New Owner L3901

whitby13

Equipment
L3901, LA525 FEL, Bush Hog
Nov 11, 2015
Franklin, TN
New L3901, FEL, bush hog just arrived Monday.
Of course with the time change it gets dark before 5PM so wont be able to get out and use it till the weekend.
First task, cut an overgrown 4 acre field.

Attachments

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Congratulations, you are gonna love it.

I have the smaller brother to yours and am constantly amazed by its capabilities.

Don't you just hate the waiting?:D

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Welcome to the OTT. I think you are going to like your L3901. I have around 90 hours on mine. I have had it since 16-Dec-2014. Waiting is a hard thing to do when you have a new tractor.

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
Welcome to OTT. Your going to love your new toy . I love mine. Got mine August 1, have 80 hrs on it.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Congratulations! You are going to enjoy it. Got mine last October and have 200 hrs on it. May consider taking the bucket off at the quick attach before bush hogging, makes for a MUCH smoother ride and probably will save your hyd. cylinders some uneeded wear and tare.

whitby13

Equipment
L3901, LA525 FEL, Bush Hog
Nov 11, 2015
Franklin, TN
See pic from the weekend. Used the FEL to help push down brush before cutting.
Tons of blackberry thorns, that was fun.
Tractor is awesome! good ride. gas consumption was decent. got about 8 hrs to a full tank.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
whitby13, nice machine and welcome.

Don't use the word GAS when describing fuel consumption. You use the word enough and sooner or later someone will put some GAS in it. Just a word of caution.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Whitby,, dude that looks to some super cover for wabbits and birds

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
whitby13, just don't make the mistake I made yesterday morning. After 500,000+ miles driving a diesel (862 fill ups), I stopped at a BP (have filled up here before) and grabbed the green nozzle. I put 1.8 gallons of gas in my tank before I noticed I was putting gas in my diesel tank. Rolled the vehicle out of the way and called a tow truck. Don't know what this is going to cost me, I'm just glad I notice, stopped filling and didn't start it. It would be nice if it was a standard that green nozzles are diesel and black was gas.

Looks like your tractor and rotary cutter are doing a great job!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
mdhughes, how big is your truck tank? 1.8 gallons is going to dilute down to a pretty small percentage by the time you fill the tank.

Back in the day, Volkswagen recommended a 10% gasoline added to diesel to keep the fuel to flow in the winter. Fuel pumps may be closer tolerances, but I've made similar mistakes. If the ratios of gas to diesel is small, I keep on going!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
This was in my 2010 Jetta, the tank is only 14 gallons and the high pressure pump doesn't like anything but diesel. If the pump lets go you are looking a replacing the pump, common rail, injector lines and injectors. On one of the Jetta TDI forums I use to read there was a couple threads about people putting gas in their Jetta and it costing over $5,000 to have it fixed. Didn't want to take the chance.

I wish that they could still use the old diesel engines on the VWs, you could burn almost anything in them.

If it would have been in my Ram, I would have just filled it up with diesel, The tank on it is 38 gallons.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
This was in my 2010 Jetta, the tank is only 14 gallons and the high pressure pump doesn't like anything but diesel. If the pump lets go you are looking a replacing the pump, common rail, injector lines and injectors. On one of the Jetta TDI forums I use to read there was a couple threads about people putting gas in their Jetta and it costing over $5,000 to have it fixed. Didn't want to take the chance.

I wish that they could still use the old diesel engines on the VWs, you could burn almost anything in them.

If it would have been in my Ram, I would have just filled it up with diesel, The tank on it is 38 gallons.
IMHO that is a bunch of milarky that these folks need $5,000 in repair. repair shops must have Gouged those poor folk. Yes the pumps need an "oil" to lubricate them. So if you catch it early and don't drive on the petrol much; if any... then siphon out the Petrol. Replace with diesel that is premixed with a pint to a quart of vegetable oil as extra lubricant. If you want extra protection then pull a fuel line at the filter and use a vacuum bleeder or similar pump to pull some of the mix up thru the fuel line thus removing any Petrol in the lines. Replace fuel filter to remove any petrol from that....... or drain it. Then drive.

Now if you catch it early and only get a gallon or two in the tank.... then you probably don't have to worry about the siphon..... just do the rest .. especially the addition of a lubricant. Suggest you help the oil mix well with the petrol though. Say put a hose thru the filler tube and well into the tank. Use compressed air to blow thru the hose to bubble mix the oil well with any remaining petrol in the tank.

Granted Veg. Oil would not be advised in the winter due to gelling of the Veg oil issue. you'ld need some other type of oil for extra lubricant that won't gell so easy. Maybe a tad bit of Auto Tranny fluid? Maybe Marvel Mystery Oil? Or Maybe some type of diesel fuel supplement that says it lubricates the system?

Been there... done that with VW TDI Golf. Pump lasted another 5 years before needing replaced at around 250,000 miles.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
"If it would have been in my Ram, I would have just filled it up with diesel, The tank on it is 38 gallons."

That's what I was thinking!

The old systems were so much simpler. I have a 6.9 in an '84 Ford that I made a blend of used motor oil and diesel (depending on the ambient temperature) and leave in the rear tank. Start on front tank, warm engine, switch to rear and run all day, switch back to front tank 8-10 miles from home. Sucker runs on anything but water (and ATF)!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have a bud that runs an old ford diesel and goes around the local bars picking up the used cooking oil,, and no he doesnt do anything just pumps it through a couple filters and dumps it in,,,, I hate when he stops over ,, cause I have to run to McD's for frys

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Try 10-12K for a new Super Duty. The high pressure fuel pump has such tight tolerances that gas or DEF will be sending metal through the system. As far as I know all the T4 (L3901) are running the same common rail high pressure type of system. Check for water in fuel and change your filters regularly.