Oil Overfill

owitiw

Equipment
BX2380 , Kubota Front mount Commercial blower, Rear Blade, Tektite Cab
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario
I had my BX2380 in for a 50 hour service and the dealer added 1 quart too much oil to the oil change. They put in 5 quarts instead of 4 quarts. I ran the tractor blowing snow for 2 months without noticing the overfill till I checked the oil in January. Luckily we didn’t get much snow in January but I still used it to clean up small snowfalls. I understand that overfilling is not the best thing for the Rear Main Seal.

Attachments

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I had my BX2380 in for a 50 hour service and the dealer added 1 quart too much oil to the oil change. They put in 5 quarts instead of 4 quarts. I ran the tractor blowing snow for 2 months without noticing the overfill till I checked the oil in January. Luckily we didn’t get much snow in January but I still used it to clean up small snowfalls. I understand that overfilling is not the best thing for the Rear Main Seal.
Glad you caught it when you did. I would still bring it to their attention though in case you have any problems in the near future. Hopefully you have a decent dealer who will take responsibility and not just say you should have checked it when you got it back.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The rear seal shouldn’t be a problem...but oil foaming can occur from a thrashing crankshaft/camshaft depending on particular engine. That can lead to local overheating and lack of proper lubrication. Most manuals warn against it.
Oil extractors are an easy way to suck a quart out...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

so the guy that we will name "Dipstick" did not take time to look at the DIPSTICK?

A smidge over aint bad - but thats 25% more!!! As Geo said - air foaming can be a huge problem when too much oil is in there. Glad you found it!

owitiw

Equipment
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario
Glad you caught it when you did. I would still bring it to their attention though in case you have any problems in the near future. Hopefully you have a decent dealer who will take responsibility and not just say you should have checked it when you got it back.
Hello I pulled the dipstick and cleaned and checked it at least four times because I couldn’t believe my eyes with the amount of oil on the dipstick. I called the Dealer and their Service Manager told me that 1 extra quart of oil woul be no issue! His words exactly. He did send a technician to my house to drain some of the oil out and even the technician was surprised by the amount he had to drain out. After talking to the Service Manager and getting that comment about no issue I contacted Kubota Canada and spoke to a Representative there. I told him the oil was 2 1/2“ above the full mark on the dipstick. His comment was There is a reason why we have that full mark on the dipstick. I told him I wanted the overfill on my warranty record should I ever run into engine issues as a result of the oil overfill. I also wonder why nobody including the mechanic didn’t check the dipstick after filling with oil. When this happens you begin to wonder what else did they not do! I posted this because i hope nobody else runs into this with their tractors!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I hope that doesn’t come back to bite you....(the self reporting to Kubota.). I doubt they’d do anything to cover a Dealer’s service-error....
If you’ve operated for over 20-30 hours without metal in your oil filter and no other issues... You’re probably fine.

owitiw

Equipment
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario
I hope that doesn’t come back to bite you....(the self reporting to Kubota.). I doubt they’d do anything to cover a Dealer’s service-error....
If you’ve operated for over 20-30 hours without metal in your oil filter and no other issues... You’re probably fine.
Thanks I hope so! I was kind of between a rock and a hard spot. I still have warranty on the BX and I wasn’t too happy with the Service Managers response.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Honestly over filling the oil on a Kubota engine is not the worst thing you can do.
If it was a serious issue it would have caused a run away situation (where it sucks or forces oil and runs on it.
The bulk of the engine would love to run in oil all the time.