New kubota l2501 delivered with milky transmission fluid

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
My l2501 hst was delivered Friday afternoon with 1.3 hours on it after a month long wait.. traded up from a bx23s.

Yesterday morning I didn't have much to do so decided to pull the loader off and do a good visual inspection of the tractor and checked all the dealer installed nuts and bolts were tight.. everything was good..

Went to check the fluids and noticed the transmission sight glass was a milky color and overfilled..

I called my sales guy and he had the service department call me and they asked a few questions, after telling them it was delivered Friday afternoon and parked in my shop since they said they will come out today and drain and replace the fluid and filters..

I'm pretty surprised a dealer would not see this.. but then again my bx23s was delivered with no fluid in the front differential and I just filled it up.. I guess there service department is a little sloppy.. or just time crunched..

I use to work for a big John deere and Caterpillar dealer in tx and quit because I got tired of having to rush jobs because of management.. but that's another story.. maybe the same goes on at most dealers..

I guess my point is you should always double check everything on new equipment as some stuff can be overlooked..

I also found the tie rod ends and none if the grease zerts under the tractor were greased, obvious where it was as the dealer used the red and tacky grease so easy to see it..

The engine in this l2501 was built January 2019 so this tractor may of sat around for at least a year covered in plastic in Florida which may account for the water in the hydraulic system... but who knows..

I'll be sure to keep a record of this so if I have any future problems with the transmission or hydraulics I can bring this up..

I had ordered it with top n tilt and 2 rear hydraulics and that is why it took a month to be delivered they say.. the valve blocks under the seat for rear hydraulics were also left bare metal and have started to rust so I'll be cleaning and painting them.. good times

Attachments

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
It is hard for me to tell by the picture, but I was thinking perhaps the color is normal. The level indicator has a bright white color. Since the fluid is a amber color, it may be overfilled by that picture, but I am not sure if it is a milky color.

Also, the fluid level window is VERY sensitive and can read high or low unless parked on absolutely level ground.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Yes, the fluid color looks fine. That white background is a little deceiving. You can see the color of the fluid by looking at the edge where the white disc is suspended. It may be overfull but as stated above level ground is key.
FYI, 8oz-10oz will take it from low to overfull.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I think your right.. looks like there is some kind if white disk, and the fluid is clear around it because you can see the edges of a white circle and a bubble on top that is clear..

Sure does look milky if you dont look very close and notice the round white thing in there..

Wonder why it has that white thing in there.. going to call the dealer and tell them nevermind

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When did Kubota start putting grease fittings on the tie rod ends? News to me.

Tractors are all shipped with fluids in them including the front axle case. It' up to the selling dealer to determine if the levels are full.

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
Looks normal as that’s how mine looked, and looks, before and after I changed the fluid at 50 hours - yes, I know it’s not called for.
When the fluid is level in the glass the disk behind the fluid will be a definite white. The disk is giving you the impression it looks milky.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I've been meaning to check my front axle fluid, and you know how that goes. But, this thread prompted me to check it this evening. I had been putting it off and putting it off and have 31 hours on the tractor. Well, wouldn't you know it, virtually no oil is in the front end. I had a gallon jug of gear oil that had been open and used. I was so mad, I did not look at how much was in the jug. I'm guessing about 3 quarts. I put it all in and never got it to weep out, but it is somewhat close using a zip tie as a dipstick. For all I know, it could take another quart and I think it holds 4.5 quarts.

I don't know whether to blame the dealer or me as I know better than to trust people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

flogler

Equipment
2017 BX23s
Dec 18, 2019
Debary, FL. USA
The white ball is your fluid level indicator as the fluid could be hard to see. We had them on our city buses for the AC refridegerent sight glass so you could see level.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I'm use to old tractors with dipsticks., my bx has a dipstick too.. well... I guess I jumped the gun when I saw white and was just annoyed and did not look at it good enough.. wont make that mistake again

I do like that the tie rods have grease zerts and are not just sealed..

I guess I should check the front dif oil too.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm use to old tractors with dipsticks., my bx has a dipstick too.. well... I guess I jumped the gun when I saw white and was just annoyed and did not look at it good enough.. wont make that mistake again

I do like that the tie rods have grease zerts and are not just sealed..

I guess I should check the front dif oil too.

No harm in being careful. I procrastinated. It bites me in the butt every time. You'd think I'd learn by now. I've cooled off a little. I know I had some oil in the front axle, as I could see some on a wire I used to touch the bottom of the axle housing. But, it ain't much. It probably did not hurt it, as much of my work has been backhoe oriented. But, it didn't help. I'm gonna stop by the dealer tomorrow and let them know.

But, DEFINITELY check the front axle fluid. Don't wait like I did.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
normal.

the fluid gets some aeration from running in the transmission gears, similar to a bunch of egg beaters running in oil. It's gonna foam a little; makes it look "milky"--if you look very close it's just a bunch of tiny bubbles.

I hate sight windows!! Go back to a dipstick but problem with that is that the majority of people never check the fluid levels anyway, so the sight window is a less inconvient way to check it. Next up: sight window for the engine oil (wouldn't surprise me to see that).

You'd be surprised how many tractors I see that have 400+ hours on the original oil and all the filters. I have an L3901 in the shop now with 890 hours on the original oil & filter, hyd/hst oil & filters too. Was brought in because "it is getting weak". Should've seen the air filter. Or dirt filter whatever you call it. I don't know how it ran at all. ZERO maintenance, ever.

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
yes, I know it’s not called for.
My book says to change the fluid at 50. I wonder what the difference is between models.