New to forum and tractors

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Hi everyone, I am new here so this is my first post. During my research for my first tractor purchase I looked at just about every color tractor made and in the end I decided I liked the orange ones best. With that said I will take delivery of my package next week. I bought a L4701 4x4 with loader, 6ft cutter, 6ft HD discs, 6ft box scraper and a 20ft pipe trailer with 5,200# axles and brakes. I have no experience with tractors so this will be a learning process so I will do everything really slow until I am confident I know what I am doing.

I purchased 68 wooded acres this summer and plan to build a camp there this spring. The tractor will be used around the property to cut established roads, a powerline ROW and food plots along with maintaining and working the property as needed.

I am more interested in learning more about tractor do's, dont's and operation than towing as I am already experienced in that area but if anyone feels the need to add any advice about towing it is certainly welcome.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone. Thanks for any and all advice in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Welcome to the forum. Your getting a nice tractor.

The first "do" on my list (and it's surprising how many don't do this) is to "Read the Operator's Manual" cover to cover before using the tractor.

Good luck.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Well that won't be a problem because it is the first thing I do with any new equipment or vehicle I buy, thanks.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Congratulations on the new orange purchase!.

The safety devices on the new tractors go a long way in keeping feet, hands, etc intact with your body.

Keeping front end loads low just mentioned above....The thing about this that's easy to not be aware of until a person sees it happen is this...

With respect to roll overs, a four wheel tractor due to the pivoting action of the front axle makes it essentially a tricycle three wheel tractor. While the axle pivot amount is limited in its travel, the inertia once starts pivoting on a slope can be enough to carry through to a complete rollover, with heavy, high front end loads. The solid rear axle is the only thing restraining the tractor from starting to tip and of course why you'll see the rear counterweight requirements in the manuals for the FEL.

Saw the above happen... fortunately a couple of guys acted quickly enough stepping on the back of the tractor and telling the operator to get the load down..

Also saw a tractor get pulled vertical straight up in the air on it's back wheels, due to the operator attaching a tow chain above the rear axle center line to a stuck dump truck. You'll see warnings in the manual about this also.

Enjoy the new Orange!

Last edited:

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum. I recently purchased an orange tractor too. The one I traded was a different orange. Take your time and learn how it operates. Even though I had the other tractor for quite a few years this one is very different.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Getting really stuck is one thing that I'd be prepared for. I'd practice ahead of time using bucket to help going back out of the mud. Also have on hand strong tow rope and at least one "easy to use" pulley. Doubling the pull sometimes works wonders. A broken chain or rope is very dangerous.
A neighbor with a tractor also is handy for those real bad situations. However, not getting into the mess to begin with can save a lot of embarrassment.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Thanks guys, lots of good advice given so keep them coming.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Get the rear tires "filled" if they're not already. The extra weight adds a lot of stability to the tractor.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you have a lot of trees then watch for low limbs, they can catch on the ROPS and the tractor can continue forward and pop the front end up and over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Keep the disc or cutter on while doing loader work. Don't get near the PTO shaft while the tractor is running.

You may also want to get a subsoiler and possibly a chisel plow to break open the ground before discing, depending on your soil. Any new place I open I use the subsoiler then the chisel plow, then disc. Any place I work that's been more than a couple of months since it's been disced requires the chisel first. Some places require the subsoiler again after a few years.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I will look into getting the tires filled. I am also aware of the ROPS getting hung on low hanging limbs and will be aware of that. Good idea about having an implement attached while doing loader work, I can see where that would help balance a heavy front load. I spent most of my life around rotating equipment and know what can happen if you mess up and get caught in it so that is already burnt into my brain but thanks for the reminder. Lots of great info and advice already, thanks.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
You may also want to get a subsoiler and possibly a chisel plow to break open the ground before discing, depending on your soil. Any new place I open I use the subsoiler then the chisel plow, then disc. Any place I work that's been more than a couple of months since it's been disced requires the chisel first. Some places require the subsoiler again after a few years.

Thanks, I will look into those. My plan is to break the ground a few times with the discs to make sure there isn't any hidden stumps or big roots. Then buy a tiller to use after I make a couple passes with the discs first. Will just have to see how hard the ground is first before going that route though.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Thanks, I will look into those. My plan is to break the ground a few times with the discs to make sure there isn't any hidden stumps or big roots. Then buy a tiller to use after I make a couple passes with the discs first. Will just have to see how hard the ground is first before going that route though.

If you're going to use a tiller then the disc isn't needed at all. I wouldn't want to use a disc if I thought there were hidden stumps either. It may uncover them or may just float over them. Nothing's better for roots or stumps than a subsoiler, and for a lot less money than a disc. You'll also need either the subsoiler or chisel plow regularly to prevent the hard pan from forming beneath where the tiller reaches.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My garden is 1 acre and I subsoil it each year to help keep the hard pan broken and to allow the water to soak in more easily.

Do not have a tiller so I disk mine which works great. The best soil is the top 1 foot.

I fill my garden each year with leaves and turn under and also plant a cover crop of wheat, oats, and clover that I too disk in during early spring. It serves several purposes; winter forage for the critters on the farm, minimizes soil and erosion and helps build up the soil when turned in.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You can load the rear tires yourself, very easy to do, lot's of info here and on youtube. Congrats on the new tractor. Good advice keeping the loader low.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
If you're going to use a tiller then the disc isn't needed at all. I wouldn't want to use a disc if I thought there were hidden stumps either. It may uncover them or may just float over them. Nothing's better for roots or stumps than a subsoiler, and for a lot less money than a disc. You'll also need either the subsoiler or chisel plow regularly to prevent the hard pan from forming beneath where the tiller reaches.

Well I already bought the discs so I probably will get the subsoiler also after seeing how they work on youtube. The tiller will be another year so I have time to decide if I want to get it or just keep using the discs. Thanks for the input.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
You can load the rear tires yourself, very easy to do, lot's of info here and on youtube. Congrats on the new tractor. Good advice keeping the loader low.

Thanks, I will check into it before I get too far along.

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.
Welcome to the world of Orange! YouTube will have many videos on tractor operation.You must filter the good from the bad on occasion. Mostly , you may learn what not to do! Common sense and pucker factor will get you home most days. Good luck!