Off Road Diesel

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Since I use ~4 gallons of Diesel per day sawmlling and may not get home until late, I normally carry two 5 gallon cans with me. I also have four more 5 gallon cans at home all of which get the squirt of Biocide. There are occasions when the customer may run low on fuel in his tractor or loader, so having extra has it's advantages. On road trips, I buy whichever Diesel is available, the only difference being cost.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sorry, yes I got my additive mixed up. I absolutely intended to say: Biocide No Diesel anti-gel here.

Now yes I use red dyed off road diesel in both tractors as well as the sawmill. Because I do store ~30 gallons of fuel in 5 gallon cans at the farm that may or may not get used for a year, they get a squirt (1 teaspoon) of Biocide. I try to rotate my cans, but sometime stuff happens.
Which biocide? Do you intend to use a stabilizer? A lubrication-enhancer? A cetane improver? A water-emulsifier? A sexual-performance-extender? 🤓

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
With PA's $0.741/gal state tax, there is considerable savings using off-road fuel.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Which biocide? Do you intend to use a stabilizer? A lubrication-enhancer? A cetane improver? A water-emulsifier? A sexual-performance-extender?
Open your eyes "Sir GeoHorn" instead of your mouth. The word Biocide is red and is clearly a link to which product I use.

Even if it was some kind of poorly veiled joke, your "sexual-performance-extender" remark was out of order.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Magicman, you have to realize there are a couple of folks on this forum who have to comment on every thread. They are probably self quarantined, bored, and find commenting entertaining. When they don't have anything helpful to say, they say something anyway. Often times redundant, foolish or self serving. Just have to overlook it.

MFFI422

Equipment
BX2380 -Drive Over Mower Deck- LP Tiller - FEL - LP Box Blade - LP QH - Canopy
Jun 10, 2020
Arkansas
Magicman, you have to realize there are a couple of folks on this forum who have to comment on every thread. They are probably self quarantined, bored, and find commenting entertaining. When they don't have anything helpful to say, they say something anyway. Often times redundant, foolish or self serving. Just have to overlook it.
So being a new owner my question is this. Do most people use the "biocide" mentioned? What about the Mr Funnel I've read about? Thanks guys!

jmusits

Equipment
B2301, L434 Loader, B2673 w/ Hyd. Angle, EA 54" XTreme Duty Compact Box Blade
Mar 26, 2017
Greenfield Center, NY
So being a new owner my question is this. Do most people use the "biocide" mentioned? What about the Mr Funnel I've read about? Thanks guys!
I don't use a Biocide, the only additives I add are Powerservice (White in the Winter and Silver in the Summer).

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thank You D2Cat, I had surmised as much.

MFFI422, I started using the product that I linked to above after I saw a glob of black stuff sorta rolling around in the bottom of a Diesel can. As I mentioned, I have fuel at the farm that can be stored for a considerable length of time so this is cheap insurance. Another link to what I use: Biocide LINK

I only bought a 16oz. bottle because that's enough to "shock" treat 320 gallons and "maintenance" treat 880 gallons. That 16oz. bottle will last me a long time.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a Mr. Funnel sitting on the shelf in the shop I never use. If anyone wants it let me know. Don't care for it. One, it's messy because there is always fuel left in the bottom you have to pour out somewhere and it don't flow that much even though it's the big one.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I use the same product Magic uses. I believe several others do also.

In the last couple years here on OTT, there seemed to be many more complaints/problems with algae. I adopted it as S.O.P. year-round couple years ago.

I also use PowerService mentioned above year-round - White bottle =winter, Silver bottle =summer. I'm in upstate New York, we can range -20 to 95 degrees F in a year. (Had -20 to 68 F in 24 hours while back)

I have a Mr. Funnel. Seems okay, but little messy like Flip said. It does give me piece of mind keeping junk out of the tank though. With just a BX, I'm not going through a lot of fuel.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Open your eyes "Sir GeoHorn" instead of your mouth. The word Biocide is red and is clearly a link to which product I use.

Even if it was some kind of poorly veiled joke, your "sexual-performance-extender" remark was out of order.
Sorry.... I thought you might have a sense of humor... my mistake...(Click on this to see if it’s a link)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
MFFI422, I do own a bottle of biocide, but use it so infrequently I don't know the brand name. It's in a small bottle, I think I bought at NAPA. I put some in one tractor one time!

I have at least 6 diesel tractors and have never had a problem with a algae growth in fuel. It does seem more prevalent in the last few years from post on this forum. Might be caused by the changes in diesel formulation after sulfur content was changed.

Ask GeoHorn what brand he uses. I think that is what I bought after a discussion a year ago.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I use a biocide on a regular basis as I suffered the side effects of having contaminated fuel years ago.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
MFFI422, I do own a bottle of biocide, but use it so infrequently I don't know the brand name. It's in a small bottle, I think I bought at NAPA. I put some in one tractor one time!

I have at least 6 diesel tractors and have never had a problem with a algae growth in fuel. It does seem more prevalent in the last few years from post on this forum. Might be caused by the changes in diesel formulation after sulfur content was changed.

Ask GeoHorn what brand he uses. I think that is what I bought after a discussion a year ago.
BioBor JF
It’s FAA approved for jet aircraft and even DeptAg for organic farms.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All I can say is... You get the red slime one time and have to fix the fuel system, you'll use a biocide from then on out. Stuff eats up injection pumps, clogs filters and destroys fuel injectors.

been there and did that. I know the real deal.