New Kubota owner with questions B7100

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
An old Ford guy (3000 and 3600) that needed something with turf tires. Found a Kubota B7100 HST 4 wheel drive with a bad motor along with a good motor. It will run but is hard to start and has allot of blow-by. Was told good motor came out of a low hour B7100 with a bad transmission, had to take the guys word that he had seen it run and had no issues, has been sitting inside for several years.

Looks like have a motor swap in my future and looking for tips on how best to go about it. I did download the manuals from the Kubota site but haven't spent allot of time reading just yet. I have several more questions but need to shoot a couple photos first.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
An old Ford guy (3000 and 3600) that needed something with turf tires. Found a Kubota B7100 HST 4 wheel drive with a bad motor along with a good motor. It will run but is hard to start and has allot of blow-by. Was told good motor came out of a low hour B7100 with a bad transmission, had to take the guys word that he had seen it run and had no issues, has been sitting inside for several years.

Looks like have a motor swap in my future and looking for tips on how best to go about it. I did download the manuals from the Kubota site but haven't spent allot of time reading just yet. I have several more questions but need to shoot a couple photos first.
Bob,

North Idaho Wolfman and D2Cat both have and/or had B7100s....and have replaced engines . One or both will pop in here in few to give you pointers.;)

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
Thanks, looking forward to playing with my new "project".

Found an answer to one of my questions. The spare motor has an extra lever on the valve cover I was wondering about, discovered it was a compression release. The motor in my tractor must be a later motor and the tractor isn't equipped with the linkage. Think I'll just leave it unhooked.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks, looking forward to playing with my new "project".

Found an answer to one of my questions. The spare motor has an extra lever on the valve cover I was wondering about, discovered it was a compression release. The motor in my tractor must be a later motor and the tractor isn't equipped with the linkage. Think I'll just leave it unhooked.
the ones made in the late 70's and the very early 90's had the compression release - I have a 90 with it and the 92 that does not have it.

I rarely if ever use it - cold temps, weak battery are two good reasons to use it.;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Engine swaps on these little monsters are super easy, I can swap a motor in about 4 easy hours, I've done a few.

I would suggest swap the valve covers to get rid of the compression release option.

If your going to do a swap plan on replacing the Pressure plate, Clutch disk, throwout bearing, and Pilot bushing.

Wiring and plumbing are straightforward and simple.

Off of pictures you can get a lot of answers to questions.

You need to get 5 posts to upload pictures so do that first, on this thread, or comment on other threads, even something as simple as you agree, you like, you disagree will get your post count up.

Last edited:

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
Maybe 20 years ago I could do it in 4 hours, these days I figure 4 days :)

Was wondering if I should just swap the valve cover, thanks for the info.

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
Oh! What's the best bet on ordering parts, eBay or ? I buy most of my Ford parts from after market suppliers as New Holland doesn't have many parts for my older tractors. They do not have Kubota parts.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oh! What's the best bet on ordering parts, eBay or ? I buy most of my Ford parts from after market suppliers as New Holland doesn't have many parts for my older tractors. They do not have Kubota parts.
90% of the time I buy genuine kubota parts, and yes kubota still sells a majority of the parts for the b7100's.

Colemanequipment.com or Messicks.com

As far as the clutch setup you want to go aftermarket as OEM is stupid expensive, ebay is the best bet.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
An old Ford guy ... I have several more questions ....
90% of the time I buy genuine kubota parts, and yes kubota still sells a majority of the parts for the b7100's.

Colemanequipment.com or Messicks.com

As far as the clutch setup you want to go aftermarket as OEM is stupid expensive, ebay is the best bet.
Ford once hired W.E. Deming who had taught the post-war Japanese how to mfr and support quality equipt. It's a shame they've forgotten those lessons. I bought my old Ford tractor parts from Yesterdays Tractors. I'm sure glad Kubota supports their machines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming#Early_life_and_work

Last edited:

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
Agree, really like my two Fords, old enough that they can be fixed with a few wrenches.

Got the tin off the Kubota this morning, only complaint is it took 5 different size wrenches/sockets to do it :p Think some of that is the result of the PO using what was in his junk bin at the time.