Oil from dipstick B3200

MILESKellogs

Equipment
B3200 & GR2120
May 17, 2021
omaha
In the process of upgrading to an alternator on my B3200 I started the motor a few times with the dipstick tube in place but without the dipstick in. It was late so I called it a day. This morning I found small drops of oil that apparently had come from the top of the tube and dribbled downwards. The engine hadn't been run long (maybe 10 minutes total) and at idle or a bit above. I may have "juiced" it once or twice while running to check the charging rate. This was a bit alarming as for a gas engine this can be indicate a death warrant.
I google oil from dipstick tube on diesel engines and several claim that it is normal especially so on Kubota engines. That would be nice ;)
Confirming that here would make me relax the rest of the way. So, any inputs are appreciated
TIA
Tim

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As all those moving parts in a new engine or older engine will create a certain amount of pressure inside the crankcase - on an older engine the blow-by will have vapor of water and sometime oil residue mixed as it exits the crankcase vent tube, often leaving a oily trail on the tube. This would be true on all internal combustion engines.

I would expect the exact same on the dipstick tube - it would spit out vapors from the engine oil as well as any moisture that needed to be vaporized and forced out through the heating process of the oil.

I would place the "dipstick" back in - take a reading on the dipstick and add a bit of oil if necessary and roll on.

I did something similar back 40 years ago - added oil to my GF car - forgot to place the cap back on the rocker cover ......... 500 miles later the inner hood was covered in a nasty oily finish!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Look at your dipstick. My prior tractor (Mitsubishi) and my current tractor (Kubota) both had a decent rubber plug arrangement at the top of the dipstick tube when the dipstick was inserted. Based on that I tend to suspect a certain amount of oil coming out the dipstick hole is expected and the plug is supposed to hold it in.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
In most engines, the engine oil that is returning from doing it's job (crank, pistons, etc) is not really a liquid. It is not a gas. It is not, well, anything but a froth.

Crankshaft windage is a big deal, and is often dealt with by use of trays, baffles, etc on road cars and trucks.

Then you also have pulsing from having the pistons reciprocating, up and down. Rembmer there is air in the crankcase and when you open a "vent" (anything to relieve some of the crankcase air), what comes out isn't just air, it's also that oil froth mess.

If you aren't having hard starting issues or low compression or smoking issues, don't worry about it. I would consider it normal

MILESKellogs

Equipment
B3200 & GR2120
May 17, 2021
omaha
Thanks for the reassurances :) No other issues with the tractor so I'll do as suggested, put the stick back in and run it. 🍺

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
This was a bit alarming as for a gas engine this can be indicate a death warrant.
Death warrants by themselves are harmless. It's only after a death warrant is signed by the appropriate authority does it become worrisome.

• Haha