NEW WG24 Stump Grinder - Initial impressions!

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I was thinking how challenging it would be with geared - wouldn't even attempt it.

Thanks- I appreciated the links to the camera & Jeff's sharpening & supply.

It must be the Missouri stubbornness and my tendency to DIY but what exactly is the limiting factor to resharpening these? I know carbide is super tough but there are reasonable diamond disks available or other TBD...? that could work right - No one here has tried it themselves?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I was thinking how challenging it would be with geared - wouldn't even attempt it.

It must be the Missouri stubbornness and my tendency to DIY but what exactly is the limiting factor to resharpening these? I know carbide is super tough but there are reasonable diamond disks available or other TBD...? that could work right - No one here has tried it themselves?
I touched some buried 1/2" rebar with my WG24 and it instantly took out the outer perimeter teeth. Not much left worth trying to sharpen on them. LOL!!

You can take a look at them Here on my remote camera install. See Post #s 6 & 9.

This is a former thread on replacement teeth and sharpening services.

Maybe with the right diamond wheel on a small grinder you could touch up the teeth if they were just dulled from use and weren't chipped up too badly. It might pay to touch them up yourself until they were bad enough to warrant complete replacement. Especially considering the cost of shipping these days.

David

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I was super careful, but I am on a ridge with glacial deposits ranging in size from softballs to Suburbans! Despite the pickaxe and careful digging, I found some where the root support surrounded the rock (NOT COOL MAN!) I did hear the tone change and quickly pulled up, but it is a matter of "when" not "if" I wipe the outers given my backlog.

FYI Don't get me started on the number of 24" pro CS chains I wiped - I got OK at bringing them back to functional ,but they are never the same.

Good idea on switching around the teeth - also saw new ones are $105 for six :(.
Has anyone had any luck sharpening them?
Don't forget that you can simply "rotate' the teeth into different positions on the cutting wheel. I've found that with our tractor (size) you really aren't using the teeth that are located closer to the center of the shaft. Those teeth will barely (if ever) be used. So, swap them out with the teeth that are doing the cutting on the outer edges of the flywheel.

I would suggest that you order some spares. I used the supplier that birddogger mentioned and they were great to deal with.

regarding sharpening the teeth. I believe that you need a "green wheel" silicon carbide type grinding wheel. They sell them an amazon (and other places of course) as well. I've never used one but I don't believe that the wheels last that long themselves.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Thanks- I appreciated the links 0to the camera & Jeff's sharpening & supply.

You dont need or want diamond to sharben brazed carbide tooling. An ordinary silicon carbide (green) wheel on a bench grinder is typical.

The trick to sharpening tooling is getting the edge geometry correct. The teeth on the WG24 are pretty simple and should be straight forward.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks for all of the advice. I sharpen my own mover & chainsaw blades and will tackle these when the need comes. I prob will get some spares as well.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
Got my new WG24 stump grinder up and running yesterday. Awesome, I am so pleased. It does a perfect job. My son who was against buying it was also really impressed. If you go very slow it turns the stumps into saw dust. I wish I would have purchased it sooner. You guys on this forum were right again. I want to THANK YOU!!!! from the bottom of my heart Thank you. Keep up the great work.
Dave

Reactions: 3 users

CDog215

Equipment
Woodland Mills WG24
Oct 8, 2023
Molino, FL
Quick question for anyone... I have a 24mm wrench that works great removing and installing all the teeth on my WG24 except the ones on the very edge. It won't fit in the slot and I'm afraid if I get a regular socket it still won't fit. Anyone have a suggestions on the tool to use to remove the nut on those teeth (again... the ones on the very edge)?

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Quick question for anyone... I have a 24mm wrench that works great removing and installing all the teeth on my WG24 except the ones on the very edge. It won't fit in the slot and I'm afraid if I get a regular socket it still won't fit. Anyone have a suggestions on the tool to use to remove the nut on those teeth (again... the ones on the very edge)?
I would just grind a box end wrench to fit...
Also I have not tried this place but it's not far from me and seems to have really good prices on teeth new or to get your re-sharpened... https://www.jeffssharpening.com/

Reactions: 1 user

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
If you look at the instructions it says that the teeth are to be torqued to 160 ft. lbs. that is easier to do with a socket. and yes the 24 mm. sockets fit all of the teeth. Some of the replacement teeth are not metric but the right socket still fits them also. Best of luck.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.