New member here, B2601 purchased yesterday

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum, I just picked up a used 2016 B2601 w/ FEL with 100 hours and I think I am going to like it. The tractor has 60" quick disconnect FEL, engine block heater, quick hitch 3pt thing-a-ma-jig (not sure of correct terms here haha), rear box blade, and a rear blade (that can angle)... all attachments are Land Pride and in great shape. I read a lot on here before making the purchase and even though I would have preferred it had been a 2650, I think this 2601 should do the trick for me. I only have 4 acres and just have a smaller garden so I can't imagine too many times I'll be limited by its capabilities.

I paid $13k for it, how did I do price-wise? Seemed good based on everything I read in the short time I had to research it (found and bought it within 24 hours).

A few other questions not related to price if you guys don't mind... when should I do an oil change? It has 100 hours on it currently and I am not sure if it was already changed. Seems like cheap insurance to just go ahead and change it right?

Last question... I don't have any ROPS lights (besides orange blinker/flashers)... suggestions on what to pick up?

Last edited:

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Congrats on the new toys. Sounds like a deal to me price wise. If u wonder any at all on the servicing of it, go ahead & do it yourself. Like you said, very cheap insurance & will give u peace of mind knowing it’s been done for sure. I think the hydro filters & maybe all the filters from factory are a different color than the ones u buy & change from Kubota dealer. I’d change em all if it was new to me & I questioned anything about it being serviced in the past

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
I second what beaudeane said, as for as Rops lights are concerned do a search and you'll find a ton of info. I went the lazy way and bought my lights from Rops light.com, it's plug and play! Sounds like you got a great deal on your b2601 you will enjoy it, great work horse

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome, and congratulations!
Change the oil. Start out with a history established by you. It's cheap security, in the long run.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I second Hodge. Change all your fluids and filters and start fresh. Then it also gives you an opportunity to get familiar with the machine.

They are a rock-solid dependable machine. You will be very happy with it.

JustinB60

Equipment
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Thanks fella's!

Anyplace you guys recommend for picking up the filters I should be replacing (hydraulic, oil, trans, fuel)? Also in the manual it seems to imply that I can remove these filters independently of draining/replacing the fluid... is that true? I don't see how this is possible, I'm use to changing filters on cars where all the fluid would come out if you removed a filter.

JustinB60

Equipment
Mar 31, 2018
USA
I second what beaudeane said, as for as Rops lights are concerned do a search and you'll find a ton of info. I went the lazy way and bought my lights from Rops light.com, it's plug and play! Sounds like you got a great deal on your b2601 you will enjoy it, great work horse
Thanks, I like the ROPs lights options, maybe I'll go that route.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I guess you didn't get it from a dealer? That's a pretty good price if you did. And since it's so new it's still under warranty and the warranty is transferable to you...you need a dealer to do that.
Sounds like you did great. Did the previous owner do the service himself or does he have records from a dealer?
Hopefully the 50 hour was done because that is the critical one to get rid of all of the break in oil...along with metal shavings.
I would go ahead and do the 100 hour maintenance unless you are sure it has been done.

Last edited:

JustinB60

Equipment
Mar 31, 2018
USA
I guess you didn't get it from a dealer? That's a pretty good price if you did. And since it's so new it's still under warranty and the warranty is transferable to you...you need a dealer to do that.
Sounds like you did great. Did the previous owner do the service himself or does he have records from a dealer?
Hopefully the 50 hour was done because that is the critical one to get rid of all of the break in oil...along with metal shavings.
I would go ahead and do the 100 hour maintenance unless you are sure it has been done.
No I didnt get it from a dealer. I'm planning on doing the 100 hour so that should take care of everything. Is there a way for me to tell if he did the 50 hour? For example is there a different color additive to the oil or certain filter colors that change when the filter is changed?

Also can the filters (hydraulic and oil) be changed without the fluid being changed? The manual seems to suggest that its possible when it just walks you through changing the filters... that seems odd though.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ask the person you bought it from which dealer he got it from. Take the serial number off it and go to that dealer or if not conveniently located, another Kubota dealer that you think you might like to work with if needed. They may have its service record. Your tractor may still be under warranty, and if there are any recalls Kubota needs your contact information. You will want to start off by buying Kubota filters and fluids for it, and that might be a good way to size up the dealer and make acquantance in case you need something. Also look for operators and shop manuals if they didn't come with the tractor.

Yes you can tell if the filters have been changed. Factory are grey, and the new ones another color, and most people write the date changed on them.

Yes the filters can be changed without draining fluids completely, but a little messy. Depends on tractor, someone with 26o1 can help.

JustinB60

Equipment
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Yes you can tell if the filters have been changed. Factory are grey, and the new ones another color, and most people write the date changed on them.

Yes the filters can be changed without draining fluids completely, but a little messy. Depends on tractor, someone with 26o1 can help.
I do know the dealer the tractor was originally bought from, one of their dealer locations is just down the road from me so I will visit them tomorrow and try to get some information on any service history at the dealer. I am also going to text the previous owner to ask him about service history as well.

The good news is I just checked the engine oil filter and the HST oil filter and they are white.... although the hydraulic fluid filter appears to be gray. The fluids all appear super clean, engine oil is incredibly clean too. This gives me the impression that the guy did the 50 hour himself (not dealer) and just didn't replace hydraulic filter. If that story matches up with what I learn from previous owner and dealer tomorrow then I will swap all engine oil and hydraulic fluids and filters (grease points,etc) and then I'll be sure everything is up to 100 hour maintenance level.

Thanks for the help everyone!

JustinB60

Equipment
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Nice tractor! I've got the same unit but w/backhoe and MMM.It has been a great machine so far. I attached what I did for a light set up to give you some ideas.
Thanks for the ideas! I think I’m going to get some hours on the tractor to get a better feel for how much night time operation I can expect before I jump into the light game fully... I was really amped up when I first got it to accessorize but I think I need to pump he brakes a bit first haha.

For now I bought a blazer LED magnetic work light that will plug right into 12v accessory plug by cup holder, seems like it’ll work for tooling around the yard for now but I’ll need to upgrade to something closer to what you have eventually. Here is a link to what I bought, seems pretty bright and sticks to ROPS well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006STTM9...=856QJCZMB415&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 I got it from another website for $33, so not a huge investment that’ll buy me some time.

Thanks again!