and shortened hours it's difficult to get parts but the dealer seems to be working with me, although slower than normal. This would be a good time to get this done seeing as not much else to do. See what happens..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Once the seal is out you should be able to slide the sleeve off, might take a pick tool to get to the back side of it and pull it off.

Assembly is easy, install the sleeve on the seal noting which way the seal lip faces as not to tear it on install.
Then slide both onto the shaft and use a piece of PVC or ABS pipe that fits the seal edge and drive it in square.

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
I would suggest renting a seal puller from Autozone or whatever. It will make life much easier than trying to jerry-rig pulling it with the shaft in the way and in that recess. Or you could do what I did and just buy one off of Amazon for about $40.

As far as putting it back on, you need to take care in sliding it over the splines of the shaft so you don't tear the rubber seal of the new one. Push it in by hand, and I've found that using a 3/8" drive extention for a ratchet and a rubber mallet to lightly tap it into place uniformly works just fine. Light taps like you'd tighten a tire on lug nuts until you get to a flush fit or a uniform fit on the lip and you are good.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Here's a simple idea to keep from ruining a new seal on the shaft splines.

Cut some alum from a can, large enough so it will wrap around the shaft. Make sure there are no sharp edges on the alum, put some grease on the alum and start the seal gently over the end. Then slide it to the hub.

In this picture I used some slick cardboard I found in the barn (no clean cans available).

You can get this tool at O'Reilly or NAPA for $12 or so.

Attachments

DandW2100

Equipment
Kubota F2100 Snow Blower
Apr 5, 2020
Novar, Ontario Canada
Great...thanks for all the input. It might not be as bad as I originally thought. Might see if I can find one of those tools too, if they aren't crazy priced up here.
Now if I can ever get the parts I will be ready to give it a shot.

DandW2100

Equipment
Kubota F2100 Snow Blower
Apr 5, 2020
Novar, Ontario Canada
Once the seal is out you should be able to slide the sleeve off, might take a pick tool to get to the back side of it and pull it off.

Assembly is easy, install the sleeve on the seal noting which way the seal lip faces as not to tear it on install.
Then slide both onto the shaft and use a piece of PVC or ABS pipe that fits the seal edge and drive it in square.
Well...got the seal out but can get the sleeve to budge...seems to be really on there. Any suggestions ?

Attachments

DandW2100

Equipment
Kubota F2100 Snow Blower
Apr 5, 2020
Novar, Ontario Canada
Finally got out. It was kind of stuck, just had to get behind it like you said and out she came...thanks. Now I can put it back together and hope there are no leaks...fingers crossed :)