Oil Change

Gecko76

Equipment
Kubota B2150 (1996) Front Loader
Jan 2, 2022
Setauket, NY
Hello from NY......I am on a "slippery slop"........ am doing an oil change at 650 hours on my B2150 4cyl Diesel and am confused. I have been using 10w30 regular.

1. Should I be using Regular OIL or SYNTHETIC OIL, seem recommended
2. Regular motor OIL or OIL designated for DIESEL Engines, confused as to benefit if any on small diesel

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Lots of oil threads here. Do a search and form your own conclusion. A lot of folks though like the Rotella T6 5W-40. But, hey, it's your machine

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Hopefully not your first oil change for this machine, Use diesel rated oil and change often what is best for your tractor.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Hello from NY......I am on a "slippery slop"........ am doing an oil change at 650 hours on my B2150 4cyl Diesel and am confused. I have been using 10w30 regular.

2. Regular motor OIL or OIL designated for DIESEL Engines, confused as to benefit if any on small diesel

Thanks
Apparently the Kubota 10W-30 diesel engine oil is a "semi-synthetic" whatever that means. So is the 10w-30 diesel oil I get from Canadian Tire. Minimum CJ-4 is the rating to look for.
NowI'm using 5W-40 Rotella T6 and I like it's performance, really cold starts and hot summer workouts both.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Whatever you use, it must be diesel engine rated, not general motor oil.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.

Thanks
good question which alot of new owners ask:

use diesel rated oil
synthetic, semi, or conventional are all OK. I would use synthetic for many reasons. When your tractor was made I would guess it came with diesel rated conventional oil.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Diesel oil. Definitely.
I always lean to synthetic. When it comes to full synthetic or semi, my question is always "are you going to change it because you hit the hours or miles?" Because if you'll be changing it annually even though you didn't put the hours/ miles on a machine, full syn isn't really going to do much over a semi.

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri

Thanks
I use full synthetic. I usually don’t hit the hours used mark. It’s more of an annual thing. Synthetic oil does not absorb moisture as much as “organic” oil or regular oil.
Just my 2 cents.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Let me break in down for you in layman terms -

Diesels are really bad at getting little particles past the rings and those particles get into the oil unlike gassers. SO what to do - diesel oils have the ability to contain this particles in such a way that they do not harm the bearings and whatnot. NON diesel oils DO NOT have this ability. SO ALWAYS use diesel oils on diesel engines.

And as for synthetics............ they are not any slicker than conventional oils, and they don't really cost a lot more these days either. WHAT they DO is this - they flow better in cold, much better in cold, the wear on a a engine is created when you turn your key - after it is running and warmed up.... very little wear occurs.

Another synthetic advantage - it does NOT break down as fast, the base of oils is higher and more refined making it a "better" overall oil. AS the old argument has been discussed here 6,341.37 times ......... why use synthetic if I change my oil every year or 50 hours???? WELL ...... it is like this, IF synthetic "last" longer, and works better in cold start up.... why NOT use it? Way too many tests have been run to prove that it will do the little things better than conventional oils.

But... your pocketbook and your machine - treat it how you see fit!

Reactions: 2 users