Not another B vs. L Thread

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
I am in the same boat as far as trying to pick between these two tractors. I think its hard because of the rebates Kubota is offering on the 2501. I am leaning towards the 2650 after having demoed the 2501 and I thought it was just too big for my wooded property.
I think I have finally picked a side. Can't justify the sheer size of the L2501 and what that would due to logistics, whether in tight spaces, or on a trailer.

Everything I've heard about the B is positive. It appears to be plenty capable and rather comfortable while doing it. I'm excited!

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
Tell me about it, RCW. I picked up a Stihl MS251 a few months ago and the TS420 whooped me good today.

Just wish kubota would finance the $2k worth of Stihl tools I need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Wow, I knew members here were smart.....we are STIHL fans too!

The best things come in orange.

XSFMED18D

Equipment
Looking
Aug 17, 2016
Indy
I think I have finally picked a side. Can't justify the sheer size of the L2501 and what that would due to logistics, whether in tight spaces, or on a trailer.

Everything I've heard about the B is positive. It appears to be plenty capable and rather comfortable while doing it. I'm excited!
This is my reasoning as well. I am doing the 0% for 84 months and the price difference between the 2650 and 2501 after taxes and including KTAC is 10$/mo more for the 2650. Not a huge difference. The decision would be much easier if they applied the same rebates to the 2650 as they have to the L series.

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
The decision would be much easier if they applied the same rebates to the 2650 as they have to the L series.
Rumour has it the rebates are about to change. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the B to be on deck for the better incentives.

XSFMED18D

Equipment
Looking
Aug 17, 2016
Indy
I first started casually looking last fall and there was a 400$ rebate and a $1000 multi implement deal for the 2650. Hoping they bring that back.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow, I knew members here were smart.....we are STIHL fans too!

The best things come in orange.
YOU BET!!:D

I think we have a couple threads about the "other orange!"

I have a bunch........and was just looking at a MS-362 the other day. :p

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Rumour has it the rebates are about to change. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the B to be on deck for the better incentives.

Thanks for the tip!:)

I was looking at a B2601, but didn't like pricing, with my BX2360 as a trade.

Maybe I'll just wait to see what happens.

Have been considering going to an older farm/utility tractor with loader. Honestly, I might be able to find an older model with loader for less money than the mower deck and snowblower/subframe, and keep my little BX and its attachments! :D

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
Thanks for the tip!:)
Thankfully, I am about 60 days away from a purchase anyway, so I have no choice but to wait and see what happens.

I'm also in a finance only position for this piece of machinery, so out the window goes the used market pretty much.

I do feel that trying to shave dollars off a monthly payment is more headache than just skipping that starbucks once or twice a month and enjoying the tractor purchase.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I do feel that trying to shave dollars off a monthly payment is more headache than just skipping that starbucks once or twice a month and enjoying the tractor purchase.
True. Clean deal is always better.

Dealer is offering $10k for my tractor, but at MSRP for the new tractor and attachments. To me, means $7,500 for my tractor and $2,500 off list. New tractor price is $27,000 or so. $10k off is $166.70 per month, but still not happy with it.

Makes for more than a couple coffee visits (we don't have a Starbucks here within 30 miles).

Honestly, the capabilities of the B2601 over my BX don't warrant the $$$ ($17k OTD), but I had a good time looking!!

Using my BX2750D snowblower, just mower and snowblower subframe are ~$4,500. Mine work just fine...and with some homework, you can buy a pretty good tractor with loader for $5-7k at auction. Of course, there's a risk there, too.

I'm far enough away with the dollars, I'll keep drivng my BX, and look for another tractor to add to the stable!:)

Last edited:

demPho

Sep 5, 2016
Ocala, Florida
Makes for more than a couple coffee visits (we don't have a Starbucks here within 30 miles).

Honestly, the capabilities of the B2601 over my BX don't warrant the $$$ ($17k OTD), but I had a good time looking!!

I'm far enough away with the dollars, I'll keep drivng my BX, and look for another tractor to add to the stable!:)
By no means was I suggesting cutting my Starbucks budget would pay for my tractor. That would be grounds for an intervention I think lol.

The BX is a great machine. Honestly it's all I need. It's what attracted me to the CUTs over a zero turn. It'll be some time before I'm able to justify an additional tractor so I'm trying to bridge the gap a bit.

VictimOfCaliforniaDems

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3350
Jul 6, 2017
Northern CA CalifornUtopia USA
I know, I know. I've read through most of the like threads on this discussion and have picked up a bunch of good feedback. Most of the members asking about these two classes are in northern areas, or, rather, areas that actually have winter. I'm in central Florida, so snow moving and snowy conditions are nowhere near my list of considerations. I'm stuck between the L2501 HST and B2650 with 60" QA Bucket, Landpride finish mower and 6' box blade, both 4wd.

I'm closing on a 3 acre piece of flat land, all bahia grass with the exception of a couple trees which will stay. We own a residential construction company and will be building our own house, errrrr compound, in two phases. I want to obviously (finish) mow the 3 acres routinely as well as do my site prep and pad, build my 200' gravel drive, move lumber packages and building materials around, and generally maintain the job site during construction. We'll be doing light landscaping and average homeowner tasks after that. Not transporting or moving fire wood, rocks, hay, or anything like that. The "wife unit" will be doing most of the mowing. I'll be the ground guy and doing the loader work, so her level of comfort will be a consideration. I haven't had the chance to get her on them yet due to our schedules. That might make my decision for me.

I know the B will grant me a bit more maneuverability and spacial gains but will lose the bulk one expects out of a real tractor. Operating weight, loader capacity mainly.

Basically, I need somebody to tell me that I won't want the L. It will be my only mower, I don't want to tear up my yard, but I also don't want to need more tractor later. I will also need to be able to haul it in town with my 2015 Silverado 1500.

I'm trying to simplify the question. Physical size wise, the B2650 is all I NEED. Hell, all I NEED is a BX, but I know better. I do not want to regret my decision.

Is the L too big, heavy, aggressive for these tasks on this size property?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the novel!

First post, btw.
To Tempforce's point: If you need a cab w/ AC in Florida, get a B for sure. If you are picking up stuff, the L. From my experience (limited) the B's frame and lift is inferior, but if you don't need that, don't spend the money.

twentybelow

Aug 30, 2017
south central missouri
New member here. Figured I'd ask my question on this older thread rather than start yet another B vs. L dialog. :) I'm about to buy my first real tractor and am having the same dilemma posed by the OP. Price difference between the B2601 and the L2501 at my local dealer is minimal. As for my intended use, I want to dig some drainage lines to direct rainwater into my pond. I would also like to relocate some shrubs to another part of the property. I've currently got about 3 acres of pasture that gets mowed, and the "package deals" available on both kubota models come with tow-behind cutters, which I might even prefer to a MMM. I am also looking to buy another property with more acreage and build a tiny house on it next year. The wife says she wants the new place to have a basement, so considering all the above I figured on adding a backhoe to whatever machine I end up with. The soil here in the Ozarks is "chert"... very rocky and tough stuff to dig. I'd very much like to get some input from y'all on this forum before plunking down my hard-earned cash. Thanks in advance!

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I went with the B2650 because of the cab and size/footprint. Most of my heavy work is snow and moving a few buckets of dirt and gravel so didn't really need a bigger machine. If you are planning on digging a basement/foundation for a house, plus other tasks that come with building, you would probably benefit from a larger tractor.

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
My very old and wise farmer friend put it to me this way. He said, "I had a choice to buy a smaller versus a larger tractor 40 years ago. I elected to take the smaller tractor. My brother took the larger one. He still has his and I sold that first tractor to get a larger one."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8

I went with the L2501 and do not regret it at all. Even if you are considering mowing, I think the L2501 would be great without loaded tires and the loader removed. You mentioned digging, and I have to say, for a "home owner" oriented machine, I was extremely pleased with the BH77 backhoe. It is very useful, and could dig a small foundation for sure. Not to say the 2601 is not a great machine, but for my money, the l2501 made a much better backhoe machine. It does not feel big at all in tight areas, and has plenty of power for its size.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tunaslayer, you said, "I was extremely pleased with the BH77 backhoe."

The teeth or the outriggers have no paint missing, and no signs of mud/dirt. You're suppose to be using it, not storing it!:D

ToyFarm

Aug 9, 2017
Canada
Hello, your looking around the 26hp mark, I am currently looking into a b2601 due to the fact it has 26 engine and around 19 PTO hp. Still has hp, slightly less torque then the b2650 but weighs less which will leave a smaller foot print then the b2650. Would like to get the b2650 loader on the 2601. I am currently talking to my salesman to see if that is possible. Light weight, but capability is what I am after....

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
Haha. Had to document it when it was fresh. Has proven to be an excellent tool, and I have used it more than the loader. Definitely missing some paint now..couple issues I have had is one of the pins broke on the stabilizer. Dealer said it was a lack of grease, but with 2 hours on the machine, took care of it. Another weird issue was the control levers could not fully engage the spool because of their position in the cut out of the pedestal. Make sure you check that on delivery. Both minor, but annoying..