New L3301 HST clanking noise

rome64

Equipment
L3301
Jun 8, 2020
Kansas
Hello all.

I am new to tractors in general and I just purchased a L3301 with a HST transmission. I'll drive right into it... I purchased the tractor and it was delivered ilwith 6 hours on the meter. It runs great but now after 10 hours of brush hogging in 3 days, I noticed a clanking noise coming from below the seat. I never noticed it before and it is at times kind of loud. now I'm extremely concerned/paranoid as these things are not cheap. I sent a video to the dealership and he said it is normal. With my decent knowledge of maintenance, I feel that there is something wrong "kind of". The tractor operates as it did with 6 hours perfect. I'm just concerned I may have caused internal damage. The only thing I could think of that I did wrong is engage and dissengage the tpo at too high of rpms during the 10ish hours of cutting grass. The noise is a clank and is most noticable at idle. If you rev the engine slowly the clank speeds up in rythm until it's drowned out by engine noise. When at idle and at peak of noise, if I press the clutch the "clank" goes away. While cutting with the rotary cutter the clank is not present. What are your thoughts? Is normal and I am just paranoid or does it sound like something is not quite right?

Thank you guys and gals.

View the video at the link below.

Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Hello all.

I am new to tractors in general and I just purchased a L3301 with a HST transmission. I'll drive right into it... I purchased the tractor and it was delivered ilwith 6 hours on the meter. It runs great but now after 10 hours of brush hogging in 3 days, I noticed a clanking noise coming from below the seat. I never noticed it before and it is at times kind of loud. now I'm extremely concerned/paranoid as these things are not cheap. I sent a video to the dealership and he said it is normal. With my decent knowledge of maintenance, I feel that there is something wrong "kind of". The tractor operates as it did with 6 hours perfect. I'm just concerned I may have caused internal damage. The only thing I could think of that I did wrong is engage and dissengage the tpo at too high of rpms during the 10ish hours of cutting grass. The noise is a clank and is most noticable at idle. If you rev the engine slowly the clank speeds up in rythm until it's drowned out by engine noise. When at idle and at peak of noise, if I press the clutch the "clank" goes away. While cutting with the rotary cutter the clank is not present. What is your thoughts? Is normal and I am just paranoid or does it sound like something is not quite right?

Just a quick question, have you checked the hydraulic fluid level using the dipstick in the middle of the floor.

rome64

Equipment
L3301
Jun 8, 2020
Kansas
Just a quick question, have you checked the hydraulic fluid level using the dipstick in the middle of the floor.
I have. It's soo hard to tell because the fluid is clear but from the wet marks it is completely full.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
How high of rpm were you engaging the mower at? My tractor is the previous model to yours and does not sound like that.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Between 1500 - 2000
Little high in my opinion. I engage mine at idle then run it up to pto speed. Mine is gear drive so I got a foot pedal for the throttle which makes it a little easier to control, but Ive never driven a hst tractor. Not sure if you damaged it by engaging that high, but I would say it’s definitely not normal, little over 300 hours on mine and it doesn’t do that.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Between 1500 - 2000

That is a big no no. Always engage the pto at an idle or just above an idle. Far as the noise goes, don't have a clue, sounds like a throwout bearing. I would not get concerned, it is under warranty. Run it and if it breaks, let the dealer deal with it. Just don't engage the pto above an idle, very hard on the pto clutch pack.

rome64

Equipment
L3301
Jun 8, 2020
Kansas
Little high in my opinion. I engage mine at idle then run it up to pto speed. Mine is gear drive so I got a foot pedal for the throttle which makes it a little easier to control, but Ive never driven a hst tractor. Not sure if you damaged it by engaging that high, but I would say it’s definitely not normal, little over 300 hours on mine and it doesn’t do that.
I
That is a big no no. Always engage the pto at an idle or just above an idle. Far as the noise goes, don't have a clue, sounds like a throwout bearing. I would not get concerned, it is under warranty. Run it and if it breaks, let the dealer deal with it. Just don't engage the pto above an idle, very hard on the pto clutch pack.
It's been a learning experience. Lesson learned. I have been engaging at idle and slowly bring it up to operating speed. Thanks for the advice.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Rome64, Welcome to the Forums!
It’s a silly thing we sometimes do.... spend $25-$30K on a toy and not completely read the Owner/Operator Manual before we jump on it and go.... Those manuals are full of good words including engaging the PTO at low speeds only. ;)

rome64

Equipment
L3301
Jun 8, 2020
Kansas
Rome64, Welcome to the Forums!
It’s a silly thing we sometimes do.... spend $25-$30K on a toy and not completely read the Owner/Operator Manual before we jump on it and go.... Those manuals are full of good words including engaging the PTO at low speeds only. ;)
You are 100% correct. Funny thing is I read the manual for the most part and didn't see that in it. I'm not saying it's not in there but I must have skimmed over it. I'm usually very proactive in learning before jumping into something. It looks like I'll pay for my mistakes.

Thanks for the input.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Hopefully some 3301 owners will see this and chime in, I think there may have been another thread sometime ago with something similar on a 3301 or 3901. I am in a little different world, but its under warranty so take it in and get it looked at. Let the dealer/kubota determine if it was a defect or use/abuse (play dumb if they ask questions 🤣) If all else fails is the machine financed and have the kubota insurance? If they can prove beyond reasonable doubt its not a defect but from abuse then the insurance should cover minus your deductible.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Another thing I noticed in your video was the loader pins. Are they greased? I realize its a new machine and you maybe more meticulous then me, but they look a little dry?

rome64

Equipment
L3301
Jun 8, 2020
Kansas
Hopefully some 3301 owners will see this and chime in, I think there may have been another thread sometime ago with something similar on a 3301 or 3901. I am in a little different world, but its under warranty so take it in and get it looked at. Let the dealer/kubota determine if it was a defect or use/abuse (play dumb if they ask questions 🤣) If all else fails is the machine financed and have the kubota insurance? If they can prove beyond reasonable doubt its not a defect but from abuse then the insurance should cover minus your deductible.
Yes, it's insured by Kubota. The thing is I sent the video to my Kubota dealer and they said it sounds normal and to keep using it as normal. I guess the only option I have is to keep using it and if something falls take it to the dealership. Im in the same mindset as you. Thanks man.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
there is a long delay between power pulses developed by the engine (it is only 3 cylinders). There is some slack in the geartrain. The delay allows the slack in the geartrain to "slow down" a little until another cylinder fires off, then the shafts are accelerated and the slack between the gears, splines, shafts is taken up, and that's when you hear the noise. It is usually most noticable at idle or just above idle.

Question. Are you using the clutch to engage the pto or no?

rome64

Equipment
L3301
Jun 8, 2020
Kansas
there is a long delay between power pulses developed by the engine (it is only 3 cylinders). There is some slack in the geartrain. The delay allows the slack in the geartrain to "slow down" a little until another cylinder fires off, then the shafts are accelerated and the slack between the gears, splines, shafts is taken up, and that's when you hear the noise. It is usually most noticable at idle or just above idle.

Question. Are you using the clutch to engage the pto or no?
Yes every time I engage the PTO I use the clutch.

rome64

Equipment
L3301
Jun 8, 2020
Kansas
Yes every time I engage the PTO I use the clutch. Does it require adjustment or repair? Can I continue using at like this?
Of course it's not a normal thing but does it sound like I demand the dealership to look it or can I just keep using it?

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yes, it's insured by Kubota. The thing is I sent the video to my Kubota dealer and they said it sounds normal and to keep using it as normal. I guess the only option I have is to keep using it and if something falls take it to the dealership. Im in the same mindset as you. Thanks man.
“If wishes were horses... then beggars would ride ...”

The Kubota dealer has made the sale, got his money, and Wishes never to see it again except to sell new product and services. They certainly don’t wish to perform warranty -repairs at the reduced labor-rate Kubota reimburses. It could likely be hammering-away and it’d not upset them as they hope it’ll go away or you’ll accept it as normal. I can’t get the video to play so cannot listen to it...
A new tractor should have tight clearances and No Clanking should be going on, IMO.

Last edited:

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
Of course it's not a normal thing but does it sound like I demand the dealership to look it or can I just keep using it?
Hello all.

I am new to tractors in general and I just purchased a L3301 with a HST transmission. I'll drive right into it... I purchased the tractor and it was delivered ilwith 6 hours on the meter. It runs great but now after 10 hours of brush hogging in 3 days, I noticed a clanking noise coming from below the seat. I never noticed it before and it is at times kind of loud. now I'm extremely concerned/paranoid as these things are not cheap. I sent a video to the dealership and he said it is normal. With my decent knowledge of maintenance, I feel that there is something wrong "kind of". The tractor operates as it did with 6 hours perfect. I'm just concerned I may have caused internal damage. The only thing I could think of that I did wrong is engage and dissengage the tpo at too high of rpms during the 10ish hours of cutting grass. The noise is a clank and is most noticable at idle. If you rev the engine slowly the clank speeds up in rythm until it's drowned out by engine noise. When at idle and at peak of noise, if I press the clutch the "clank" goes away. While cutting with the rotary cutter the clank is not present. What are your thoughts? Is normal and I am just paranoid or does it sound like something is not quite right?

Thank you guys and gals.

“If wishes were horses... then beggars would ride ...”

The Kubota dealer has made the sale, got his money, and Wishes never to see it again except to sell new product and services. They certainly don’t wish to perform warranty -repairs at the reduced labor-rate Kubota reimburses. It could likely be hammering-away and it’d not upset them as they hope it’ll go away or you’ll accept it as normal. I can’t get the video to play so cannot listen to it...
A new tractor should have tight clearances and No Clanking should be going on, IMO.
Sounds like it could be the PTO engagement cable may need adjustment. Does the sound goes away when the PTO is engaged. Try the PTO with the mower unhooked and see if your noise goes away. lighty lube the PTO arm release spring under the seat where the cable hooks on. If the noise does go away with the PTO engaged then adjust the cable. Get a WSM and it will explain the adjustment.