New Tractor Owner Here...looking for HELP! (7100d)

markwelle

Equipment
Mid-70's 7100d w/ FEL
Jun 28, 2015
Colorado Springs
Hi all! Been cruising around the site for a bit now, reading up on mt little tractor, and have a couple questions. I purchased a 7100d (I think, based on serial number, functions,, etc.). I believe I got a fair deal at auction. Running, driving tractor including perfectly working FEL, Woods Billy Goat 3 pt mower, Kubota 3 pt tiller (40" wide x 24" tall?), a yellow (name worn off) 45" x 24" 2-auger 3 pt snowblower, a furrow 3 pt attachment, a drag with 60 adjustable tines spread over a 48x48 frame, a 3 pt grader blade, and a Sears 3 pt 'fork/lifting' attachment (I think...) all-in after fees for $2950.

Now that's out of the way...after some basic operation and research, I have a couple questions:

1) I've replaced all the fluids except the transmission/hydro. I believe the 3 pt system as well as the tractors transmission use the same reservoir/system, correct? As I don't know where a Kubota dealer is, but I have a BIG R down the road, can I use Lube King Trans/Hydro Fluid in place of the UTF? Can I also use it in the FEL system?

2) I tried mowing for the 1st time, and while it went OK, I seemed to struggle with finding the right combination of PTO gear (1, 2, 3) and tractor speed (1-6). Any thoughts? I ended up settling at PTO 2, Tractor 3.

2a) I seem to see a lot about 540 RPM's when using implements. How do I know what my revs are? No tach...

2b) I need to get the Woods mower gear box rebuilt. I filled with 90w lube, and within an hour, it was empty...nearly running out the bottom of the box. Probably not within my scope to repair...any thoughts?

3) At this point, I am forced to store the tractor outdoors even during the winter :mad: but it does have a block heater plug, which will be plugged in for sure! Any other worries about storing this old diesel tractor outside in Colorado? I will of course give her ample time to warm the plugs before running to clear snow, but otherwise...?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated! Even something that I haven't asked about, I'm eager to listen and learn! I'm in Monument/Colorado Springs area if that means anything to anyone, or if there is a good service place that anyone can recommend in the area, I'm all ears!

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Re: New Tractor Owner Here...looking for HELP!

I would say you got a "GREAT" deal on that tractor with all those implements.
I have 3 B7100s (watch out they are addicting). As for the leaking gearbox if you are not up to rebuilding, check into using 00 grease, people refer to it as "corn head grease" do a search on here lots of info about using it in leaking gearboxes. As far as pto rpm set throttle at almost wide open and run pto in 1st speed. That will give you 540 rpm.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

You can get the "corn head grease" Sam mentioned at most John Deere dealers. It will provide lubrication and protection, just not as the gear box was designed.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA

Welcome to OTT, markwelle! (I've got the older little-brother to your B7100D.)

Since you've been lurking a bit, you must be aware that the first thing you need to do is hone your camera skills, and perfect uploading pics! :D

Over time, you'll learn that there's only two speeds: off and WOT (Wide Open Throttle), or as kubotasam put it, "almost wide open". Your engine loves to run, and lugging is the most harmful thing you can do other than running without oil or using ether to start it.

I've added a Tiny-Tach to mine, but have found that usually I just set the hand throttle and go.

markwelle

Equipment
Mid-70's 7100d w/ FEL
Jun 28, 2015
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the help about the grease...I had wondered if there was a way to use something like that but still keep the bearings lubed up! I'll go find some ASAP.

Any thoughts on using the Lube King Trans/Hydro Universal Fluid in this little tractor's t-case? FEL? It appears that if I "double cross reference" the Kubota UTF, I can arrive at the Lube King fluid. In my downloaded manual, it shows I can use Shell Donax-TD or -TM. At BIG R, the lube king cross reference sheet shows that their Trans/Hydro Universal Fluid can be used in place of the Shell Donax-TD or -TM. So, if my math is right, if A=B, and B=C, then A=C too, right? Thoughts? Being new, the last thing I want to do is screw up the t-case or FEL...

Last one for now (more to follow I'm sure!):

How 'sharp' should the blades be on my brush cutter/mower? I'm just mowing down natural grasses on my 5 acres, not a lawn. Right now they are just rounded edges on the blades with no sharp edge AT ALL...should I grid them to somewhat of an edge, or ???

Thanks to all!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
TKM has the same data my RCR1260 has, leave about 1/16" vertical flat and sharpen the rest. This lets it handle normal impacts better.

My L3200 runs the mower best in 3rd gear and can only run 540RPM on the PTO. If I take it up to 4th gear, it can only be on stuff that's already pretty short, anything over 8" and it starts to get pretty hot, just above the halfway point. It's not fast but it is efficient and leaves a decent cut.

Most mowers only run 540RPM, at least as far as I've seen.

I'm not in the 'always run near max RPM' crowd. If I'm running PTO, I run at PTO speed (little indicator line for PTO on the tach). If I'm not, then I tend to run around 1600-1700 and use the throttle pedal if I need power, especially for loader work. Ground engagement tools (like a box blade) generally get fine-tuned for what I'm doing, how long of a run I have, and how much of a hurry I'm in... :D

You should get a feel for the tractor and know when it needs to have power and when power is just being wasted. Tractors run very well at constant speeds, but they also do variable speed nicely and it saves fuel/wear to run them at lower RPM's when you can get away with it. As has been said before, don't run at an idle or lug it down below 1300, it just causes issues with the engine. You also don't need to crank it up to 2500 to tow that garden cart to the pasture.