Oil not dirty

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Having never owned a diesel engine in my life (until now) all I'd ever heard is that diesels turn the oil black in no time. I bought my machine with about 860 hours on it. Previous owner(s) had always used Amsoil diesel oil in it. It was a bit dirty when I bought it and somewhat low due to a leaky drain plug. But otherwise great. When you shine a flashlight into the valve train everything on top is shiny clean not a hint of deposits to be seen or felt.
I'm a fan of Rotella T-6. So it's had 2 oil changes with T-6 since I have owned it (5W-40). It now has about 15 hours on the oil I put in last fall (almost winter). Pull the stick and it's clean as a whistle. Oil is crystal clear (well amber). Is this "normal" for these engines to run this "clean"? Frankly I am pretty amazed with it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Very normal and a good thing too.

Typically dirty oil is not a bad thing - huge difference between dirty and worn out oil.

Reactions: 6 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hokie is correct. A diesel oil may look dirty, but in fact it’s fine. More so with more modern synthetic motor oils.

As my father advised, a clean stick is always better than a dirty one….🤓

This is the stick from my 9 year old BX2360 with 460 hours. Rotella T6 5w-40 with 20 hours since last change. While darkened a little bit, it’s still quite clear and light. Picture doesn’t do it well.

I change oil about once a year. Usually amounts to 50-60 hours, but it could go much farther.

E9FFACBE-5599-460E-903B-B8B54EF1BCFD.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Glad to know. I guess at least the Amsoil did a good job with it. I know from past experience the T6 will do as well or better.

Reactions: 1 user

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
The biggest reason for diesel engine oil to turn black is the use of an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system in on-road diesel engines. With all the soot in diesel exhaust it turns the oil black in no time. Some HD Diesel engine oils (perhaps most, actually) are designed to deal with soot dispersion through additives packages.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
once it gets to the point where it's black, and from there on out it will black the oil quickly, you can pull the pan and clean out all of the junk in the bottom, and it'll clear right up again. Dunno what the stuff is but it's nasty, it makes a huge mess of your hands, fingers, parts cleaner solution, everything. But it disperses in the engine oil and blacks it up pretty quickly.

Don't know how many times people would bring their stuff in, ask us to change the oil & filter, and then they get it home & call us "you didn't change my oil it's black as tar!".....well it was changed, it just does that sometimes. Give them the option (and cost estimate) to pull the oil pan and clean it and they usually back out.

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
once it gets to the point where it's black, and from there on out it will black the oil quickly, you can pull the pan and clean out all of the junk in the bottom, and it'll clear right up again. Dunno what the stuff is but it's nasty, it makes a huge mess of your hands, fingers, parts cleaner solution, everything. But it disperses in the engine oil and blacks it up pretty quickly.

Don't know how many times people would bring their stuff in, ask us to change the oil & filter, and then they get it home & call us "you didn't change my oil it's black as tar!".....well it was changed, it just does that sometimes. Give them the option (and cost estimate) to pull the oil pan and clean it and they usually back out.
I took my GAS engined Ram pickup in to Pep Boys in Bedford, TX (when I was working DFW airport I had a crash pad in Bedford) and asked for their el-cheapo oil change. It was a regular exercise for me to let them do it since I wasn’t at my home.) They usually did the job and parked it out on the lot and paged me (I was usually in the store shopping). Almost always was a pleasant experience.
One time tho’ as I paid the bill and walked out to the truck …. I did my usual “pre-flight inspection” after someone else works on my stuff…. I checked that a new filter was installed, and I pulled the dipstick to be certain the correct amount was installed…. and to my surprise the oil was black, not fresh. There was no way that backing it out of the bay and parking it in the parking lot would have dirtied up that oil that quickly.
So I went back inside and told the service mgr that his worker must have gotten distracted or something because the filter was definitely new…but the oil was still the same old stuff I drove in with.
To my shock that young man walked out to my car…pulled the dipstick…looked intently at the black oil on it very closely…. then Wiped it with his finger and TASTED the black oil with his tongue!!! :eek:

I let him announce that the oil was indeed ”fresh oil” and tell me that it probably just took-on the color from the residual oil still in the engine. :rolleyes:

Rather than get into the discussion further, I thanked him, and drove my car home and did an oil change, and never went back to Pep Boys.

(I now have learned Pep Boys no longer sells parts or accys…. they ONLY perform service work.

They won’t be doing any on my stuff.

Reactions: 3 users

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Rather than get into the discussion further, I thanked him, and drove my car home and did an oil change, and never went back to Pep Boys.

And that my friend, is an excellent example of why I do my own work. Good for you not expending energy. The oil tasting is the best I ever heard! :D

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
The only diesel I've owned where the oil was not black after the first oil change has been the Isuzu. It was still virtually clear at the 50 hour oil change.

Blackest was on the 240D Benz that we kept into its 26th year. It had EGR. Not sure, but I think the Isuzu does not.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
My Ford 6.7 diesel turns the oil black instantly after an oil change and that is because of the emissions systems. Occasionally I send a sample to Blackstone Labs and it always tests good despite the color.

My wonderful Ford dealer changed my oil for free the first time, when I got home it was way over full. I took it back and they drained some out and said it was right in the middle of the hash marks. When I got home it was way over full, so I drained out 15-1/4 quarts out of the 13 quart engine. When I confronted them about it, they said that they always go by the Ford computer program which was wrong and any Ford dealer was overfilling for years. I still had a free oil change coming, but I couldn't afford it.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
My 60 year old John Deere 2020 diesel turns fresh engine oil black quickly. The 2016 Kubota, on the other hand, keeps the oil looking like new all the time. I changed it yesterday afternoon with 140 hours (one year) on the meter and the oil still looked really clean.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
when i worked at the kubota dealer I got a work order that said this:

tractor has a leak. customer says it doesn't taste like diesel or hydraulic juice

No lie. So I did a quick diagnosis to find that it had an engine oil leak. I knew the customer so I called him and got some more information and that is honestly, exactly what he told the SM. It doesn't taste like diesel and it doesn't taste like hydraulic juice. I asked him if it tasted more like engine oil and he paused and said he didn't know what engine juice tasted like.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My 60 year old John Deere 2020 diesel turns fresh engine oil black quickly.
Yeah, I learned my lesson buying a 76 John Deere 2030 years back from a guy that parked old tractors out by the highway and sold them. I checked the oil and it was clear. He cranked it for me, drove it around and I got on it and drove it around. It seemed OK. He hauled it to my house and unloaded it and said to me changing all the fluids would be a good idea. I was a bit confused as the oil was like new. I changed all the fluids anyway. Well, after checking the oil level a week later and seeing it "make oil", I realized clean oil in an old diesel tractor was a red flag. Coolant was getting in the oil. I kept it in the barn untouched the first year. The second year, I drained all the oil with coolant and ran the heck out of it and it hasn't leaked coolant in the oil since. Not sure why, but I now know not to buy an old tractor with clean oil. :LOL:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
^^^^

I am tempted to do this to my 26 yr. old L2350DT. No telling what the bottom of the oil pan looks like.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Having never owned a diesel engine in my life (until now) all I'd ever heard is that diesels turn the oil black in no time. I bought my machine with about 860 hours on it. Previous owner(s) had always used Amsoil diesel oil in it. It was a bit dirty when I bought it and somewhat low due to a leaky drain plug. But otherwise great. When you shine a flashlight into the valve train everything on top is shiny clean not a hint of deposits to be seen or felt.
I'm a fan of Rotella T-6. So it's had 2 oil changes with T-6 since I have owned it (5W-40). It now has about 15 hours on the oil I put in last fall (almost winter). Pull the stick and it's clean as a whistle. Oil is crystal clear (well amber). Is this "normal" for these engines to run this "clean"? Frankly I am pretty amazed with it.
Yes, but when you drain it, it will be black.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
If coolant was getting into oil, you would have a milkshake not nice clear oil
Nope, it never milkshaked, but it was coolant. Well, I'll just say, it was green and my radiator fluid had disappeared. :)

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Nope, it never milkshaked, but it was coolant. Well, I'll just say, it was green and my radiator fluid had disappeared. :)
Don't know how that's possible. Never saw an engine leak coolant into oil or oil into coolant without making a milk shake. Unless it's leaking in without running

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Diesels have been turning oil black before emissions were even a thing. Of tou have one that doesn't color the oil your lucky and the engine is pretty tight. It will eventually. Well unless you don't put any hours on it and change the oil all the time.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
If coolant was getting into oil, you would have a milkshake not nice clear oil
Not always. Depends a lot on the level. The coolant will sit on top, and unless it gets sucked into the oil pump, it will stay there.

Milkshake oil is proof of coolant in the oil.

Lack of milkshake does NOT prove there is no coolant in the oil.