New tiller

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
The DW has been mentioning that we should get a tiller for the bx. Finally decided that i guess we might as well. Guess i will be tilling gardens this spring. The local massey dealer carries Taylor-Way. Told him i would take the 923-xb. 48" built for subcompacts. Go pick it up tomorrow. I will have to fund a spot in the yard that well need tilled. :) didn't think $1,325.00 was too bad of a price.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good on you!! Just remember when doing new ground to take it slow, by that I mean just drop the tines down to take off the top inch or so, that gets the grass up and you can rake it up and get rid of it, the drop down 2 or 3 inches and let it dig go slow new ground does not give it self up easy. Make a couple passes and then sump it in going slow,,, let the tiller do the work and after a few passes,, you gona have some good dirt:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good on you!! Just remember when doing new ground to take it slow, by that I mean just drop the tines down to take off the top inch or so, that gets the grass up and you can rake it up and get rid of it, the drop down 2 or 3 inches and let it dig go slow new ground does not give it self up easy. Make a couple passes and then sump it in going slow,,, let the tiller do the work and after a few passes,, you gona have some good dirt:D
then you get to find all them thar rocks too!!!! :eek::eek:
i am finding rocks every year, i think they GROW in the soil !:D:D

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Got it home. Nice unit. Only problem i have is the pto. This photo was taken with the tiller on the ground. Longest distance of pto length until it goes in the ground. As you can see the pto is way to long. The is 7" between the u-joint flanges. The is not any directions or owners manual included. Using the King Kutter owners manual for their subcompact which I believe is the same unit, it says there should be no less than 6 inches of overlap once cut and you're supposed to cut the pto shaft 3 inches short of the flange of the shield for the ujoint. I will be emailing the company, but i don't know what can be done. I didn't think the BX 2350 arms were that much shorter than standard. Any thoughts without adding a quick hitch.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Well, by the measuring logic they are using, you'd need a minimum of 12" between the flanges to have a PTO that passes muster. Do you have a foot of distance there?

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Here is a better photo.

This measures 9 1/2" to the main part of the flange I measured 7 to the small part of the flange. I lose 2 inches total when I raise the tailor to its highest position. If I maintain a minimum six inch overlap I would probably need to attached my PTO prior to hooking up the lower control arms.

I pulled off both PTO shafts halfs, measured from the pin of the PTO on the tiller to the center line of the pins for the PTO hook up and I measured from the end of the PTO on the tractor to the center line of 3 point Arms. That dimension is 25 inches overall. Overall length of the PTO shaft when fully compressed is from the pin to the end is 31 inches. This gives me 6 inches I would need to cut off of the PTO minimum if its bottomed out. If I add 2 inches to that that means 8 inches off each side of the PTO shaft. 6 inch overlap would be 6 inches at best.

Last edited: