New tractor with scratches

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
Today I went to see my new l2501 that I will be picking up on Friday. It had scratches on both fenders, it bothers me a little but I know it's a tractor and will get scratches eventually. I just prefer that I put my own scratches on my new machine. Would anyone else be concerned about these? View rece(1).jpg

View rece.jpg

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
I think Id be upset enough to ask for some discount. Show your pictures to a body shop and get an estimate. Ask your dealer for more than that and see where it leads. Or alternatively ask for your money back and go elsewhere. Could you trust them after that point to service or warranty your tractor?

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
I think Id be upset enough to ask for some discount. Show your pictures to a body shop and get an estimate. Ask your dealer for more than that and see where it leads. Or alternatively ask for your money back and go elsewhere. Could you trust them after that point to service or warranty your tractor?
I haven’t signed any papers yet so I’m not obligated. But this is one of the only HSTs in my state. The other is about 3 hrs away. I asked them to paint it with some touch up paint. I guess I’ll see how it looks Friday.....

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
1. It's a tractor, it will get scratched
2. Sounds like it wasn't part of the deal (discounted)
3. Looks like carelessness during final assembly
4. Ask how much the service department would charge to repair those areas.... negotiate from that point and take it off the deal.
5. I'd settle for a box of filters and enough SUDT and engine oil to do the first service.

Most touch up jobs look worse than the scratch. If it's not through the paint and they buff it out and it level it, the paint thickness in that area will much less. If they just put a shine in the scuff to make it less noticeable, that's the better choice.

Last edited:

rademamj1

Nov 30, 2019
Waco,Texas
It doesn't look very professional to see a Kubota dealer turning out new tractors like this. Recommend you keep this very simple, just ask the dealer to remove those scratches before you take possession of the tractor.

Ask him to double check all fluids too, when doing his dealer prep.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Possibly crate damage either from shipping or crate removal? First pic looks like the fender is damaged too. Is it a big deal? Probably not. But should it either be fixed or you get a discount of sorts, yes! That won’t affect the functionality of the tractor but you are paying for a new tractor! Don’t take that deal without getting something out of it! Im in the car world but no way that would fly. Get it fixed, get an implement or discount and live with it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When I bought my 52 grand M 9, it delivered with a few scratches in the paint. I ignored them. It's a tractor, not a Ferrari.

Got better things to bellyache about.:eek:

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Not something that I would worry about.

A 3 hour drive there and back to a different dealer sounds like a hurt I wouldn't need just so I "will show him."

A bit like buying a truck with 4-wheel drive that never gets off the pavement.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Yes, it IS a tractor and will likely get more scratches after you take it home. But it is a new tractor and I'd expect it to be like new when delivered.

That gives me the impression that the dealer doesn't pay attention to detail or doesn't care.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I haven’t signed any papers yet so I’m not obligated. But this is one of the only HSTs in my state. The other is about 3 hrs away. I asked them to paint it with some touch up paint. I guess I’ll see how it looks Friday.....
If that’s what you asked them to do... and they do that... you’ve indicated your acceptance of that damage. No further action.

I would have told them to make the repair exactly as I would with a new car.

(Wife bought a new car, financed thru her teacher-credit-union, and hit a deer bringing it home, crushing the front into the engine and almost to the windshield which shattered. The dealer had forgotten to get her down payment. In her purchase excitement she didn’t notice she hadn’t made the dn-pmt either. When the car was towed to the dealer only 5 hours after she had driven it off their lot, their risk-mgr found the accounting error and the dealer accepted full responsibility. She got a different/identical new car. That’s how a dealer stays in business...by treating the customer properly.)
They got the dn-pmt before they gave her the keys tho’. :D

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd be saying 'that's NOT my tractor' on friday ! NO way I'd accept it. If any of you guys who say 'it's just a tractor', would you drive your new 75K pickup off the dealer lot with similar scratches ?? 'it's just a pickup'.I don't think so.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Unless they discount it, you aren't paying for a scratched tractor. My 20 year old tractor doesn't have scratches like that, and I work it. So, "it's a tractor" is subjective.
Tractors are not painted well, with most not even being primed. I wouldn't accept a compromised body part when new, because it will possibly need to be corrected for rust, down the road. They scratched it, let them cover the cost of fixing it. If they are a competent dealer, they can fix it. If they can't, that may be a sign that you need to find a better dealer.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
wouldnt worry about 1 or 2 little scuffs like this at all. You can easily fix these yourself with the Kubota spray paint that cost about $15. If It was a brand new truck or car then yea scratches like this would be more an issue,but on a tractor my feeling is very different.

One way you could broach the scratches withotu coming off like a nit picky hard to please person is tell the dealer "hey I noticed a few scuffs and scratches in the paint on the tractor, reckon you could just throw in a can of the kubota Orange spray paint so I can touch those up?" if he is the type of dealer who wants to go above and beyond he will respond something like "Show me those scratches, we will take care of them" if he isnt, he may at least say sure and throw in a free can of paint.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Unless they discount it, you aren't paying for a scratched tractor. My 20 year old tractor doesn't have scratches like that, and I work it. So, "it's a tractor" is subjective.
Tractors are not painted well, with most not even being primed. I wouldn't accept a compromised body part when new, because it will possibly need to be corrected for rust, down the road. They scratched it, let them cover the cost of fixing it. If they are a competent dealer, they can fix it. If they can't, that may be a sign that you need to find a better dealer.
OP said it was the only HST model for miles around so obviously he wants that unit. Don't know if I'd be too much of a DH with the dealer. Could bite you in the posterior down the road as well.

Like I said, my M9 had a couple of scratches on it when I bought it new in 2004. Not a big deal with me but then to me' it's a tractor and I'll leave it at that.

NewtoOrange

Equipment
L2501
Mar 1, 2017
Pleasant Plains, Il. USA
To hell with that. Yeah it may not be a Ferrari but I would be very concerned with what else might have occurred during shipping or assembly that is NOT visible. Hell mine came 4 quarts low on front axle fluid and it only holds about 4 1/2 qts total. Depending on the dealer reaction I might look for another dealer or take a pass.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Completely agree.

Also - the fact that you're asking this question means it's not OK with you - and that's all that matters in the end.

Work with the dealer to come to a solution that works for both of you. You're spending a lot of your hard earned $$$ on this machine - make sure you're happy.

If this were some used machine with 500 hours it'd be a different story - but new is new.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
They will fix the scratches as they should and then you are good to go. I went through the same thing and they simply fixed the scratches. Everyone was happy . They also painted over the sight window for my hst oil while they were at it though lol.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
and i bet fixing these minor scratches will involve walking over, grabbing the can of Kubota Orange II spray paint, spraying it, and done. The paint on these tractors is not like car paint. Ive noticed that quickly with my new L2501. The little hump in the middle - the paint wore off the edge of that in just a few hours from simply stepping on and off the tractor.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Yeah I think they are meant to easily paint unlike a car with clearcoat. Shake a can of orange paint, spray it and you are good to go until your next scratch which won't be long.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I think it depends on how the OP intends to use it, if he was going to romp around in the woods with tree branches , or brush , and get it scratched up any, doesn’t matter, if it was going to be a garage keep machine doing light duty work on a suburban estate different story.,

my bx has 700 hrs, 10 years old, not a scratch on it, even on the MMM, but still well used, so it’s possible to keep it nice if you want to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk