oil drip from muffler

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Before getting too concerned do a Goggle search for "diesel slobber."
Essentially the symptoms of not making a diesel engine work.
People who are new to diesel engines make the mistake of not working them hard. They need hard work to create high cylinder pressures which seats the rings in the cylinders.
Try and find ways to make her work. Pto generator, pulling heavy trailer for miles, blowing snow where you really load up the blower.
There have been posts by others with symptoms like yours and when you make the hard work suggestion to them they respond with statements like "I loaned my tractor to my neighbor to plow a field and when I got the tractor back it was running great until I used it in low load situations for a week or two and then the symptoms were back."
Of course there are other possibilities as other before me are alluding to but it is usually wise to consider the lack of hard work as it is the cheapest fix to try.

Dave M7040

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Found "diesel slobber tube" in my search.
So if you baby your engine it will slober.
Rev it up!
BXRay
Glad you learned about "slobber." Sounds like something a new baby does http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
The message is not just rev it up but bog it down.
If you are blowing snow and the engine rpm's start to drop, allow the engine to try and carry the load rather than immediately slowing down with an HST or selecting a lower gear. It is high cylinder pressures not high rpm's which keep the diesel in good shape. However, I agree that those who are babying their machines putt around at low rpm's and never force the engine to labor.
Dave M7040

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Condensation in muffler mixing with diesel exhaust makes a thin black liquid that drips out. Once a muffler get good and hot it usually stops.

Last edited:

Dhunt4work

Equipment
L3800DT
Dec 24, 2014
Roanoke, Indiana
I believe it is just some carbon? And condensation...I too have it under the muffler where I have let my L3800 idle. My barn is not heated and the black spot is iced over doesn't smell like oil either ...really no smell to it.

Attachments

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I believe it is just some carbon? And condensation...I too have it under the muffler where I have let my L3800 idle. My barn is not heated and the black spot is iced over doesn't smell like oil either ...really no smell to it.
ewww, that's gross! Glad I park my Kub outside on de lawn!

TKBOTA

Equipment
B6000 4x4 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
read up on diesel slobber, and it matches what I have exactly. most of my work has been using the bucket loader for loading wood. I idle when loading and unloading, would it be better to shutdown and restart?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
read up on diesel slobber, and it matches what I have exactly. most of my work has been using the bucket loader for loading wood. I idle when loading and unloading, would it be better to shutdown and restart?
Try idling it up just a little when sitting and see if it goes away. ;)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I agree with Wolfman. Especially during cold weather I'll keep my low idle at around 1200 - 1400 rpm's. That really helps to maintain some heat in the engine plus gives you a little boost in oil pressure.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Run it like you stole it,, It will surprise you how much better it will run

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
read up on diesel slobber, and it matches what I have exactly. most of my work has been using the bucket loader for loading wood. I idle when loading and unloading, would it be better to shutdown and restart?[/QUOTE
Glad you agree you have slobber. Not a nice thing to admit in high class company.....
A machine will always have times when it is not working hard, however the owner/operator needs to find ways to provide serious exercise to his machine if it is seeing a majority of light work.
Chain it to a big log and drag it around for a while to get the exhaust a little blacker indicating the engine is working hard.
Shutting down and restarting is unnecessary wear on the starter and charging system. A higher idle might be a small improvement over a low idle.
Dave M7040