no glow plug indicator light

bic

Equipment
L3010, LT28 wood mizer
Dec 19, 2014
Little Current, Manitoulin Island
just checking to see what is the first place I should start, the glow plug indicator light on the dash does not come on when key is turned to first click. took panel off and checked bulb and it is fine, I don't think the glow plugs are working, tried leaving key on then checked plugs no heat.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You will need to pull the dash to get to the glow plug relay and check that it has power in and out, also check the fuses.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Wolfman is right on, as usual. The GP controller is a common problem. That was my first part failure of any kind and happened around 1150 hours on mine. About $70 at the orange tractor dealer. That diagram should help you. If I were you and the fuses are ruled out, I would just pick up the GP controller and replace it and you'll probably be done (since you will have pulled the dash loose anyway. There is a temp sensor relay also but try the controller first.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
just checking to see what is the first place I should start, the glow plug indicator light on the dash does not come on when key is turned to first click. took panel off and checked bulb and it is fine, I don't think the glow plugs are working, tried leaving key on then checked plugs no heat.
Not sure what you mean by first click for sure but I'm assuming you mean
that they don't come on when on when you're turning the key to the first
on position. That's not what turns on any of the tractors I've ever operated
and would assume it'a the same as my Kubota. On my B3030 you turn the
key on then turn it further without engaging the starter and that's what feeds the current to the glow plugs.

Is that what yours is supposed to do or does it have an "automatic function" that cycles the glow plugs based on the temperature?
Al

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Not sure what you mean by first click for sure but I'm assuming you mean
that they don't come on when on when you're turning the key to the first
on position. That's not what turns on any of the tractors I've ever operated
and would assume it'a the same as my Kubota. On my B3030 you turn the
key on then turn it further without engaging the starter and that's what feeds the current to the glow plugs.

Is that what yours is supposed to do or does it have an "automatic function" that cycles the glow plugs based on the temperature?
Al
At the 1st click key position the GP light should come on. how long it stays on depends on the temperature sensor relay. Mine always comes on even if it's just for a moment. I had the block heater plugged in for a couple hours this morning and at 2 degrees above zero it stayed on for about 5 seconds on mine. Started and ran fine while I moved 12" of snow around.

bic

Equipment
L3010, LT28 wood mizer
Dec 19, 2014
Thank you for the replies gents, and especially the diagram ( manual will be here Friday now) guess I'll be ordering the GP controller weather here has been between -20 - -29*c over the past couple days, bit chilly....
I'll let you know how I make out
Thanks again bic

bic

Equipment
L3010, LT28 wood mizer
Dec 19, 2014
Can you clarify something for me, I ordered the part #030 as highlighted on the diagram. it was discribed as a gp relay, in that reply but in another reply it was called a controller, did I order the right part.
the lady at the parts dept. advised the relay was #020
#030 was $71.00 and #020 was 30 something.
thanks again
bic

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Can you clarify something for me, I ordered the part #030 as highlighted on the diagram. it was discribed as a gp relay, in that reply but in another reply it was called a controller, did I order the right part.
the lady at the parts dept. advised the relay was #020
#030 was $71.00 and #020 was 30 something.
thanks again
bic
020 is the GP controller
030 is the GP relay

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I said that you need to check for power in and power out on the glow plug relay, I don't know if it's bad without that test.

If #30 has no high amperage power in then you have a fuse or wiring problem.

If #30 has high amperage (larger wire) power in (constant hot) and low amperage power in (signal from #20) when key is turned on and no High power out to the GP's then the relay is bad.

If #30 has high amperage (larger wire) power in (constant hot) and NO low amperage power in (signal from #20) when key is turned on and no High power out to the GP's then the controller #20 is bad.
Remember this is all based on temperature of the tractor.

bic

Equipment
L3010, LT28 wood mizer
Dec 19, 2014
thanks for your help Wolfman and KingCreek, replaced the controller and I now have glow plugs. -19* here right now with a wind chill of -30*c tractor strarted right up
all the best
bic

bic

Equipment
L3010, LT28 wood mizer
Dec 19, 2014
Got another one for you, couple of weeks ago my glow plug indicator light was dim when I turned the key on, stayed on for a few seconds went off like normal.
I don't think the glow plugs are being activated, if they are its not much.
Would this involve the relay? I'm thinking this has something to do possibly with what Wolf was indicating in describing the amps, a couple of threads ago.
Thanks ahead
Bic

scmoore

Mar 10, 2017
graysville, OH
I said that you need to check for power in and power out on the glow plug relay, I don't know if it's bad without that test.

If #30 has no high amperage power in then you have a fuse or wiring problem.

If #30 has high amperage (larger wire) power in (constant hot) and low amperage power in (signal from #20) when key is turned on and no High power out to the GP's then the relay is bad.

If #30 has high amperage (larger wire) power in (constant hot) and NO low amperage power in (signal from #20) when key is turned on and no High power out to the GP's then the controller #20 is bad.
Remember this is all based on temperature of the tractor.
I know this is an old tread but I have replaced #20 and #30 parts and still am not getting any power to my glow plugs. I have power at the red wire with key off and power to the small wires with key on but no power on the black wire in either position. Could I just put in a toggle switch and send power direct to the glow plugs when it is cold enough to need them? Tractor starts easy above 50 without the glow plugs.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I know this is an old tread but I have replaced #20 and #30 parts and still am not getting any power to my glow plugs. I have power at the red wire with key off and power to the small wires with key on but no power on the black wire in either position. Could I just put in a toggle switch and send power direct to the glow plugs when it is cold enough to need them? Tractor starts easy above 50 without the glow plugs.
Have you checked the ground?