New L2501

Geotech

Equipment
L2501, LP RCF2060 Rotary Cutter, LP BB1560 Box Blade, LP 0660 Grapple, LP QH10
Nov 22, 2018
Arlington
Just bought this new L2501 and wanted to share what kind of deal I got and how I came to my decision. I've read lots of useful information on internet forums and wanted to share back so someone else in my situation has some more info to chew on.

I will say that I strongly considered Kioti and Deere. At one point, I was 90 percent sure I was going to buy a tractor of each of these three brands. I was initially set on a Kioti CK3510SE. Then started looking at Deere. For whatever reason, the 3025e looked about as sensible as the two larger HP tractors on the same frame. I had to have a conversation with myself and ask if I really needed the 35 HP machine considering I am not mowing grass. I'm mostly clearing underbrush on a heavily treed tract and doing a lot of loader work. After re-calibrating myself to the 25 HP machines, the Kioti no longer appealed to me as much for whatever reason. The Deere, though there is a lot to like (including the plastic hood and fenders IMO), was just too lightweight compared to everything else on the market. The Deere also has the most anemic loader with only one movement (lift or curl) available at a time. Kioti has the strongest loader...but it was pretty jerky and Kioti only publishes the lift capacity at 1.5 meters off the ground (about 1800 lbs). Kubota publishes the full height at about 1100 lbs and is about 1400 lbs at 1.5 meters. So they are much closer than appears on the surface, with the edge still going to Kioti. Given the closer parity on the lift, I like the smoothness of the Kubota better. The Land Pride third function on this thing is nice too. With a grapple, it will open/close the grapple, curl and lift - all at the same time! I verified this hours ago on the demo machine on the lot. It's no speed demon when activating all three functions at once, but it IS the bee's knees.

I will further add that I considered LS, but was turned off when a model on the lot would not idle up correctly when I was trying to test it. Salesman couldn't figure it out either. Probably a one in a million fluke, and I do love that blue color, but I just couldn't look past that occurrence. I considered Branson as they are truly the most bang for the buck on paper - perhaps in the field too for all I know. However, I found that the price difference on the 15 series tractors (closest comp to the family of tractors I was shopping) was just not big enough to overcome my wariness about getting into the brand, despite its weight and lift capacity advantages. Finally, the Kubota dealer was best at quoting me, following up, and seemed to know his tractors the best of all the sales guys I had spoken to. At the end of the day, Kubota won me away from Kioti. Kioti has a very strong value proposition - especially tractor to tractor. However, although the price gap doesn't completely close, if you are looking at a tractor/implement package, the distance becomes a LOT closer with the implement rebates Kubota gives on Land Pride. Plus, Land Pride has a great grapple and it is very convenient to wrap that into the package rather than parse it out separately. I was not thrilled at the idea of needing to order the grapple separately from EA and not be able to use my tractor for 90 percent of its planned usage for yet another couple months - even considering how awesome their grapple is.

The price difference on my new Kubota L2501 package is within $1400 of the Kioti CK2610 from a comparably nearby dealer with all Kioti (Woods) and/or EA implements. I feel the comparison between Land Pride, Woods and EA are very close with a slight edge going to different brands depending on the implement.

Okay, so here is the price I paid: Decided to put $5,000 down and 84 months at 1.99 percent. Total payment with KTAC is $290.00. Sales price before taxes was $25,000.

Here is the package:

L2501 4x4 HST with Cruise and R4 tires
Loader with SSQA bucket
Land Pride RCF2060 5' Rotary Cutter (2 inch cutting capacity)
Land Pride BB1560 5' Heavy Box Blade (428 lbs)
Land Pride 3rd Function Valve installed
Land Pride SG0660 Light Duty Claw Grapple
Land Pride QH10 quick hitch
Right side grab handle
Kubota Bucket Level Indicator
Water and Antifreeze in tires

Entire package to be delivered in about a week or two. No problem there as I need to get my shipping container garage delivered to park it inside. No pics since the actual tractor with the correct tires is at the dealer's other location from where I test drove today. This thing is beautiful! Fit and finish is superb and I am just tickled to have ended up with the benchmark for other brands. I can't help it, there is some value to the brand for me.

While I was there, I tested an L3901 because the grapple was mounted on that machine. I have read numerous places that the tractors with DPF filters are quieter than the L2501. I did not find this to be the case. The L2501 had a throatier exhaust note compared to the L3901 at the same RPM (about 2000). BUT, the L3901 operates at a higher RPM and I found it to be louder and higher pitched (obviously it will be higher pitched at higher RPM) than the L2501 at its operating RPM. Not that the L3901 sounded bad or overly loud, but I do like the exhaust note of the L2501 better. I really can't tell if I am being biased toward my own purchase though. NEITHER tractor are particularly loud. HST wine is high when under stress such as when just taking off in high gear, but not otherwise. I did not have an opportunity to put it under load in low or medium gear, but I expect whine will pick up as I am diving into a pile of dirt or some other load situation.

Will post some pics after I take delivery.

AuburnAlum

Equipment
L2501 HST
Dec 27, 2015
Calahaln, NC
Congratulations on the new tractor! Your process and thoughts were the same as mine. Your implements some are the same. I love this tractor! The only thing I added was top-n-tilt as I want to cut some ditches and some other applications with it. Enjoy!

Geotech

Equipment
Nov 22, 2018
Arlington
AuburnAlumn,

You have a very nice setup. I'd love to have the top and tilt, but I think my box blade will act mostly as a ballast and not be in the ground that often. Just didn't want to buy a ballast box with no other function. That's why I got the slightly heavier box. Heck, the rotary cutter is a better ballast, but not as maneuverable in the woods. I also considered getting the bigger grapple. I was afraid it would make the tractor too front heavy, but I have noticed some, such as yourself, have put it on the L2501. I like the deeper tines that yours has much better than the 660. But I decided that I'd get a piranha bar to handle that sort of stuff instead. Can't wait to take delivery and putz around with it.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
The OP might find more ballast (like 2x more) would help with loader work.

I shared the same thoughts on a ballast box serving minimal function. But after purchasing one and filling it with a significant number of input shafts and other metal with sand to take up the free space, it is a very valuable in doing loader work. Also is very functional in carrying hand tools, chains, etc.

My neighbor shared similar thoughts until I hooked up my ballast box to his tractor for a few days to try. He ended up buying one immediately.

400lbs is note much ballast in my experience.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
Congrats on the new tractor. You will love it, the 2501 is very capable, sounds like you got a great deal too. Enjoy

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
The OP might find more ballast (like 2x more) would help with loader work.

I shared the same thoughts on a ballast box serving minimal function. But after purchasing one and filling it with a significant number of input shafts and other metal with sand to take up the free space, it is a very valuable in doing loader work. Also is very functional in carrying hand tools, chains, etc.

My neighbor shared similar thoughts until I hooked up my ballast box to his tractor for a few days to try. He ended up buying one immediately.

400lbs is note much ballast in my experience.
What would be really cool is a BB that doubles as a carry all with ballast capabilities. Weld a quick attach piece on the top that allows you to pin in a carryall box, maybe some trays at the bottom for weights. Now I have the perfect excuse to learn to weld! My wife will be thrilled.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
Great review/write up.
Are you modifing the shipping container or using as is?

Geotech

Equipment
Nov 22, 2018
Arlington
Thanks Pauly. The shipping container...I'm ordering a 40 ft high cube with doors that open on each end. This will allow me to fit the tractor and all implements as well as the tools I keep at the property for projects. Having doors on both ends will allow me to access tools without squeezing around the tractor, or pulling it out, or tripping over implements. It's more expensive to get the box this way, but the costs to modify a regular container add up quickly in money, time and overall quality. This way I also get a brand new box with no holes, rust or dents whatsoever.

For the box blade, I'm thinking about pouring some concrete into a mold that fits neatly on the box blade. I'll can lift the weight onto the box with the loader and then turn around and grab the whole thing with the quick hitch...

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Just remember if you stack implements a few deep in the container, you have to move each of them out of the way before you can get to the one you want. It is rather time consuming. I have them lined up in my garage and it sucks. In fact I just got back from the hardware store. I am building 8 dollys that I can use as needed to set implements on and move them around as I need. This will save a considerable amount of space and get them off the ground.

Another thing to mention..if you have SSQA attachments, store them on 4x4 blocks. If you don't when you go to pick them up you will mar up your container floor.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
J I am building 8 dollys that I can use as needed to set implements on and move them around as I need.
What sort of wheels are you using on dollys? What materials for the body? I want to do similar for my chipper, didn't want to get rubber wheels as I figured they'd get flat spots. Haven't yet done a decent web search to see if I can get steel wheels with a thin skin of rubber, or something similar. Interested to see if you already know the answer.

Geotech

Equipment
Nov 22, 2018
Arlington
Just remember if you stack implements a few deep in the container, you have to move each of them out of the way before you can get to the one you want. It is rather time consuming. I have them lined up in my garage and it sucks. In fact I just got back from the hardware store. I am building 8 dollys that I can use as needed to set implements on and move them around as I need. This will save a considerable amount of space and get them off the ground.

Another thing to mention..if you have SSQA attachments, store them on 4x4 blocks. If you don't when you go to pick them up you will mar up your container floor.
Yeah, it's not ideal to have everything in the container, but the alternative is building a full scale shop and that will be less secure. I'm not there full time, so it's a compromise I can live with. I like the idea of making some dollies, but not sure there will be enough room in the container to roll the implements around each other! Regardless, I will probably at least throw down some 2x4's to keep the marring down. I had not thought about that. Oh, one advantage (probably the only one) that the LP grapple has over the EA grapple is that it has a little kickstand for storage.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
What sort of wheels are you using on dollys? What materials for the body? I want to do similar for my chipper, didn't want to get rubber wheels as I figured they'd get flat spots. Haven't yet done a decent web search to see if I can get steel wheels with a thin skin of rubber, or something similar. Interested to see if you already know the answer.
Home Depot has 3” steel wheeled casters. They are about $5 each. Each has a weight capacity of 300#, so with 4 per dolly that is 1200#. I am using 2x6 material stacked on top of each other at the corners, so carriage bolts are 3.5 inches long. If you get these casters, you will need 5/16 size nuts and bolts.

I am making six Dolly’s, each about 32x32. Originally I was going to make one custom size for each implement, but then decided I got much more flexibility by making them this size. So on the grapple I will use 2 of the Dolly’s. On the Rear blade I will use 2. On the backhoe I will use 3.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Steel wheels look excellent. I don't seem to be able to easily get them in NZ, certainly not for $5. I was thinking of screwing to plywood for mine, I was making a dolly custom for my chipper, so the wheels will sit directly under the chipper rails - the plywood won't have to take much weight.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
U will be like a kid waiting on Christmas the next couple weeks till it gets there. I know I was. Amazing what you can find to do with it once you actually get it. Will be way more than the jobs you have planned so far. I still look forward to a little Kubota seat time every time I get home from trucking. Wish I had got mine years ago. I still think it would be great if I could make a living doing something as fun as playing on my tractor.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Shipping container has worked out great for me storing all of my implements. I made dollys for my implements, out of furniture dollys and 2x6s. I also made a platform to sit on my boxblade to be able to stack the york rake to save room. I use my pallet forks to stack and move implements to and from my container. I set them in the container and can move them by hand to shuffle around what I want. Works really well.

View attachment 39129

View attachment 39130

View attachment 39131

View attachment 39132

View attachment 39133

Last edited:

Geotech

Equipment
Nov 22, 2018
Arlington
That looks terrific. I couldn't think of a need for pallet forks given I'll have a grapple...but now I need pallet forks lol!

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
That looks terrific. I couldn't think of a need for pallet forks given I'll have a grapple...but now I need pallet forks lol!

We are even. I have pallet forks, but I have run the hydraulics up front, and I am sure I need a grapple for something!!!!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Oh yes you definitely need pallet forks. Also get a short tow chain or strap that you can easily hook onto things and loop around fork to lift. Things you don’t want to scrape up with the fork tines.

Yes I like the dolly ideas! All materials in the garage waiting to be constructed. Now if I can find time ;)