Noise after transmission oil change

brokersdad

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 w FEL
Oct 24, 2009
Canada
I just changed the trans/hydraulic fluid in my L3010 and I used Kubota filters and UDT fluid, I now have a intermittent low squealing noise coming from under the tractor once in a while, getting more often as time goes on.Sometimes it's only at idle, sometimes when it's not doing it at idle ,if you it rev it up it starts and then bring it back down to an idle it will stop .Press the HST pedal and most times it goes away.And..sometimes it can sit running and not do it at all. Never had a peep of this noise until I did the fluid change, then I noticed it about a half hour of running it after the change. Air possibly? :confused:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I may be wrong but I thought that HST tractors required SUDT fluid. Unless the dealer did something on their own it came out new from the factory with SUDT in it. If you didn't have the noise before and now you do it makes me wonder. The only difference between new and now is the grade of oil if I am understanding you correctly.

brokersdad

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 w FEL
Oct 24, 2009
Canada
I may be wrong but I thought that HST tractors required SUDT fluid. Unless the dealer did something on their own it came out new from the factory with SUDT in it. If you didn't have the noise before and now you do it makes me wonder. The only difference between new and now is the grade of oil if I am understanding you correctly.
According to my manual it says UDT or SUDT, does say any one specifically :confused: I made sure the seal in my one filter stayed on good and both were tightened the 1/2 to one turn they recommend, I see no oil leaks anywhere but i'm starting to wonder if it's sucking air somewhere?

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I really wasn't sure about the HST tractors. My manual says my tractor will take either oil as well. The only reason I even brought that up is because your tractor came with SUDT and after the change is when the noise started. It may have nothing to do with it.

Keep us posted.

brokersdad

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 w FEL
Oct 24, 2009
Canada
Anyone else have any ideas? i called my dealer yesterday and the service guy said he really doesn't know what to tell me could be unless he hears it :confused: Said it could be a bearing or somethng, I can't understand why all of a sudden after my fluid change I have it and never heard a peep like it before that

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If I was going to bet on it I still think that it is the UDT fluid. All Kubotas come from the factory with Super UDT and the noise wasn't there until after the UDT was installed the noise started. Super UDT is a synthetic blend oil and it is a better grade of oil than the UDT is. I know that there was a huge difference in the noise level in my tractors after I put Amsoil full synthetic tractor/trans oil in mine. They are much quieter and run cooler to.

Amishkingpin

Equipment
B7100 HST with FEL,Tiller,Rotary Mower and Box grader
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Brokersdad,

I have noticed the same issue with my B7100 HST. I used a Kubota transmission filter and UDT from Walmart. Now, when I start my tractor, there is a squealling sound at start up until I move the joy stick on the FEL. Mmmm....:confused:

It never made this sound before I changed the fluid. I thought it was a the fan belt but after listen with the hood up, it was coming from the engine. When the tractor has ran and I shut it off for a hour, then restart I haven't heard the sound. Thinking maybe the fluid drains away that there is no lubrication when cold???

Has anyone else had this problem? I just spent $40 bucks for fluid but will change again if that will correct this problem. Don't want to damage my hdraulics...:(

AK

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
FWIW -- I have a B20 HST. I use Kubota UDT (not SUDT) along with the Kubota HST filter -- no squealing issues B4 or after fluid changes.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Brokersdad,

I have noticed the same issue with my B7100 HST. I used a Kubota transmission filter and UDT from Walmart. Now, when I start my tractor, there is a squealling sound at start up until I move the joy stick on the FEL. Mmmm....:confused:

It never made this sound before I changed the fluid. I thought it was a the fan belt but after listen with the hood up, it was coming from the engine. When the tractor has ran and I shut it off for a hour, then restart I haven't heard the sound. Thinking maybe the fluid drains away that there is no lubrication when cold???

Has anyone else had this problem? I just spent $40 bucks for fluid but will change again if that will correct this problem. Don't want to damage my hdraulics...:(

AK
I know that everybody has their own opinion about lubricants but that is one thing for sure that you get what you pay for. I would rather spend a few dollars more for a top grade oil that save a few bucks for now and then ultimately cost you in the end. Although I always warm my tractors up no matter what the temp is I could start mine up in any temp no matter how cold it is and go straight to using it if I chose to do so. Amsoil tractor/transmission oil is fluid down to -51F. My FEL works in cold weather just as good as it does in hot. Honestly, you can't tell a difference in the way it acts no matter what the temp. If all you are interested in is the cost of your oil then you don't even need to waste your time looking at Amsoil products. Myself, I look at how expensive the product that I'm trying to protect cost and I want my tractors to last me as long as possible. A few extra dollars spent on oil to keep my orange baby running smooth and happy is money well spent in my book.

perry

Equipment
B8200
Dec 27, 2009
Saegertown, pa
I just changed mine and have a similar faint noise. I do believe it is air.
When I look at the transmission dip stick I see hundreds if not thousands of tiny tiny air bubbles in the oil on the stick. When the air has setteled out, if I still have this noise then I will consider SUDT.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I just changed mine and have a similar faint noise. I do believe it is air.
When I look at the transmission dip stick I see hundreds if not thousands of tiny tiny air bubbles in the oil on the stick. When the air has setteled out, if I still have this noise then I will consider SUDT.

That could be the issue, some fluids foam and get air pockets, especially cheaper fluids. A hydro drive system is going to be more demanding on the fluid than a gear model that only has to operate the 3 point or a loader. My guess is that the noise is the air bubbles in the fluid being compressed by the pump.;)

perry

Equipment
B8200
Dec 27, 2009
Saegertown, pa
All oils will develop air when being poured or pumped including the most expensive. I use kubota brand udt. I have a B8200HST which was manufactured before the SUDT came on the market.

brokersdad

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 w FEL
Oct 24, 2009
Canada
I thought hard on the Walmart brand fluid but then I said for the amount of times I have to change it I midaswell put the Kubota stuff in and if I have any issues they wont be so quick to say it's the cheap fluid. The fluids have been changed before by the previous owner and my guess it's Kubota UDT also because she had the filters and stuff changed at the dealer from the looks of her service records, and I went to the same dealer for the fluid, they said they only use UDT when I asked what to buy. I have called the dealer since I started having this problem and when telling the service guy the symptoms, he talked like he never ever heard such a noise coming from one :confused: Possibly, but I find it hard to believe a dealer in buisness for over thirty years , and i'm the first one to say I have this noise. Of course if I want to take it out there, they'd be happy to look at it.:rolleyes:

Also I want to add, to me it sounds lke the noise is coming from the filter on the left side of the tractor, If I understand correctly it is the high pressure filter ? Wondered if it was a little loose sucking air, but then I thought I should see seapage from it when it's not running?

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It may be the fluid being forced thru the filter. UDT will be harder to pump thru the system than the Super UDT will so I'm sure it could make some different sounds as it goes thru the system. Maybe the former owner had the dealer order Super UDT fluid for them when it was time to change it. My local dealer tried to tell me the same old story that most do about how the UDT is just as good. If it was the same then Kubota would put it in all the tractors from the factory instead of Super UDT. I told them if they wanted to continue to supply me with parts that they would get what I wanted.

Sam427

Equipment
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I thought hard on the Walmart brand fluid but then I said for the amount of times I have to change it I midaswell put the Kubota stuff in and if I have any issues they wont be so quick to say it's the cheap fluid. The fluids have been changed before by the previous owner and my guess it's Kubota UDT also because she had the filters and stuff changed at the dealer from the looks of her service records, and I went to the same dealer for the fluid, they said they only use UDT when I asked what to buy. I have called the dealer since I started having this problem and when telling the service guy the symptoms, he talked like he never ever heard such a noise coming from one :confused: Possibly, but I find it hard to believe a dealer in buisness for over thirty years , and i'm the first one to say I have this noise. Of course if I want to take it out there, they'd be happy to look at it.:rolleyes:

Also I want to add, to me it sounds lke the noise is coming from the filter on the left side of the tractor, If I understand correctly it is the high pressure filter ? Wondered if it was a little loose sucking air, but then I thought I should see seapage from it when it's not running?
There shouldn't be any filter on a high pressure side, I think most of these tractors have about 2400 psi? At that, it would explode the can, I know on cars that they can swell up some of the filter cans at 100 psi.

brokersdad

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 w FEL
Oct 24, 2009
Canada
There shouldn't be any filter on a high pressure side, I think most of these tractors have about 2400 psi? At that, it would explode the can, I know on cars that they can swell up some of the filter cans at 100 psi.
O Ok, I just assumed I guess because there's two filters, one on each side and I thought I read something about a high pressure filter :eek:

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
The filter on the right side is a hydraulic suction filter. It filters all the fluid in the tractor. The filter on the left side is the HST filter. After the fluid goes through the suction filter, the fluid going to the HST goes through this filter.

Sam427

Equipment
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
The filter on the right side is a hydraulic suction filter. It filters all the fluid in the tractor. The filter on the left side is the HST filter. After the fluid goes through the suction filter, the fluid going to the HST goes through this filter.
Is the HST filter also suction?

brokersdad

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 w FEL
Oct 24, 2009
Canada
So I was talking to my dealer the other day, they sent a guy down to look at my tractor and he said he's never heard a noise like mine is making :confused:, figures i'd have the oddball one:rolleyes:. He thought maybe it could be a bad filter from new somehow making the noise when the fluid passes through it. The noise sounds as if it's coming from right around that area of the HST filter and I also notice when you push the clutch it stops. They gave me another filter to put on if I choose to, I told them if it doesn't cure it i'd go good for the filter but i'm kind of wondering now if it's possible that's the problem? The guy they sent to my place to listen to it come to find out is kind of the all tasks guy at the shop that was down here on service calls just dropping off gear, so i'm not sure of his expertise. Possible it's a filter issue ? Anyone see it before?