Newbie MX5100 good/bad/ugly

Red Bull

Mar 31, 2016
Keene, NH
Looking for my first tractor and want to make sure I get the right one for the job. I recently purchased my dream property with 140 acres of land. I will be clearing three areas for fields and food plots (6 acre). I will sub this out to more experienced operator with excavator and dozer. My only experience with tractors is watching my Dad buy a BX and trading it for L3300 good for him but think this is to small for what I plan on doing. Not much time behind the wheel but liked the HST.

The tractor I'm looking at is a MX5100 GST 200hrs. Heavy enough and big enough I think. Soon will want a grapple bucket, tiller, disc, rake, and mower. Not sure in what order. Help with that would be great.

Is the GST shuttle good? or HST better? The land is somewhat hilly in spots and this unit is 4wd. From what I read tier 3 is better than tier 4?

The unit is coming in trade to the dealer next week. I do not know all the details yet but what is something like this worth? The dealer said 25k will buy it. Also has all the service records well maintained with no issues. A new one will be 28500 in a 5200. Please help a newbie out, with so many choices I want to get this right the first time.

Thanks,
RB

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
First, the MX5100 is a really nice tractor, it is advertised as a UT, but is essentially the same size, weight, power etc. as the old Grand L5030, I had an L5030 and really liked it.

I believe the size should be fine for your needs. If you have the need, a grapple is great, I use mine a lot as we have woods. I run one with a third function valve. It is expensive, some run them off a rear remote or use a diverter valve setup.

A tiller is nice, but I already had a plow and disc, so I use that, tillers are pretty expensive, so only you can make that decision.

My preference on that size tractor is HST, but I've never run a GST, so hopefully someone with hands on experience will come along.

The price seems high and I'd certainly try to get him down, but as mentioned the Tier 4 fear has really propped the the price of the Tier3 and Interim Tier 4. The MX5100 has a turbo and is the latter, kind of confusing. It requires no additional DPF or anything, really simple. 200 hours is like a new tractor and having the service records really helps.

Wish I could be of more help.

Here are a couple of You Tubes that might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwZiMslo5Fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMO7zqV1VVE

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum!

Red Bull

Mar 31, 2016
Keene, NH
TripleR Thanks for the video link. I'm not sure about the GST type trans?? The HST is what I wanted to start so wondering if I will get used to the shifting. Seems like the tier3's with low hours get snatched up quickly.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Just a thought, but I once "saved a lot of money" and bought hoping I would get used to a transmission, never did and lost money trading a two year old vehicle in for what I really wanted in the first place.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Just a thought, but I once "saved a lot of money" and bought hoping I would get used to a transmission, never did and lost money trading a two year old vehicle in for what I really wanted in the first place.
^^^ I concur. Seems you want HST and therefore you should get what you want when spending 20K... With that said, You would be happy with that sized tractor. If your going to work up food plots I think you would only need a rotary cutter and a tiller. When we got the tiller the plow, disc and cultivator were sold. They were never used again.. The tiller gives great results with the HST and cruise control. Rear remote is nice and have the rear tires filled. MX4700 is basically the same tractor minus the turbo and a few ponies. If you have time, cast a long wide net and look for a MX4700 or MX5100 HST.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
TripleR, In sales they teach, "Sell what the customer wants. He'll come back and buy what he needs."

It's an expensive lesson, but human nature.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
TripleR, In sales they teach, "Sell what the customer wants. He'll come back and buy what he needs."

It's an expensive lesson, but human nature.
You mean the salesman isn't really your friend looking to serve you in the best way to make you happy at the least cost to you? Say it ain't so...:confused:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
In the initial sales process there should be a dialogue of what are the needs, however, many times the customer "knows" what his "needs" are. The salesperson tries to redirect those thoughts and he's out of the picture. (That customer would go down the street to a competitor and buy.)

So, the customer, who knows what he wants buys just that. If that choice becomes frustrating enough to him, he'll buy something else....what he needed.

It's kinda like the Dr. can suggest a patient take Lipitor to reduce cholesterol. Depending on the patients personality they can say Ok, or No Way, or get the prescription and still never take the med.

Sooner or later the patient is going to find another Dr. (who won't mention taking the med), or realize he better do something to improve his health. Which means take the medicine!

The customer is always right!

Red Bull

Mar 31, 2016
Keene, NH
^^^ I concur. Seems you want HST and therefore you should get what you want when spending 20K... With that said, You would be happy with that sized tractor. If your going to work up food plots I think you would only need a rotary cutter and a tiller. When we got the tiller the plow, disc and cultivator were sold. They were never used again.. The tiller gives great results with the HST and cruise control. Rear remote is nice and have the rear tires filled. MX4800 is basically the same tractor minus the turbo and a few ponies. If you have time, cast a long wide net and look for a MX4800 or MX5100 HST.
The 4800 has tier4 I think? Depends who you talk to about tier3 or 4. How much consideration should I give to a new machine? Pricing is so close on low hour machines and most used do not have the 3rd valve or rear hydro's I did find a mx4700 hsd 35 hrs. the dealer is holding firm at $28,500 The new 4800 for 1k more. Soon as mud season is over I will have a tractor in the yard. Lots of open houses In April hope to find a deal.

Any help with good online classifieds? I'm in the Northeast and all the deals seem to be down south?

Thanks everyone for the advice.
RB

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Any help with good online classifieds? I'm in the Northeast and all the deals seem to be down south?

There are varying opinions with the new technology on the new tier 4s. To each their own. It would be under warranty regardless. Find a dealer that's helpful and you like them. They should be able to locate the tractor you want. Smaller operations seem eager for your business. Larger places are like, there's the price and walk away... I guess if you're not buying a 200k combine you're not worth their time. If you go new you could qualify for the 0% interest if that helps your decision.

Red Bull

Mar 31, 2016
Keene, NH
Stopped into the local dealer to look at the MX series. They had a 5200 in stock like the size and how the hydro lines are neatly inside the lift arms where he L4701 seemed exposed with connections behind the front wheel. I had a chance to sit on both HSD and SU model lot more going on with the SU model. I'm now sticking with the HSD just seems easier for the operator. The dealer said you loose some HP but I'd rather have ease of operation.

One thing I did not like with the 5200 is the fuel filler on top of the hood? Where the 4701 was easily filled from the side. What do people do with the top fill? I'm not set up with tanks or even truck fuel tank? This could be a problem for me unless someone has some good ideas.

Thanks
RB

aarolar

Aug 26, 2012
Augusta GA
Stopped into the local dealer to look at the MX series. They had a 5200 in stock like the size and how the hydro lines are neatly inside the lift arms where he L4701 seemed exposed with connections behind the front wheel. I had a chance to sit on both HSD and SU model lot more going on with the SU model. I'm now sticking with the HSD just seems easier for the operator. The dealer said you loose some HP but I'd rather have ease of operation.

One thing I did not like with the 5200 is the fuel filler on top of the hood? Where the 4701 was easily filled from the side. What do people do with the top fill? I'm not set up with tanks or even truck fuel tank? This could be a problem for me unless someone has some good ideas.

Thanks
RB
Stand on the tire and operators platform at the same time, or stand on the tailgate of a truck either works.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The fuel filler on the hood can be an annoyance, we use 300 gallon tanks to fill our tractors, but several years ago did the five gallon at a time on our the L5030. We did the foot on the tire thing mentioned by aarolar. Some use a fuel caddy from Northern or 30-50 gallon barrel with hand or electric pump.

If I had to do it now, I would just buy a sturdy aluminum step/platform.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
In Canada taxes on a tractor can make a big difference in the final price.
If you are a true farmer whose income is almost entirely from the farm operation you pay no tax period so the price of the tractor is what you pay.
For someone like me who has 100 acres but my income does not primarily come from the farm it is a different situation.
If you buy a tractor with 60+ pto horsepower you are deemed a farmer and pay no tax which is 13%.
If your tractor being purchased has 59.5 pto horsepower you pay the 13% extra tax so in some cases you can get a much bigger tractor for the same price because you are not paying any tax.
I started looking at tractors like the 5100 and ended up with a M7040
Dave M7040

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I guess it differs from place to place as only a portion of our income comes from farm land and we pay no sales tax on tractors, equipment and such. It's well worth checking into as it sure saves a lot of money.