New Question for loading tires

limatime

Equipment
2006 L2800, FEL, box blade, 60 in bush hog
Apr 19, 2012
Mount Aukum, CA
According to my calculations, using reference charts from this site, my L2800 will take close to 60 gallons of anti-freeze, between front and back tires. I am in Northern Calif, at 2100 feet. Do i need to use that much anti-freeze or can I get away with half that and water for the rest? Or can i do half now and half late?

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
You will know more about your climate than we will, but I run straight water. Some tires have had fluid for over 20 years that I know of, and have not had any issues. We get below freezing during the winter, but only in short periods overnight. We got 3 inches of snow as late as April this year, but it never stays below freezing for even 24 hours. I'm at about 2700 feet further south.

10% ethylene glycol gives protection to about 25 degrees Fahrenheit. 25% protects down to around 10 degrees F. I use tubes in all of mine so there is no issue, but if I didn't, I would like the anticorrosion properties of having at least some antifreeze in solution.

Ethylene glycol is a bit heavier than water. Propylene glycol has a little bit less freezing protection and weighs about the same as water.

Using calcium chloride adds more weight, and has good freezing protection, too.

limatime

Equipment
Apr 19, 2012
Mount Aukum, CA
I just bought 5 acres in Mount Aukum, just outside of Placerville, in April this year. I don't know the winters too well yet, but i know gets cold and snow doesn't stay stick for long. We wanted to stay below the snowline.

Glad to know someone thinks its ok to not use. Straight anti freeze, pretty pricey. Especially as i have no way to deal with a 55 gallon drum.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I hear on the cheap side you can buy a bottle of windshield washer fluid concentrate. Atleast you'll have a little protection from the cold, it never hurts!

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
I would ask a local tractor shop, or nursery, how cold and hard the freezes get. Guessing, I would think 3 gallons per rear tire would give more than enough protection, and you could split a gallon between the fronts, or put a gallon in apiece or whatever.

It looks like the rears take about 30 gallons apiece and the fronts about 7 gallons of water. 10 percent by volume would probably be fine for freezing protection, and shouldn't be too expensive. More is better, really, so the determining factor may be how much you feel like spending.

Last edited:

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I would ask a local tractor shop, or nursery, how cold and hard the freezes get. Guessing, I would think 3 gallons per rear tire would give more than enough protection, and you could split a gallon between the fronts, or put a gallon in apiece or whatever.

It looks like the rears take about 30 gallons apiece and the fronts about 7 gallons of water. 10 percent by volume would probably be fine for freezing protection, and shouldn't be too expensive. More is better, really, so the determining factor may be how much you feel like spending.
Asking the local tractor shop or tire dealer that services tractors is the best advise period. Even though in some places it may not get to cold for to long wind chill has to be taken into consideration. Anything that holds liquid just like our human bodies is effected by wind chill. Every border line tire I've seen that actually got slushy or frozen had been sitting outside in a place where the wind blew directly at around or by it every time.
Al

limatime

Equipment
Apr 19, 2012
Mount Aukum, CA
Trying to maximize every dollar to justify the Kubota. Has anyone tried RV or Plumbers Anti-freeze, used for winterizing your RV or home? It is only half the price of regular anti-freeze, and it is good up to -50 degrees.

Antifreeze/Coolant Splash - RV/Marine Antifreeze
Part # RV
Line: AFZ

For Pricing and Availability, enter your zip code. Show Stores

Click Image to Enlarge

Product Details

Compatibility
Antifreeze/Coolant Splash - RV/Marine Antifreeze
Part Number: RV
Line: AFZ

* manufacturer's defect warranty
* UPC: 51223001015
* Gallon

Detailed Description

Guaranteed Burst-Proof Protection to -50F When used Full Strength

Splash RV Antifreeze is safe to brass, mild steel, copper and all plastics (except acetate). Splash propylene glycol antifreeze is formulated protect to -50F burst temperature although some slush formulation is normal. This product is considered GRAS (Generaly Regarded As Safe) by the Food and Drug Administration. Use for winterizing swimming pools, boats, recreational vehicles, campers,and vacation homes.