New Poster & New Owner PTO question

Doodah

Equipment
L185DT
Jul 8, 2012
Ocean Springs, MS
Hello to all. First time to post to the masses that are OrangeTractorTalks.

For the last 5-6 years I have been looking to buy a small tractor, but telling myself “Self, you don’t need a tractor, you just want one.” And Self would kinda mope a little, then grudgingly agree.

But now that I plan to build a house, and have to clear a space on my land to put said house, I jumped off and bought one. A L185DT w/ FEL and bush hog from the original owner. I am not sure of the make of the loader, but I’m almost positive the bush hog was home made. Owner had recently painted the whole tractor and attachments. Did a real good job, even got the data plates and stickers. He threw in a 1964 dual axle trailer to boot. The trailer for its age is in great shape (and Orange). I also purchased a Big Bee 60” finish mower. It is about 10 years old, but it is in good shape. Replaced the belt, the alemites and away we go.

Sorry for rambling, but I am just pickled tink at finding this tractor. So far everything on it seems to work fine and have nothing to complain about. I am getting the filters and fluids together and plan to do a service.

On to the question. The tractor has three PTO speeds. The attachments have no informational stickers. How do I know what PTO gear to run which attachment? I have been experimenting, but before I experiment something into a broken state, figured I’d ask the those in the know.

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
Hello to all. First time to post to the masses that are OrangeTractorTalks.

For the last 5-6 years I have been looking to buy a small tractor, but telling myself “Self, you don’t need a tractor, you just want one.” And Self would kinda mope a little, then grudgingly agree.

But now that I plan to build a house, and have to clear a space on my land to put said house, I jumped off and bought one. A L185DT w/ FEL and bush hog from the original owner. I am not sure of the make of the loader, but I’m almost positive the bush hog was home made. Owner had recently painted the whole tractor and attachments. Did a real good job, even got the data plates and stickers. He threw in a 1964 dual axle trailer to boot. The trailer for its age is in great shape (and Orange). I also purchased a Big Bee 60” finish mower. It is about 10 years old, but it is in good shape. Replaced the belt, the alemites and away we go.

Sorry for rambling, but I am just pickled tink at finding this tractor. So far everything on it seems to work fine and have nothing to complain about. I am getting the filters and fluids together and plan to do a service.

On to the question. The tractor has three PTO speeds. The attachments have no informational stickers. How do I know what PTO gear to run which attachment? I have been experimenting, but before I experiment something into a broken state, figured I’d ask the those in the know.
Most implements use 540 RPM's which should be option "1" on the PTO selector.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
YES first gear on the PTO is about 540 rpm and the common speed for all attatchments. I had asked a while back what the other 2 might be used for and it was pointed out to me that maybe if you want to run a generator but dont want to reve the engine up high you could kick the pto into a higher gear, maintain a higher rpm out the pto but keep the engine down low.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Caveat: I don't know your machine but have found the following to be correct in general considering several brands and paint colors...

Three position PTOs will generally be one of the following:

1. Rear only, midmount only, both

2. Rear 540, Rear 1000, GroundSpeed related to how fast tires are turning.

I suspect your Kubota will be pattern #1.

Find Owner's Manual perhaps at KubotaBooks.Com or otherwise obtain one from dealer. You need the Manual. Cheap peace of mind for little things like changing oil (example: you have two drain plugs due to segmented pan).

Doodah

Equipment
L185DT
Jul 8, 2012
Ocean Springs, MS
Thank you Profnohair, Eric, and Stubbyie for responding and appreciate your feedback. I have relegated myself to using the 1 position for my implements under your advisement, even though that homemade bush-hog does sound cool running on 3. Thank you again gentlemen.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT, Doodah, and a photo or two of that bushog would appease some curiosity that I, and I am sure others, have.

Doodah

Equipment
L185DT
Jul 8, 2012
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: KubotaBooks.Com still online

Stubbyie, thanks. Got it. Must not have been holding my mouth right when I tried to get to it the first time.

Sledge

Equipment
B7001, Big B 4ft topper
Sep 17, 2012
Gloucestershire UK
YES first gear on the PTO is about 540 rpm and the common speed for all attatchments. I had asked a while back what the other 2 might be used for and it was pointed out to me that maybe if you want to run a generator but dont want to reve the engine up high you could kick the pto into a higher gear, maintain a higher rpm out the pto but keep the engine down low.
Aha! Now, I've watched Vic's video on ptos and his warning only to ever use the first setting with mowers etc, but the above also occurred to me - select 2 and drop the engine revs, save fuel - diesel's not cheap over here :(

(Actually, as mentioned elsewhere, I have no rev counter so am going by gut feeling as to correct engine speed - more guesswork would be needed but I reckon it makes sense)