Noob What Model? (again I know)

KH1961

Dec 26, 2012
Fort Smith Area, AR
Huge thank you to all. While lurking I realized I needed a cab. I can't mow a residential lot with a push mower unless I take an antihistamine first.

Just bought a 10+ acre hay field where we will be building a house. May add 30'ish acres of hay.

So what is the smallest/oldest Orange marvel with HST that will handle hay operation on 10~40 acres? In addition to square bailer, mower, etc. for haying. I want a cab, FEL W/quick disconnect (w/pallet fork attachment) and Back Hoe.

Thanks for your time and patience. Happy New Year!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
IMHO I would look at a M series tractor at least 50hp. You will loose the HST but have alot more tractor to work with. If you are planning to do 30-40 acres in hay something along the lines of a M6800 would be a fine choice. It would run a mid size disc mower with ease and would handle a square baler or even a small round baler.

As far as the backhoe goes I would take the 6 or 7K that a BH will cost and put it toward a mini trackhoe. You'll get 10x the work done and won't have your tractor tied up all time.

Perfect example of a mini X being more usefull happened to me a couple of days ago. I had a busted water line. I took my trailer to the other side of my farm and hauled my TH home. Honestly it took less than 5 minutes to do the digging. If I didn't have it I would have just used a shovel. Sure a BH would be quicker than a shovel as far as the actual digging goes but figure in the install time and it wouldn't have been worth doing for such a small job. Hands down the mini x was money well spent.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I don't think Kubota makes a tractor with an HST tranny that can handle everything you want to do in the future. I agree with Bulldog you're going to need to look at something in the M series line up to be able to bale hay.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Congratulations, I really think you will like it.